Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning all!

It is a lovely cool morning today-the third in a row for us. Now, if we could just get some rain.

Today's question may be easy and it may be difficult. Can you tell me which novel has sold more than any other? We are looking at verified sales over the years. My favorite novel, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings came in second.

I will be back with clues should you need them.

Cynthia

Comments (35)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Good morning to you too, Cynthia. It's cool here too - in the high fifties - and we had a ton of rain yesterday and last night. The only downside to that is the sailboat regatta that is hosted here this weekend.

{{gwi:607412}}

It has become a pretty big deal in our small town, but the weather is disappointing for sailing.

I'm probably going to need clues for this one, at least judging by the book that is in second place. I would never have guessed that, so I'm clearly out of touch.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    So nice and cool today :) I might even get some work done.

TM, your picture is awesome. It reminds me of fishing trips on the st Lawrence.

A novel, hmm so I guess the Bible is out.
    I'm not sure, but I think I have a pretty good guess. Parts of the novel I am thinking of has similarities to the movie "The good Earth"
    :) Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, what a wonderful photo, TM! Few things are prettier than sailboats on the water.

Laura, not sure. Is the movie like the book by Pearl Buck? You could be right in one aspect, but mostly I would say the two are not so similar.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good morning,All. The heat has broken here, as well. Gorgeous picture, TM - nothing prettier than sail boats asailin'! Where on the St. Lawrence did you hang out, Laura? That is a pretty place, as well, and close to here - parts of it anyways.

Clues are needed here!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, TM's picture could be construed as a clue if you look carefully and pay attention to details. Of course, I am reaching and it appeared so to me only because I know the answer here. ;)

I am trying to think of clues that won't totally give this one away. Will keep working on that.

Our neighbor just brought her new adopted dog over to meet ours. Of course, we also have the crazy grandpuppy, so it was like a scene out of a movie. Koda seemed to want to attack through the door. I managed to get Clouseau out and lock Annabelle and Koda in the house. Then we let Jonas (they seriously need to change that dog's name) in the yard. He and Clouseau were fine for the most part. I do worry a little because Jonas is at least part if not all pitbull from the looks of him and no matter how sweet they seem, I still tend to worry about them.He seemed to get a little aggressive at one point, so we ended the playdate. I don't need any mad dogs around my two sweeties! (Does that narrow down the nationality of the author for you?)

Cynthia

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 11:27

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Nancy,
    Quebec mostly and a little place called st anns? or st marts? I was very young. We spent every summer up there until I was about 14. I was always in my own world back then. Never paid much attention to details.
    Now there is one detail in TM's picture that strikes me as a tad bit odd. Reminds me of TM's song from a couple weeks ago.
    Cyn, I never read the book. I saw the movie as a tween and it popped in my head. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I thought of one novel immediately which might fit for the photo clue but doesn't fit for nationality if nationality is French. Need more clues.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"There is prodigious strength in sorrow and despair" Laura, isn't there? I am thinking you may be on the right track.

I cannot believe that I have only a month left until I go back to school. I have been collecting ideas and books for the kids to read. We always had summer reading lists when I was in middle and high school, so I really did turn into a reader. I doubt that any of my students have opened a book this summer. I read Lord of the Rings when I was fourteen. I think this book may have been on our list the same year or perhaps we just read it during the school year.

I have collected all the Kids Posts from our Sunday papers. The kids enjoy those. Come fall they will have articles on the football teams. It is so hard to live here in DC and be a fan of a team in another city. My son is a huge Redskins fan, but coming from Philadelphia makes that difficult for me. I do pretend to be other than I am at times though. ;)

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

It is dead calm here right now and the sailors are just bobbing around out there under a postponement that could eventually turn into a cancellation. At least they're not doing it miserably under a hot sun today.

I'm not sure if I am on the right track, but will keep thinking and clue-watching.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobbie, the author is not French. Maybe the "Mad Dogs" clue was too obscure for the nationality of the author. He is an Englishman-mad dogs and Englishmen...

Perhaps if the boat were named Escape Strategy rather than Exit Strategy...

Maybe it would be a better thing to run my clues past Charles to see if they make any sense before I post them. *sigh*

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

So #1 and #2 were written by Englishmen....this has caused something to buzz in the back of my brain. Duality is the clue that is popping into my brain.

Just put a pork roast into the crock pot, to make pulled pork for dinner. House-mates are out to pick up beer and fresh corn on the cob - yummmmmm!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I am on my way for dinner, Nancy! That sounds delicious! Perfect summer fare. I don't suppose I would get there in time and poor Charles would be left to fend for himself. Oh the sacrifices I make!

Ah, yes, duality, similarity. Chicken salad here, but maybe we will run out for corn, too. 'Tis a far far better meal whenever corn on the cob is included.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Okay, think I know this one now. I totally missed the mad dogs clue, Lol.
    The clue I'm picking up on is about your football preferences. We have two baseball teams to root for in this house and have lived in both places, St. Louis Cardinals and Minnesota Twins.

I should be out weeding but temps are hovering in the 50s and it has been spitting rain, too cold and damp for me. Pulled my heavy blanket out of the cupboard and am spending the day reading. Think I need a hot chocolate to warm me up.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun.

I have these fragments in my brain that get triggered sometimes, but I don't always know what they connect to. Does that happen to you?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Obviously it happens to me all the time since I am the only one who gets my clues-except that I think I am connecting to something, but apparently it is a very loose connection. LOL. Perhaps I am just losing my head.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ha,ha, got that one!

It smells like fall with fireplaces being used to take the chill out of the houses in our neighborhood.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joy joy. Rain! We are in the midst of a huge downpour with winds cooling the house and the little dickens (son's dog) wants to go out and play.

Cynthia

(now that worked, didn't it?)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I LOVE the smell of woodsmoke in the air - too bad I am allergic!! lol. That is my duality.

Laura, I wonder if you vacationed at Ste. Anne de Beaupre?? Near lac de Deux Montagnes, where the St. Lawrence and the Ottawa Rivers meet. A beautiful area, near to Montreal. Interestingly, Kathy Reichs placed one of her novels near to this!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK Cyn, now am sure that I've got it!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I pretty much have to be hit over the head with the answer before I recognize it. I may have finally recognized the correct tale, and might as well confess that I haven't read it. I wonder if I have read any of the top sellers of all time.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Got busy, but I'm back.
    Cyn,
    you have too much faith in me. I was thinking "Gone with the wind"
    TM's clue was making me think I was right. LOL. Wrong one!

I think I have it now. This is a bit of a cheat, Academic standards and all.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Nancy,
    I haven't been back in almost 25yrs, But I remember "riveir de lupe". (sp) Something about 3 rivers. The view was amazing. We would walk miles down the mountain, on a dirt road to the nearest town for candy. Areo bars and cherry blossoms. Across the street from the candy store was the local pier.

The house in Quebec was "ocean" front. My Brother owns that now. 300 acres of crazy awesome views on a stretch of highway leading to Ramouski? (sp) The last time I was there, the house was looking very shabby. to say the least. The scenery, was still so beautiful .
    Now I want to go back!

This post was edited by auntyara on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 9:01

• thinman
    10 years ago

Would this be a great book or a twisted one?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let's review some clues or perhaps I should tell you all a bedtime Tale of unrequited love and sacrifice. A tale with opening lines that may be the most famous of any novel ever written. A short tale, but one sure to affect the romantically-inclined high school girl. A tale of revolution and a lawyer and espionage and turmoil and a well-thought-out escape strategy. Deception and switched identities. Not one of Washington DC and Philadelphia, though.

Other clues: "far, far better thing I do than I have ever done...far far better rest I go to than I have ever known..." And of course, the line that brings so many young girls to tears: âÂÂThink now and then that there is a man who would give his life, to keep a life you love beside you.âÂÂ

You have the author and now the title perhaps.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

My original thought was also Gone With the Wind but your clues of two cities football teams and English author led me to this tale. I have not read the book but have seen it done as a play and as a movie. I have started it a few times but..it WASN'T the best of times, it was the worst of times and I did not finish.

Still not seeing the clue for the sail boats, unless it was the worst of times for wind.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens.

Was the photo clue "EXIT STRATEGY."?

• thinman
    10 years ago

A Tale of Two Cities is what I was guessing when I did my 18:56 post.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

lol I'm out of my league here.
    I thought it was the Scarlet letter. TM's picture, threw me off with the man wearing red pants and everyone else was wearing shorts.
    Obviously I'm not much of a reader. lol.
    I do know that the Scarlet Letter is standard reading for the 10th? grade, so that would push the number of sales up.
    Thank goodness a new game starts soon, and I might be able to redeem myself.
    :)Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Bobbie, Exit Strategy got me thinking escape strategy which is the crux of the book. :)

So, four stars for TM, Bobbie, and Nancy. Three stars for Laura who realized it had to be a book sold as part of most HS English requirements. Laura, you are allowed to jump on the bandwagon with others-trivia is often a group effort! :)

So, A Tale of Two Cities is indeed the best-selling novel of all time with over 200 million copies sold. It is possible, according to one source, that Don Quixote has sold more simply because it is so much older, but it is not possible to verify those early sales. One site guessed that maybe 500 million of that novel have been sold. The link below will connect you to the list I used. I think it is interesting that Agatha Christie came in so high at #6 and I was surprised that Le Petit Prince came in third. Not at all surprised by Professor Tolkien's showing! ;)

Have a marvelous day all. As soon as I finish here, I will move to TM's question and then out to the garden, such as it is.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: List

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Here is a pic for you. Riviere-du-loup is much farther out than I was aiming at!! On the Bas-St-Laurent. It is named for the nearby Wolf river, as Cyn would have divined from the name!! According to Wikipedia, it is renowned for it's sunsets!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Interesting that Tolkien had #2 and #4! Also interesting that Who moved my Cheese is higher than the Wind in the Willows and even 1984!! Very interesting (imagine a German accent and ol' Artie in a German uniform!!)

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Cyn, thanks for the stars and the fun!
    Nancy, thanks for posting the picture. It's beautiful,

• thinman
    10 years ago

That was an interesting and surprising list. I've read only two - The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, which I read to my kids, and The DaVinci Code.

As always, once I know the answer, your clues make good sense, Cynthia. Good fun. Thank you.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and question , Cynthia. I had fun puzzling out the photo clue. Not sure I would have figured out mad dogs as I was focusing on names. My narrow focus, not your great clue.

I have read ten of the first twenty books on the list.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I only read two, "The little prince" when I was a kid in Canada,and "Think and grow rich", in my 20's. I started reading the hobbit as a kid, but it didn't hold my attention. Not much did.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living