Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

A bright good morning to you all!

I am off to the store early this morning, so this will be quick and then I will be back with clues.

Today, you need to come up with a battle name and the name of the man who encouraged, advised on and led the attack. Today is the anniversary of the battle which is remembered in a spectacular film-one of my favorites.

Had today been July 1-3, I would have asked about Gettysburg and Joshua Chamberlain who could be considered one of least-known, but most important men in U.S history. If you are bored, look him up. Fascinating gentleman. Today's question involves a different era and an international war.

Cynthia

Comments (22)

• thinman
    9 years ago

Come on clues!

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Stumped here....

Nancy - also a gorgeous day though most of my efforts will be inside till later.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The part of the man I am looking for in the movie was originally offered to Marlon Brandon and then to Albert Finney. I cannot imagine either of them succeeding in the role. The man chosen was perfect and actually bore an uncanny resemblance to the real life person.

The weather here seems to be getting more humid and hot as the day goes on. I really should get out and work, but we are going to see friends for dinner, so I am being lazy. I would dearly love to live near the sea. Perfect day for a dip. Would need lots of sunscreen though. I used to tan, but now I seem to get red if I spend a whole day on the beach.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I just know that post is peppered with clues, but nothing is sinking in......

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, you know me and movies :). You say M.B. and A.F. turned it down, how about P.O. ? A man looking at his refection in a knife blade comes to mind.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been watering here for days and the place is back to being a desert one day after I move the sprinkler to a new area. Aaarrrggghh.

Maybe I have been too Lean with the clues, Nancy. Let's see...Alec Guiness wanted to play the part, but he was too old. Still, in the movie in another part.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

OK, DL, know him.....working on that. PO just popped into my head, desert, hmm m. I know the movie,but the battle is lost to me. Who could forget those piercing blue eyes?!
    Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I am reading and trying to make sense of the clues. Think I have the movie.
    With an early morning rain it has been easy weeding but exhausting as it
    is hot and humid here today after several perfect days of low humidity and temps in the seventies. Looking forward to a few of those nice days again mid week. Am cooling off and may nap. Perhaps the answer will come to me in a dream.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure that the desert clue did it for me, and I also came up with name of the movie and the actor P.O. Still trying to come up with the battle.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

The name of a WW2 battle is stuck in my head. Not sure I can think of the WW1 event. I read a great book about that war in Africa, told from the German perspective - vvvvery interesting.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guessing you have the name of the man portrayed by the relatively unknown (at the time) Peter O'Toole who really was incredible in the part. He lost out on the Oscar, though, to Gregory Peck who won for "To Kill a Mockingbird."

The battle was for control of a port city which is now undergoing great changes in hopes of becoming a premier tourist destination. Driving out the Ottomans helped free up supply lines from Egypt for Arab and British forces further north. Even more importantly, it alleviated the threat of a Turkish offensive against the strategically important Suez Canal.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I remember a scene from the movie with them charging into battle but can only remember that the area started with an A.

Some time ago when I was reading info on another Brit known for mapping that area there was a note that he did not get along with this man and felt that this man's claims to having explored the area were exaggerated. Can't remember who the other guy was but it may have been a trivia question and I read up on both of them afterwards.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 20:00

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Well, A makes me think of a sunken library. Not sure what else...it would have been a trivia question from someone far, far cleverer than I!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Does the name of the port remind you of an airline you might fly to Tel Aviv?

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Well it might have been from the book of early British philosophers, scientists, astronomers, maybe The Philosophers' Club or something like that.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not like an airline (El Al?) if you are thinking of El Alamein. More like an evergreen shrub with gold-speckled leaves, perhaps, but only sort of close to the Latin name (commonly called spotted laurel, I think). You would need to change a couple of letters, but not the first or last two!

So, yes, T. E. Lawrence is the fellow. Keep thinking about the battle. See you in the morning.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

El Alamein was what was stuck in my mind.

I hate that shrub and now can't remember what it is called....also doesn't make me think of a battle, cept the one to train it.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Mmmmm. a gold spotted shrub, Aucuba japonica? I don't like it either.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am also not a fan of Aucuba. I tore out the ones that were here when we moved in 15 years ago!

Anyway, I was trying to get you to Aqaba. Didn't do such a good job.

So four stars for all of you for getting T. E. Lawrence. Going back to the movies, did you know that O'Toole was offered the role of Zhivago after filming Lawrence of Arabia? He turned it down because he was exhausted from the filming of L of A. His co-star accepted the role and he certainly succeeded in owning that role just as O'Toole owns Lawrence.

The link has the history of Aqaba and talks about what it is like today. Sounds like an interesting spot to visit if that area ever calms down.

Have a marvelous week everyone and thanks for playing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqaba

• thinman
    9 years ago

Aqaba. I don't think that was anywhere in my memory, not even in the deepest darkest crevices. It's been a long time since the movie, and as I try to recall it, I find that I am not absolutely positive that I ever actually saw it. Or maybe I did and just can't remember more than an image or two. I was in the wrong war, thinking El Alamein. It didn't really fit with Lawrence of Arabia very well, did it?

Anyhow, thanks for entertaining and enlightening us, Cynthia. Now I'll follow your link and learn more.

TM

P.S. It looks like you're in for a couple of hot and humid days, Cynthia. Better stay inside with the AC.

This post was edited by thinman on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 12:30

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Aucuba and Aqaba, not that far apart if one has Aqaba somewhere in ones head.

Thanks for the question and info. When I last saw the old move channel promotion for L of A I thought I should watch that again as don't remember much of it. A little too late for this question but definitely have it on my to watch list now.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Great question cyn - I too had El Alamein stuck in my head. many years since I have seen it!! Thanks for the fun.

Nancy.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?