Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning all. It is a slightly damp morning here. I guess we had a little rain over night (the operative words being little and slight-the hydrangea are still wilting). Oh well, more water from the hose, I suppose, will be necessary. Ugh.

So, for today, a musical question...sort of. Do you remember the marvelous group "The Traveling Wilburys"? The group came out of an unplanned studio session and included George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, and Tom Petty. Do you know how they got their name?

Cynthia

Comments (23)

• thinman
    9 years ago

You're getting an early start today, Cynthia. I do remember The Traveling Wilburys, though I can't come up with any of their songs. I'm sure you will clue us in today about their name.

Trying to come up with some combo of their names to get Wilburys.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

That was a George Harrison group wasn't it? I'm drawing a blank on how they got the name.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, Nancy, I have some complaints about my Comcast equipment. Sometimes the feed freezes or the sound stops. Maybe I should call.

Yes, Annette. The group recorded a song for a side B record, but it was decided it was too good to be relegated to side B even though there were a couple small errors and they ended up recording an entire album. They considered calling the group the Trembling Wilburys. Lynne suggested Traveling and I think they made a good choice not staying with George's suggestion and going with Traveling even though they never did tour together. The part you need to get is only how they settled on Wilbury (or Wilburys).

I still have their two albums. Sigh. What a combination of talent! Also, George was always my favorite. I saw him live once. Whew. Still in love with that man. :)

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is the first song they did together

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Anything you want, Cynthia - you got it!! I'll listen to the song in a minute - funny documentary on CBC right now.

As to the name, I have an idea. The album notes were written by a very famous plant whisperer who may have been involved in the naming. I can't quite remember but will wait with the others for clues.

Nancy - who had forgotten how Roy Orbison's voice could give goosebumps.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Ooh, I knew this one. Dang, can't get it to the forefront of my memory. Need a clue to jog it loose.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, so glad to hear Roy's voice again. Hard to imagine that group making any mistakes, huh?

I have been looking at French real estate today because I have to keep an eye on Annabelle who had ACL surgery on Friday. I like practicing my French. It is so hard to learn a new language. So much slang that one never quite understands. I really would like to spend a few years in France just to get to the point that I know the slang terms. Heck, I don't even know all the English slang terms.

ÃÂ toute ÃÂ l'heure mes amis.

Cynthia

Oh and French is not a clue ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Ok, so you are telling me perhaps that Wilbury is slang for something.....hmmmm.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, no mistake there, Nancy! It was a term coined by George Harrison and Jeff Lynne. It was a play on words, actually.

You know, it is funny to realize how much technology has advanced from those days. Still, even then, remixes were used regularly.

Cynthia

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 15:40

• thinman
    9 years ago

Just a wild idea: If you do a remix, do you bury your mistakes? Probably a real stretch, huh?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

That could work, TM!!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Something to do with mistakes, alternate to a swear word, can you tell I'm reaching here LOL.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why, TM, I am so impressed! The genius is back! :). Between you, Nancy, and Annette, we'll have it!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Dear son is here and knows about the Traveling Willburys. He said after Roy Oubison died someone else replaced him on the second album though didn't rember who.

I am fond of Orbison's music. Saw a PBS documentary about him and realized that I knew all the lyrics for most of his songs. Never could get into Bob Dylan even though he is revered here in his home state.

From the conversation above I take it Wilbury comes from will bury our mistakes.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like they just had so much fun. Silliness is sometimes a good thing! Love the nods to the past!

Jim Keltner was the drummer on both Wilburys albums. After Nancy's question yesterday, I should note that he and I share a birthday. He was born 10 years to the day before me! His name in the group was Buster Sidebury. :)

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Runaway

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I wondered who the drummer was!! I watch a British show called New Tricks that uses the End of the Line as it's theme music - love it. I also love the video of that song, which was shot after Roy Orbison's death - they had an empty chair with his guitar and a photo on it - so cool!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha, Nancy, you beat me to it. That was going to be my closing song. I love it. I also watch that show sometimes. It is on at 2:00 in the afternoon here, so I don't see it regularly.

Bobbie, they did not replace Orbison on the second album, which they called The Traveling Wilburys Vol 3. Haha.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Sorry to steal your thunder - Cynthia - I get going when i'm in youtube!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

So it has to do with will bury or we'll bury, but we're not quite all the way there, right?

Still puzzling.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TM, you have it-We'll bury! Now combine with the rest that the others said and you get the source of the name. You have the key part that became the shorthand slang for something which they then used for their name-wilburys.

I actually think I need to give it to you all at this point.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, for all of you, four stars. Working together as a team always brings success. Yes, the term was invented by George Harrison and Jeff Lynne. During a recording session, some of their equipment was faulty and resulted in errors which Lynne pointed out. George responded, "We'll bury 'em in the mix." From then on, errors were referred to as Wilburys and the term was appropriated for the group.

You definitely got the errors and TM came up with the "We'll bury..." Part, so congratulations to the team!

Here is a link that might be useful: More

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love this star, but it was only one and I don't know how to clone it! Also wanted to leave you with "End of the Line" that Nancy mentioned. It is such a happy song-makes me want to dance. Have a wonderful week.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: End of the Line

• thinman
    9 years ago

Wow, I thought I was really stretching there, but it turned out to be OK. You never know what will pop out of your subconscious, do you?

End of The Line was a good song, and today's question was also good. Thanks, Cynthia. Fun topic.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Love the musical star. Thanks for the fun, Cynthia.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms