Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fading early-Weekend Trivia-Saturday

Posted by cyn427 z7aN. VA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 8:40

Believe it or not, I have actually just come inside from pulling weeds in the backyard. It is a total mess which is why I rarely post pictures. Maybe next year. It is so darn hot already that I have given up the fight for today. I am getting too old for this! Watered all day yesterday to try to make the pulling easy. Worked in some spots but not others. Oh well.

So, for today...

Can you name the one cause that no one in the US has died from since 1951? Not sure if this is true in Canada as well. I should try to check that.

Stay cool all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fading early-Weekend Trivia-Saturday

Mornin all, I have one guess but want to think on it for awhile, I'll be back later.

Annette

o

At first I thought of smallpox or similar and then the obvious answer jumped up and hit me.

I'll post again later (if I remember).

Libby........who is getting old too :)

o

Going purely on Libby's hint, I'm going to guess that no US citizen one has died since 1951 from a smashing blow to the head by a baseball bat wielding kangaroo. I'm pretty sure you'll find that this is true.

Though it's almost inconceivable, if I come up with a better guess, I'll be back.

ThinMan

o

Think about it. How many death certificates have 'old age' as the cause of death?

Libby

o

TM, LOL-really! You get four stars plus one for extra credit even if you don't pay attention to the others!

Guess this was pretty easy. Surprised me though.

o

Oh darn, my guess was smallpox but you know TM's answer sounded pretty good to me :)

Annette

o

Well, I wouldn't say it was TOO easy. I hope not anyway, because I didn't get it. :-(

TM

o

Why, TM, what do you mean? Who wooda thunk that a nice Michigan boy would have known about those darn roos that used to wreak havoc here on the East Coast? HA.

You still can guess-you always gave us tons of leeway...

o

Four stars (****) for Libby and extra credit for TM who took her clue and ran with it.

The US government banned the use of old age as a cause of death in 1951.

Does Canada allow that designation? I sort of like it-"Yeah, she lived so long, old age finally caught up with her." Not a bad way to go in my mind. ;)

Thanks for playing all!

o

Good one, Cynthia. I remembered it when I saw it in Libby's answer, but sure didn't remember when it went into effect.

TM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here