Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good morning, dear cottagers. Rain is predicted again for us, so no house painting for me today. I can't say that I'm disappointed, but I would like to get the job done while I'm still young.

I've always been fond of pictures that show greatly magnified common objects - photomicrographs - and have wondered why they aren't called microphotographs. I suppose the second word would mean very tiny photographs that you would have to view through a microscope - kind of like the microdots of spycraft.

Here's one for you to identify:

{{gwi:607696}}

It's part of a smallish creature that we all have seen many times, some of us more than others. I think we would all agree that the creature doesn't creep us out.

I'll have more hints later.

TM

Comments (34)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hey TM - happy Sunday Morning!! Raining here as well, which is great, as I put the second lettuce crop in yesterday - I don't need to water!!

I would guess that this is something I take great delight in seeing in my garden. Might this be an 'opposite' view to the sailboats you posted yesterday?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Several possibilities come to mind. I will be back to look for hints in order to narrow it down.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    "Rain, our crops, they're saved!" lol
    I think that was a blow dryer commercial from the 80's.
    Yep raining here too :) I really need to set up an irrigation system.
    TM, I thought I had it, but now Nancy is confusing me. (not hard to do)
    :) Laura

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Hmm,
    Does the actor K. C., have any ties to this creature?

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, I'm not getting a sense of oppositeness between the two photos. Not saying there couldn't be one, but I haven't picked up on it.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

My thought was that this was a tail end view, as opposed to the bows of the sailboats we saw yesterday....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Glad you explained that, Nancy. I was confused, too!

I am thinking the opposite of a tail end view. If it is a tail end view, then I am surprised.

I love these kinds of photos. Now, I really am out to the yard to plop myself down in the dirt.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Nancy, lol yup ok, Now I understand your clue.
    thanks!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Laura, I just got your KC reference, and I think that is correct.....think. Wow, another boat reference!!

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Nancy, lol you're right, I did, and I wasn't even trying. I was thinking of a different movie.
    I hope we're on the right track here,

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, not a tail end view. That probably knocks out the KC connection too, right?

There is an actor A.K. who has a 2004 movie with a connection to our creature.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I love these photos also and am not good at identifying them. I.m thinking antenna but no idea of what.

Sunny but still cool out today so will work in the gardens. Have friends coming for a garden tour tomorrow and much to do to make them presentable.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This part of the creature is very observable with the naked eye. The clothed eye, not so much. :)

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Rats, lol
    Dragon fly is off the table.
    I was so proud of myself today. I finally finished pruning and tying up my tomatoes.
    http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/auntyara/1374967464.jpg.
    I only saw one small tomato horn worm. I killed it of course.
    Looking at the pic. I think I over did it.
    I haven't had a descent tomato crop in yrs.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:607695}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I was thinking antenna also.

TM, clothed eye has me stumped-sunglasses?

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cynthia - Clothed eye was just a silly joke - like maybe a blindfolded eye or something. Sorry for the distraction.

Here is another part of the animal.

{{gwi:607697}}

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I have decided that I will do no more hot, dirty work today. It is good to be queen and able to make such pronouncements. ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Careful Cyn, you might end up on the endangered species list!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Just thought I'd share this little gem - it's been on and off HGTV and Vision. Not sure what channel I've seen it on recently, but it's definitely worth a look-see!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Secret World of Gardens

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I am thinking of John Belushi in one of the funniest costumes/skits of all time. Just silly.

Time to get busy busy now-laundry and trim to paint!

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I think I'm on the same page now...I am a tad bit slow.
    Nancy got me thinking,
    I've been wondering about how during evolution, it seems to me that the weaker of all species just naturally dies off, and a new and improved species takes over.
    Not lacking love for little creatures of course, just how else could it be possible? In the movie "Jurassic park" it showed how nature can over come ridiculous odds. If dandelions can "out smart" round up? (or so they say) How could anything be defeated unless their time has come, World wide.
    People have been poisoning cockroaches for 100's of years. Rats, fleas, termites,etc.
    Sorry too much FB /PF (propaganda with friends), today lol

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After seeing a lot of the day fly by with partly sunny skies, I decided I would do some painting after all. So of course it rained. From my vantage point two stories up on a ladder (no place to be a butterfingers, by the way) I saw gray clouds bearing down on me and started putting stuff away. I made it with minutes to spare. I did get some painting done, and it didn't get washed off the wall, thank goodness. I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm not sure that anyone has the answer exactly right yet. I seem to remember John Belushi in a bee costume once,. Is that what you are thinking, Cynthia?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, so wrong twice - drat!! These things seem to flutter through my mind!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, darn. Yes, that is what I was thinking, TM. He was so silly in that costume.

So, not exactly right for any of us yet. Hmmm...were there clues in your last post?

If I plant the asclepias I bought, might I be rewarded with sightings of these? Could my queen reference also apply here?

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Asclepias - yes
    Queen - Hmmm. I dunno.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I am thinking the same as Cynthia's last two postings. I have both asclepia and milkweed for these beauties. Also many other plants they like. They have been scarce this summer. Saw three or for a few days ago. Didn't see any today, maybe because I had my head close to the ground weeding out oxalis. That stuff is everywhere. Have one more area to do and then should only need to catch the odd ones popping up here and there. Also deadheaded and set up the sprinkler for an early morning watering.

Don't know the second part. Seems to me the legs have some of that type of segmentation but not that much.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Oh, I don't know the queen to which C is referring.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

A queen is a monarch....

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ha,ha, of course.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A queen is a monarch....

That finally came to me last night in bed as I was waiting for my brain to shut down so I could go to sleep.

The two pics are a butterfly antenna and a butterfly wing. Here's a pretty one.

{{gwi:607698}}

for Cynthia, Bobbie, Nancy, and how about you Laura? Were you thinking butterfly?

Thanks for playing trivia with me. Hope you all have a good week.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun, TM. I am nothing without clues!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful butterfly. Thanks for the fun, TM.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and good clues TM. I love butterflies. Made the mistake of thinking the one or two wild violets in my yard several years ago were pretty and left them. Now, I am overrun. Thought about pulling them out until I read that the fritillary butterfly lays its eggs on the violets. Sigh. How could I possibly take that away? The sulphur butterfly lays its eggs on white clover leaves. My yard is an oasis for them! ;)

• auntyara
    10 years ago

DOH!
    lol I was thinking butterfly in the beginning and thought you were trying to trick us. My final answer before going to bed was bees. I forget you all are in a different time zone.
    I tend to over think all these trivia question :)
    I have wild milkweed in the field next to my house and lots of butterfly bushes. The yellow monarch ones are territorial here. They chase the other colors away from the bushes.
    On a side note...we got a new lawn mower. It's evil, I can't stop using it lol.