Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Posted by midnightsmum 4b ON (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 8:27

Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! It is a clear sunny morning, and the heat has again broken. I think the yard sale is off till next Saturday, so I can play in the weeds.

Well, today is my birthday!! No, no - it's OK - you didn't know. I don't celebrate too much anymore, except the survival thing - that is a good thing, and sometimes surprises me. I have had a good time along the way. What is kinda cool is the fact that I share this date with some really uber-cool people, over-achievers of the highest order.

Let's see how many you can guess from the following clues, and those that will follow.
2 are British, 2 are American, 3 are male, 1 is female (funny how that math works), 2 are older than I am, and 2 are younger; 3 have won Oscars; actually, 1 had won both an Oscar and a Nobel prize. One is a Beauty; 1 attended a school another co-founded, 1 received some Gold records, maybe even Platinum. Pretty intimidating, yeah?? I am such an underachiever. To be in a room with these luminaries would be amazing, but only 3 are still with us - well you know not with us, but alive. I'd be a spot on the floor!!

So, this may suggest someone or another - maybe no one ? I'll be back with perhaps more obvious clues - if you ain't too proud to beg!!

Nancy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Oh boy, do I need clues for this one.

Annette

o

Oh dear Annette, have I blindsided you? Even the devil deserves sympathy sometimes!! ;-)

Nancy.

o

Happy birthday, Nancy!

The only one I have a guess for is the one who won both an Oscar and. Nobel.

Will be waiting with Annette for clues!

Cynthia

o

Oh but you've had several so far....I guess I haven't given 7 or 21 yet!!

Nancy.

o

Just to make sure I have the numbers right, we are talking about 7 people altogether, only one of which is female, right?

TM

o

Happy birthday, Nancy.

I am thinking we are talking four people. Three are male and one is female.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:53

o

"3 are male, 1 is female" - maybe the new math blindsided you, TM. '7' is a clue, but maybe it isn't a usual suspect!!

Nancy.

o

Well, let's see - one has been knighted. The Nobel prize was won in 1925, for Literature and the Oscar for this other candidate was won in 1938 - he would have been chagrined to be offered a knighthood, cause he really wasn't British but is thought of that way. That's 2 people. Does that help at all?

Nancy.

o

Another hot day here then more moderate temps and no rain for several days so maybe I can get some digging done.

I wonder if 21 is a clue. Know a spacey young Canadian singer but not sure how old he is.

o

Okay, I have one of the men, I think. You gave a clue that led me to him and which is one of my favorite movies! I thought I was right and then Bobbie's clue nailed it for me. Yippee.

I thought you meant one person won both the Nobel and Oscar and I had someone for that, but apparently I was way off on that assumption! :(

Back to thinking.

Cynthia

Oohooh-just reread. I have two. Remind me to tell you the best name I ever heard for a Labrador Retriever.-they called him Jack, but that wasn't his registered name. ;)

o

No Canadians in the mix, Bobbie, but two are 'spacey'. 21 is not a clue, but 7 is. I would be surprised if none of you got our Nobel/Oscar winner, supermen that you are. I hope you understand the gravity of the situation.

Nancy.

o

Sorry, got Canadian and Brit mixed up. I know better. Thinking too hard about the other clues.

o

Okay, so one person did win an Oscar AND the Nobel prize???

Cynthia

o

Is one of them K.S.?
The gal I'm thinking of played a cop in TV series amongst other things.

Annette

o

Yes, one person won an Oscar and a Nobel Prize for literature. He was going to refuse it on principal, but his wife convinced him otherwise!! He did reject the monetary award, requesting it be used to finance translation of August Strindberg's works from Swedish to English. Hmmm....

Nancy.

o

Oh, for Pete's sake. I saw the first three numbers 2, 2, and 3 and added them up to get 7. That's a special kind of stupid. Now that I've set the low-water mark, the rest of you will look that much smarter.

In spite of lots of clues, I'm not making much headway, but at least I know how many people we're talking about now.

Red-faced in Michigan,
TM

o

Oh, Annette - I missed your post - KS indeed. Our woman made a brief foray into TV as a Working Girl - not sure about a cop.

Nancy.

o

lol TM - the math joke was for you, too!!

Nancy.

o

Yes, Got KS.

The dog I mentioned was Jumping Jack Splash. How perfect is that for a Lab?!

Cynthia

o

Sigh, rereading again, picked up that one of the men is not really British. Hmmm. So, if I am correct about the other Brit (that it is a male), the woman must be American. Hmmm again.

Cynthia

o

Nancy I was thinking of the dame in 'Prime Suspect' :). Of course I might be on the wrong wave length then the rest of you guys LOL.

Annette

o

That is the perfect name for a lab!! The other man hails from greener fields. I tend always to lump them in together. Uh-oh. Of the two that hail from the other side of the pond, one started a school in England that the other attended, even though he was not a native - hmmmm. Does this add up?

Nancy.

o

With Annette's clue I have one American male and one British female.
Working on the Jack clue, hmm, maybe John.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 17:51

o

Bobbie, you need to go with the whole name and it is a play on words.

Well, if the woman is a Brit, then it would be two Brits (1male, 1female) and only one American(KS) with one other hailing from Ireland (green clue?). I think Nancy put that Irishman in with the Brits -see her post about him not wanting a knighthood and people thinking of him as British! I think the woman must be American. With the Working Girl clue, I am thinking of a blonde whose mother was also an actress and who may not enjoy watching and feeding the birds as much as I do!

I haven't picked up on clues for that Dame, even though I know who you mean! Guess I had better re-read!

Of course, my track record is not all that great, so...

Cynthia

o

Ok, I put some of the clues together and have come up with an American actress. Bully for you, you say. Well, it took me awhile.

So I have the two Americans, one male and one female.

Now to work on the Irishman and the Brit. Wonder if the Brit won the Oscar for best musical score?

o

As I am counting the oscars I realize that the musician did not win an oscar.
Think I have figured that one out with Cynthia's dog clue.

I feel a sense of satisfaction getting three. Now if I can figure out the forth.
Think I need another clue.

o

Jumping Jack Splash duh, the light bulb just came on, I think I may have that one too.

Annette

o

...and before I forget :) A GREAT BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU NANCY, hope you had a good one.

Annette

o

It was exactly the day I hoped it would be - no fanfare, perfect weather, laundry off the line, a few plants to divide and plant, dinner in the Q, and trivia with you!! Does it get any better?? I think not - our esteemed date sharers might have more lofty goals!!

Satisfaction, indeed - and bully for you. Now while many Englishmen have won musical awards, this guy gets so many more kudos - born in Ireland, died in England, hence why many regard him as English, and 2nd to only one other of his kind in the language. Summer is the time for sharing many of his works, and Eliza would be proud.
Annette, while the above dabble in prime numbers, there were no suspects.

Are we getting there?

Nancy.

o

By George, I think I've got it! Thanks, Nancy.

Kevin Spacey
Sandra Bullock
Mick Jagger
George Bernard Shaw

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 2:19

o

No stars at all for me today -- just too lazy to try to work this all out, I guess.

But ... Happy Birthday to you, Nancy! It sounds like you had the maximum amount of excitement that we can expect at our advanced ages. :-)

Thanks for working so hard to provide us with good questions and clues.

TM

o

Kevin Spacey
Mick Jagger
and I thought Helen Mirren, these were the 3 I came up with.
Had no idea of the fourth.

Annette

o

Hmm, okay, I will go with Kevin Spacey, Melanie Griffith, Mick Jagger, and G. B. Shaw (thanks for the Eliza clue-was considering Oscar Wilde, but he died too early and no Nobel or Oscar that I know of and although Yeats was awarded a Nobel, he would never have been considered English!).

Will await the American woman's name. That is the only one I am not sure of and couldn't pick up on enough clues to get it.

Cynthia

o

Well, by George, Bobbie - you got there, with Annette and Cynthia nipping at your heels. TM, really, I t hought you'd get one or two, but not seven - lol.

George Bernard Shaw (26 July 1856 - 2 November 1950) was an Irish playwright and a co-founder of the London School of Economics. Although his first profitable writing was music and literary criticism, in which capacity he wrote many highly articulate pieces of journalism, his main talent was for drama, and he wrote more than 60 plays. He is the only person to have been awarded both a Nobel Prize in Literature (1925) and an Oscar (1938), for his contributions to literature and for his work on the film Pygmalion (adaptation of his play of the same name), respectively. Shaw turned down all other awards and honours, including the offer of a knighthood.

Sir Michael Philip "Mick" Jagger (born 26 July 1943) is an English musician, singer, songwriter and actor, best known as the lead vocalist and a founder member of the Rolling Stones. Jagger studied business courses at the London School of Economics, and had seriously considered becoming either a journalist or a politician, comparing the latter to a pop star.

Jagger's career has spanned over 50 years, and he has been described as "one of the most popular and influential frontmen in the history of rock & roll". In 1989 Jagger was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and in 2004 into the UK Music Hall of Fame with the Rolling Stones. Multiple Silver, Gold and Platinum albums and records.

Kevin Spacey, CBE (born Kevin Spacey Fowler; July 26, 1959) is an American actor, film director, screenwriter, and film producer. He began his career as a stage actor during the 1980s, before being cast in supporting roles in film and television. He gained critical acclaim in the early 1990s, culminating in his first Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for The Usual Suspects (1995), followed by an Academy Award for Best Actor for American Beauty . During a career which has earned Spacey several Emmy and Golden Globe nominations, his other starring roles include Seven (1995), L.A. Confidential (1997), Pay It Forward (2000), K-PAX (2001), and Superman Returns (2006). He was the artistic director of the Old Vic theatre in London from 2004 to 2014. He currently stars as Frank Underwood in the Netflix series House of Cards.

Sandra Annette Bullock (born July 26, 1964) is an American actress and producer. She rose to fame in the 1990s with roles in films such as Demolition Man (1993), Speed (1994), The Net (1995), While You Were Sleeping (1995), A Time to Kill (1996), and Hope Floats (1998). In the new millennium, Bullock starred in Miss Congeniality (2000), Two Weeks Notice (2002), The Lake House (2006), and the critically acclaimed Crash (2004) and Gravity (2013). Bullock had initially turned down the role of Leigh Anne Tuohy in The Blind Side three times due to a discomfort with portraying a devout Christian. She was awarded the Academy Award for Best Actress, Golden Globe Award for Best Actress Motion Picture Drama, Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role and Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Actress. The Blind Side also received an Academy Award for Best Picture nomination.

So, there is our foursome!! Fearsome, huh?? I think so.

So, for Bobbie:
 photo stars-3_zps97a9a39b.gif photo stars-3_zps97a9a39b.gif photo stars-3_zps97a9a39b.gif photo stars-3_zps97a9a39b.gif

For Cynthia:
 photo stars-3_zps97a9a39b.gif photo stars-3_zps97a9a39b.gif photo stars-3_zps97a9a39b.gif

And for Annette:
 photo stars-3_zps97a9a39b.gif photo stars-3_zps97a9a39b.gif

Thanks to all for my Birthday wishes and for playing. See you next week. Now I'm off to check out Cynthia's question!!

Nancy.

o

Thanks for the fun, Nancy. I enjoyed finding the clues and figuring out the answers. I see Helen Mirren's birthday was also yesterday. Cynthia's comments and the clues gravity and spacey led me to Bullock.

You are in good company.

Think I will goggle and see which famous and infamous characters share my birthday.

o

I had no idea that Helen Mirren shared the date. Now I am really depressed - lol. None of my clues were going there. It is cool to see who shares your birth date. GBS really impressed me - Mick Jagger not so much - I was such a Beatles fan. Kevin Spacey is such a great artist - I have always loved his performances from Wise guy on up. Sandra Bullock interests me. - perhaps she is now hitting her stride. If you haven't seen The Blind Side, I highly recommend it.

Thanks Bobbie.

Nancy.

o

Thanks for the stars. I never heard of The Blind Side. I am so out of the loop! Fun question. I have checked my birthday for people and events. Not terribly exciting, but a few interesting ones. Walter Lantz who created Woody Woodpecker might be the most fun. Haha.

Lots of fun as always, Nancy!

Cynthia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here