Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning cottagers!

I am being lazy this morning. We have company this wekend and the less said about that the better. So I decided to come visit with people I DO like! ;)

Here is today's question: Can you tell me what the following words have in common? Escalator, rolodex, trampoline, rollerblade, and spandex.

I will be back later, but can't guarantee how quickly. I do have more words that go with these, but we'll start here. Hope everyone is well and content this weekend. I will trade any of your activities with mine today! Mark my words, no visitors for the rest of the year!!!! Unless of course, any of you happen by-welcome mat always out for you!

Comments (15)

• thinman
    12 years ago

Sorry about your annoying company, Cynthia. At least you don't have to go to work on Monday, having totally wasted your two days off.

I'm not seeing anything yet in the five words, but I'll keep turning them over in my mind - what's left of it - and maybe something will click.

ThinMan

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Morning all, I believe I've done this one before so pretty sure I know what the answer is. Sorry about your weekend Cyn, been there, done that, hope your weekend goes smoothly.

T.M. Cyn gave a good clue :).

Annette

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I think they all have wave theory in common. Please don't ask me what wave theory is. I couldn't explain it to save my life, but I have a concept and an image in my mind! :-)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette, you are so smart! I hoped the clue would work. Anyway, here are a few more that fit: yo-yo, popsicle, corn flakes. Does that change your idea, Lorna?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

LOL Cyn, done this one before, I didn't know the answer then but stored the answer in the old memory bank for future reference.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

Not getting anywhere so far. Just so I don't fry any brain circuits thinking too hard in the wrong direction, can you hint me this? Are we looking for something that the words have in common, or something that the objects themselves have in common?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, hmmm, something in common that the words share, but it is also connected to the objects themselves or was at one time. What if I add band-aid, thermos, and xerox, TM? Try re-reading my first post and see if anything clicks for you.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Oh. I just got it. And now I see your hint too. Now I can stop trying to analyze letter sequences.

Q-tip would probably be another one, right?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

YEP! Also,sheetrock, formica, breathalyzer, aspirin, and cellophane.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

AH-huh!! Got it!! Went to work early, so missed this this am!! Good one!! What about kleenex??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That, too! You are all way too clever. Lorna???

Hope work was easy, Nancy. We went to the Newseum today. Amazingly I had never been there and it is a wonderful place for news junkies. Taking Elizabeth to the airport at 6:30 tomorrow. ;)

Cynthia

• dawiff
    12 years ago

Is it that they are all trademarked terms that people often use to refer generically to the product, no matter who made it?

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

Hah! I was still sticking with my undulation/wave action for awhile. Eventually I had to give it up, got stumped!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

***** Five stars for Annette, TM, Nancy, and Dawiff!

Lorna, you still had time this morning!!! :)

Yes, all are product names that were once trademarked, but came to be used generically (and in the dictionary) to refer to the general product. I was so surprised by some-cellophane,dry ice, dumpster,granola,zipper, styrofoam to name a few. Kleenex is another as Nancy mentioned, but never at my house growing up. My dad worked for Scott Paper and we always had to call them Scotties! Broke Dad's heart when the company went down. Of course, he was retired then, but he and my uncle had been there since the 40s and both loved the company. They threw the most wonderful company Christmas parties in the 50s-held in the plant in Chester PA with all kinds of cool stuff going on for kids and fabulous gifts (I got my first two-wheeler one year-it was beautiful still remember it vividly). It was so cool to see the giant rolls of paper and all the machinery. Good memories.

Thanks for playing. Off to see what Nancy has for us today! Have a wonderful Sunday all.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Great question, Cynthia. Thanks for the fun.