Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers! Or should I say, Hot Sunday Morning! It has, and continues to be HOT!!!!! We are not accustomed to sustained heat like this, so it is difficult. To boot, we have brush fires in the area - they have been difficult to stop, because everything is tinder dry! We are in a Stage 2 drought. Having never heard this term before, I had to look this up: "Drought crosses the boundary from Level 1 to Level 2 if one-month precipitation falls to between 60 and 40 per cent of normal or when the three month or 18 month total precipitation is between 60 and 40 per cent of the average level. Level 2 drought, says Ontario's plan, "indicates a potentially serious problem."

Level 3 drought - the most severe - occurs when 18-month, three-month or one-month precipitation levels are less than 40 per cent of average, and a region is already in confirmed Level 2 conditions. In Level 3 drought, mandatory water restrictions can be imposed." I'll be off to water my allotment later this am.

Well, TM's question reminded me of one I had come up with a while ago, and forgotten about. Might as well stay with a theme, shall we??

Well, Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones. Almost as dry as the grass around here. 206 is the number of them in the adult body, though we are born with many more - no, they don't go away, they fuse into larger bones as we grow up. That is why infants are soooo flexible. So, here's the question - what is unique about the hyoid bone?? Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this?? I do have clues, if you need them.

Nancy.

Comments (15)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Clues, Clues, Clues, yes please :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, let's see: on CSI or NCIS, this bone is often noted when the cause of death is strangulation!! It is also called the lingual bone. Its name is derived from the Greek word hyoeides meaning "shaped like the letter upsilon" (ÃÂ). Hmmm...does that help or further tease??

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

I know that in manual strangulation, the hyoid bone is often fractured, so it must be fairly fragile, or fra-GEE-lay as the dad in A Christmas Story says it. Is that part of the clue? (I don't watch the CSI shows, but I have read lots and lots of crime novels.)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just finished watching a great series from American TV - I know, I usually like British! I remembered watching much of the 1st season a couple of years ago, then the Canadian network didn't pick up the 2nd season, and then it was cancelled. Too bad, as it was well acted. The two primary actors are currently in TV shows again - the male lead is the Marine hero(?) in HBO's Homeland (I've ordered the 1st season on DVD cause no one carries it in Canada and I can't pirate it anywhere) and the female lead is now the lead on Fairly Legal. Can't say that's one of my favourite shows, but she is a great actor. Anyway, 1st series was called "Life", about a cop convicted of a triple homicide and falsely imprisoned for 12 years. He gets out, having survived in the prison system, having most of the bones in his body broken but surviving with the teachings of Zen. When he is acquitted he gets $50 million as a settlement and his job as a detective back. He drives her, his partner crazy, always eating the fruit, the one thing he missed most in prison, and talking about the Zen tenet that all things are connected. I am hooked on Netflix!! TV is the summer is soooo boring!

While the hyoid's fragility is unique (I used to say fra-GEE-lay when I was a kid - came of too much reading and not enough talking!!), it not the most unique thing about it as a bone.

And now I have that darned song stuck in my head - earworm!!!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the upsilon is of course, U!! I should have cleared that up sooner. I just absorbed a tumbler of iced tea - must go find more.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I watch and read many crime series so know about the crushed hyoid bone indicating strangulation.

We toured five gardens today as part of our annual city festival. Fun to see others lovely gardens but such a hot, hot day....high 90s again and over 100 expected tomorrow. The connection to high temps and garden tours seems to be evident. Ha, ha, couldn't be because they are held in the hottest time of our summer! We are in no position to complain as at least we've had good rainfall so needing rain again but not on a drought yet.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, garden tours sound so nice!! Maybe a glass of lemonade or iced tea. I ran out, so since the sun is over the yardarm, I've moved on to wine spritzers. I wish my ice would freeze faster!! lol. I went over to my allotment, while the sun wasn't out and did a lot of watering. I watered a couple of other people's gardens too, because the plants were crying out!! At least, I heard them - that's my story, and I'm sticking to it - and hoping for payback in kind. Everything is connected!! Here's what I found at my garden:
    {{gwi:607602}}

Those are my 1st 2 tomatoes - brandywines. The cherry are purloined from one of the other gardens, she told me if I watered I could take some! Annette, that's your Croatian lettuce - I haven't been able to get a subsequent crop to germinate in the heat and the dry!! Also jalapeno peppers - I'm going to have a bumper crop!! Yum.

Nancy.

11 years ago

Nancy those all look so yummy I have a Cherokee Purple tomato just about ripe in the greenhouse, jalapenos and basil are ready for picking, these are growing in the greenhouse also, wouldn't have a chance in the garden this year what with the weather we've been having.
    Still in the dark as to an answer but here's something for those that are feeling the heat, one of the ponds on yesterday's pond tour. Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:607607}}
    Wish Bones!

The hyoid bone is derived from the lower half of the second gill arch in fish, which separates the first gill slit from the spiracle, and is often referred to as the hyoid arch. In many animals, it also incorporates elements of other gill arches, and has a correspondingly greater number of cornua. Amphibians and reptiles may have many cornua, while mammals (including humans) have two pairs, and birds only one. In birds, and some reptiles, the body of the hyoid is greatly extended forward, creating a solid bony support for the tongue. The howler monkey Alouatta has a pneumatized hyoid bone, one of the few cases of postcranial pneumatization of bones outside Saurischia( yeah I wondered too - lizards and/or dinasaurs).

Toe bone connected to the foot bone
    Foot bone connected to the leg bone
    Leg bone connected to the knee bone...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry bones

11 years ago

We saw lots of really lovely ponds, gardens too just couldn't get great pictures because of the number of people.

11 years ago

Nancy I'm getting the feeling the word connected has a connection in all this, by any chance is this bone not connected to anything it's just floating around in there?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ohh, Annette, those look so deliciously cool!!! I am dreaming myself there!! Floating would be such a lovely, unconnected sensation!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Ooh, Annette, it looks like you may have figured it out. Good for you. I have been clueless, in spite of the clues, on this one.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea Annette - you got it, and I think Bobbie did too. Sorry TM, I guess I needed more clues for you.

Unlike other bones, the hyoid is only distantly articulated to other bones by muscles or ligaments. The hyoid is anchored by muscles from the anterior, posterior and inferior directions, and aids in tongue movement and swallowing. The hyoid bone provides attachment to the muscles of the floor of the mouth and the tongue above, the larynx below, and the epiglottis and pharynx behind.

This question I got from an episode of NCIS, where Ducky (David McCallum) and his assistant are singing the song, while doing an autopsy, and he tell Jethro about the hyoid bone. lol, and they say TV doesn't teach you anything!!

So, for Annette and Bobbie:

Thanks for playing, and stay cool, my friends!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

I like the answer. Simple and unexpected, especially to me, I guess. Good fun.

It's supposed to cool off a little bit by Wednesday, and I hope it does. An old friend of mine wants to come over and work with me in the gardens, and I don't want us to get heat stroke or something.

Thanks for the trivia, Nancy.

TM

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994