Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekend Trivia -- Saturday

Posted by thinman Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 8:54

Happy weekend, dear cottagers. In the US, most of you will probably be enjoying a three day weekend, and may also have a slight edge in today's trivia question.

What is the name of the song (or the poem, for extra stars) in which these lines appear?

A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wiped out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

ThinMan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekend Trivia -- Saturday

Mornin' all, and a very happy 4th weekend to all my friends across the border.
I don't know the answer for sure but I have a pretty good guess being what weekend you're all celebrating :). Hope you all have great weather, good food and are enjoying both with family and friends....later.

Annette

o

Hi All - happy 4th!! I suspect the same as Annette. Great weather here - we had a great 1st at my friend's lake cottage.

Nancy.

o

Good morning, all. We are heading into Georgetown past Arlington Cemetary, Iwo Jima Memorial, and across Key Bridge today. May attend the dress rehearsal for the 4th of July concert this evening. Not sure the 1812 Overature will be the same without the fireworks of tomorrow. Still, should be fun. It is always a joyously patriotic evening.

If you haven't realized it yet, I have a guess. Will try to get back later with it.

o

I'm guessing it's your national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner. Have a great 4th tomorrow.

Annette

o

Right you are! It's the Star Spangled Banner, which started as a poem titled The Defense of Fort McHenry. A very interesting account of the battle, poem, and song can be found here.

Good job, Annette, Cynthia, and Nancy. Cynthia, I could tell that you had the key to the answer.

for you three.

TM

o

Thanks, TM. Happy 4th to all "south of the border" gardeners here! Thanks Nancy and Annette for your wishes, too. Glad you are out and about, Nancy. We really should be better in knowing about your holidays-a Happy Belated Canada Day to you both!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here