Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, I spent the day yesterday, not at work, but doing a few things standing up, and later surfing You Tube for music videos. Fun, and - my back does feel better!! I mentioned Rush yesterday - a great prog-rock band. Love them, interesting guys, still with the same band since they were 16-ish!! Also with the same wives, save drummer Peart, whose 1st wife and young daughter died in very tragic, and separate circumstances. It got me thinking about some of my other musical heroes. I loved and still love the Moody Blues.

{{gwi:607583}}

Cold hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colours from our sight

Red is gray and yellow, white

But we decide which is right

And which is an illusion

Pinprick holes in a colourless sky

Let insipid figures of light pass by

The mighty light of ten thousand suns

Challenges infinity and is soon gone

Night time, to some a brief interlude

To others the fear of solitude

Brave Helios, wake up your steeds

Bring the warmth the countryside needs

That is the reading that opens Side One. Formed in 1964 in Birmingham, England, they progressed through the blues as cover artists to be one of the 1st prog-rock bands, though in those days, it was called art rock, or, my preference, symphonic rock. They went through extensive member changes, morphing into the sound many of us recognize today. These core members shared the same ethics of musicianship, and remained married to their 1st wives/girlfriends. Hmmmmm. They wrote songs as tributes to those partners and their children. Not sex violence and drugs. Well, maybe a few drugs back in the day!! Their 1st album, recognizable as their unique style was "Days of Future Passed". The liner notes say, "Here, where emotion and creativity blend - where poetry, the beat group and the symphony orchestra feed on each other's inspiration - the Moodys have chosen to paint their picture of everyman's day, which takes nothing from the nostalgia for the past and adds nothing to the probabilities of the future." Whew, weren't we ambitious. It was one of the 1st concept or song cycle albums. Actually, even more ambitious than that it mirrored a much earlier, non-musical work. So, what is that work?? I'll be back with clues, if you need them!!

Nancy.

Comments (19)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Nancy, the Moody Blues were and still are one of my favorite groups but I'm in the dark as far as what you're looking for, maybe it's because my brain isn't in gear yet. I'll be back looking for clues.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Another fan. I still have the album somewhere. Remembrances of things past.

Glad your back is feeling better. Absolutely no fun to have back pain. I am thinking of trying yoga, but will probably have to opt for the free shows on cable rather than a class I have to pay for since salary is again frozen for the coming sachool year. Getting tired of that happening every year.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I pulled my vinyl out yesterday - a Herculean effort, I might add. Does anyone know how to get a funky smell out of paper products?? Seems storage has made them smelly.....that might be a big job too.
    I used to do yoga, to a tape - I should start again. The Classics never get old!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I need clues. Try putting it in sunshine to kill the mildew. May fade the colors.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AAhh, sunshine - but yes the colours might fade. Hmmmm. I've got a few of them out on the table in the LR, my MB's albums, cause I wanted to look and see which ones I had - I have the above, as well as a couple of others. I just hate that they've acquired this smell - not really like mildew, not sure what it is, and thank God my linens didn't get this in storage, then again, they were sealed in plastic!!

Thanks Bobbie, I was waiting for you to chime in before I put more clues out.

May I say that it was a novel idea about a Greek odyssey?? That actually works, in a not too oblique manner!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...were there two clues in your post Nancy? I was still thinking in French, but guess we need to go further back.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess there have been a few clues, in earlier posts - two in the 2nd last sentence of my last post. Kinda of makes me think of Lennon/McCartney - A Day in the Life - final track on Sgt. Pepper's. Did anyone watch the opening ceremonies for the Olympics? I didn't, but read about them in the paper. Sir Paul apparently did his little 'And in the end, the love you make, is equal to the love you take.' Always loved that bit, though when I was a kid the olduns thought it was a reference to sex, not you get what you give! Nice to see it out there, though they did comment that he didn't add, 'Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl, but she doesn't have a lot to say.' lol. Greeks/Olympics - unintentional crossover, but no clues in the last bit!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

I'm totally at sea on this question and haven't spotted any familiar landmarks yet. I fear that my voyage will come to naught.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AAahhhh, but the voyage is the thing, TM. It's a Greek voyage, but with a latin name!! Hmmm...how to connect dots for TM, et al. I did cross paths with the author in Dublin...well, not really, but figuratively!!

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
    Watch lights fade from every room
    Bedsitter people look back and lament
    Another day's useless energy spent

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one
    Lonely man cries for love and has none
    New mother picks up and suckles her son
    Senior citizens wish they were young

Cold hearted orb that rules the night
    Removes the colours from our sight
    Red is grey and yellow, white
    But we decide which is right
    And which is an illusion

And so the album comes to a close, as does the day of our question. Hard to imagine, but Justin Hayward was only 19-years-old when he wrote Nights in White Satin. Annette - I attached a superb concert below. It's a little weird, as the music does get a bit out of sync...They're backed by the World Festival Orchestra. Only 1st half is good - 2nd half is a repeat of the 1st without music(?). Seeing these guys live, preferably with an Orchestra is definitely on my bucket list!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moodies Live at the Royal Albert Hall

• thinman
    11 years ago

Greek voyage, Latin name. Oh boy, stick a fork in me, I'm done.
    TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Irish author?

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

OK, maybe I have a shot.
    JJ?

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

JJ wrote a thick book, "U..." which is a parody of Homer's "Odyssey.

I recently saw this concert on our local PBS channel as part of their pledge drive. Some songs I knew and others were not familiar. I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for the link.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I was thinking Proust at first, but then your clues gave it away as Homer which also leads to Joyce. I will go with the majority, but no stars for me b/c I stopped at Homer.

Good question. Great album. Thanks, Nancy. Hope everyone has a marvelous week. I am afraid I need to return to reality. *sigh*

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I didn't get back to look for clues but even if I did I wouldn't have got it :(. Well you can't win them all, great question Nancy and thanks for the link, really enjoyed it, see you all next weekend.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

So the answer must be Ulysses. I actually thought of this as I wrote JJ. A miracle, for sure.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol - see, I just needed the right clues!! I never knew this about that album before, or, as I had read the liner notes back in the mists of time, had forgotten!! Glad you enjoyed the music!! Not bad for some old dudes in their mid-sixties to early seventies. To see them live with an orchestra is on my bucket list, but I guess I'd better hurry!!

Yes, James Joyce's Ulysses it is!! It was first serialised in parts in the American journal The Little Review from March 1918 to December 1920, and then published in its entirety by Sylvia Beach in February 1922, in Paris. One of the most important works of Modernist literature, it has been called "a demonstration and summation of the entire movement". "Before Joyce, no writer of fiction had so foregrounded the process of thinking." Ulysses chronicles the passage of Leopold Bloom through Dublin during an ordinary day, 16 June 1904 (the day of Joyce's first date with his future wife, Nora Barnacle). The title alludes to Odysseus (Latinised into Ulysses), the hero of Homer's Odyssey, and establishes a series of parallels between characters and events in Homer's poem and Joyce's novel (e.g., the correspondence of Leopold Bloom to Odysseus, Molly Bloom to Penelope, and Stephen Dedalus to Telemachus). Joyce fans worldwide now celebrate 16 June as Bloomsday. Cyn, you'll love this: it uses 'stream of consioucness' narrative. It was initially banned in the UK as obscenity. It was also banned in the US for a brief time by the New York Society for the Suppression of Vice. Although Ulysses was never banned in Ireland, neither was it available there. So, there you go: from the airport code for Toronto to the Moody Blues to James Joyce: stream of conciousness indeed.
    So, for Bobbie and TM

- you just have to follow the stream, sometimes!!

Thanks for playing - see you next week!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

It was a good question, Nancy, and I would never have got the answer without the good hints. Thanks for the weekend fun.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I also would not have gotten it without clues, especially TM's JJ. Thanks for the good music and info, Nancy, and to all for clues.

Sponsored