Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia:Sunday

Good morning everyone!

Our tour today takes us to Osaka, Japan where a group of artists are taking no-longer used parts of the urban streetscape and turning them into something amusing and lovely. What is being repurposed and how are they being used now?

Cynthia

Comments (15)

• thinman
    9 years ago

Quite a stumper there, Cynthia. Trying to think of city things that wouldn't be needed any more. Maybe watering troughs for horses? Ha!

I'm sure that we're all going to need some clues.

TM

P.S. We have a family do at the beach today, so I may not be back until later. Too bad it's 60ð, cloudy, and breezy. :-(

This post was edited by thinman on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 9:58

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Ahh, that's too bad TM - it's family though, so it will be enjoyable.

I too am stumped Cynthia!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have fun, TM! Our temps are supposed to drop on Tuesday when the polar vortex arrives. Hope the cooler weather energizes me. I am still being awfully lazy.

So, if I do get energized, I may actually go to the mall. I hate going there-I basically hate shopping altogether, but we really need a new home phone. Ours is one of those with a base unit and satellite units, but only the base needs to be connected to a phone jack. At this point, none of the handsets will hold a charge for more than about a minute, so...And yes, I think I have griped about this before, but now I am ready to go ahead and get rid of the landline. Cell phone for the house, here we come.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I seem to have misplaced my crystal ball again :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Perhaps Superman could be of assistance?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

OK, I think I have the what...lol. Now, what they are now used for....hmmmm.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Since it is just way too hot and humid to be out today, I have been thinking. Always a dangerous past time. LOL. Anyway, I think I need a water feature. I have several bird baths, but I want something with the sound of water...and maybe fish, although that would require a lot more work, I think. Sigh. I doubt I will ever have one, but it is fun to contemplate.

Yes, Nancy, I bet you do have it, although I probably should have said Clark Kent rather than his alter ego. The ones in Osaka are not as iconic as those in London, but what these artists have done is very cool.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Just popping in before I am off again on this busy day/evening.
    Superman, my favorite superhero. Got the item, now wondering what they are used for, maybe a water feature? The one that comes to mind is the one I'm always looking for but that doesn't seem to be too practical.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm back. The sun came out, it warmed up, and the wind eased a lot, so all was well with the family. Kids even went in the water, though it was pretty chilly.

I caught on to the phone clue, and with the fish clue, I have a vision of what might be happening in Osaka. I'm thinking in terms of something like the TV show Tanked.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Oh wow TM - you're right - doesn't sound practical but it would be cool.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I will go along with TM's suggestion that telephone booths are being made into fish aquariums. Being Japan that would be Koi, large goldfish.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Four stars for TM, Nancy, and Bobbie. Some of the old, unused telephone booths in Osaka are indeed being transformed into aquaria stocked with goldfish. I wonder how long they will survive. It looks to me as if there are too many fish in the pictured booth. I also wonder how they feed them. Still, it is kind of cool and a creative use for the phone booths.

I am watching le Tour de France. It is my absolute favorite sport competition. I also get to enjoy seeing la belle France! Today is especially fun because it is Bastille Day which we always celebrate. Used to have champagne, but now that Chuck is in recovery, we have sparkling cider. Sigh. Not quite the same, but I won't tell him that!

Enjoy your week. Next Sunday, we are driving to PA for the day-party for my 'second' son who is coming east from Colorado with his fiancée. I can still do a question, but after about 2:00 I will be gone and not back until Monday. If anyone else has a question and you want to pick up the trivia on Sunday, just say so. Happy to step aside for a week. If not, no worries.

Again, happy Monday! You may each pick your own four stars-this is a beach in New Zealand. Very cool.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Phone booth aquaria

• thinman
    9 years ago

That was very cool, and fun to see the photos. I agree, that does look like a lot of fish in one spot, but I suppose they have some system for keeping them healthy.

Thanks for the stars and the good clues, Cynthia. It was a fun question.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Really cool as is choosing my own stars. Thanks for the fun. Cynthia.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Those are amazing - maybe Dr. Who pops by and feeds them!! Thanks for the Fun Cynthia!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks