Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers!! Well, it is a much cooler am here today. I hope that this stays!! I am tired of the excessive heat, and my lack of energy.

Well, it's taken 3 years, but scientists have finally convinced their peers of the truth of their findings - the earth is actually about a billion years older than originally thought!! A meteor impact was discovered on the west coast of Greenland, opposite Baffin Island. It has been discovered to be the earliest known impact crater on Earth. The site has undergone so many geological changes over the past three billion years that there is no obvious bowl-shaped crater.

Exciting stuff for scientists, but there's another community that pretty excited about this site, and it's potential. And that's my question today: who are these people, and why are they excited?

Nancy.

Comments (20)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Haven't the foggiest, if I knew I've forgotten it. Maybe clues will help but I doubt it.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Well, since I am not actually leaving until Tuesday, ignore my saying adieu on the Saturday trivia thread. :)

I also have no idea. I am guessing it isn't the Bible literalists who think the world is only several thousands years old. ;)

Will wait for clues.

Oh and TM, thought of you this week with the news of the Higgs Boson particle. very exciting stuff and way beyond my understanding!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, Annette - the people I am talking about are headquartered in Vancouver!! While that may not help the others, it may help you!!

Cyn, have I mentioned how envious I am?? Can I come with you, can I, huh?? If an impact of this size hit the Earth today, it would not only be able to pulverize a medium-size national state, but its global effects would also kill all higher life, said the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland. But that's not what makes it interesting to this company.....think of other consequence of the impact!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

My hunch is that maybe it has something to do with mining. Maybe there is some kind of mineral there that is a lot closer to the surface.

A mineral that comes to mind is cryolite, which is used in the Hall process for the production of aluminum. I know it comes from Greenland, though I think it is found elsewhere too. I used to enjoy telling my chemistry classes the story of Charles Hall and how cryolite made him a wealthy man.

I may be way off, but it's all that occurs to me now.

TM

P.S. Do Canadians use the word aluminium like the Brits do?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Mining potential? outer space metals?

Yes, come on with us. Ladies only vacation! You can be here with time to spare! How much fun would that be? You, me, Annette, Bobbie, and Jean (my friend from PA).

If you want to join us, TM, we will make an exception to the "ladies only" rule! ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tm, it isn't about Cryolite, but it is about mining!! Now Cryolite and Greenland brings to mind some interesting facts from WWII and an RCMP vessel called the St. Roch!! She was purpose-built for the RCMP and the Northwest Passage. Cryolite and the American mine figure very heavily in her 1940 attempt to transverse the Passage from West to East (she became the 1st vessel to do so, the second in history to do it from either direction). Since aluminum(not aluminium in my part of Canada, anyway!) was crucial for aircraft manufacture, the Commonwealth was very concerned about this mine, and the fact that the US was 'undeclared'. The worry, of course, was that the cryolite might be sold to the Germans. Denmark of course, had already fallen to the Nazis. This is a quote from released secret documents, "In wartime especially, events rarely happen as planned, and the Canadian strategy to occupy Greenland was no exception. The initial rationale for "Force X" was the mistaken belief that a small Canadian occupation force(of Greenland) would be more acceptable
    to the neutral United States than British intervention, which would have clearly violated the principles of the Monroe Doctrine (Skelton, 1940b). This opinion could not have been further from the truth.
    At a meeting between Prime Minister King and President Roosevelt the United States wished no occupying force on Greenland, but admitted that if there were a German attack, then it would be necessary for Allied Naval Forces to take action." Very long, interesting story. Would have made a great trivia question, except that I never figured how to turn it for my American friends!!

So, have I completely confused you with this sidebar?? Annette, the St. Roch lives today in Vancouver - have you ever gone to see it??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh. I am feeling somewhat clever since TM and I were posting at the same time and my answer agreed with his! Well, at least the mining bit. Never heard of Cryolite. I am doubtful that I will get much more without clues.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I am way ot here, but had to go find and then share this song - The Northwest Passage, by Stan Rogers. For those who've never heard our dearly departed Stan, this will be a big a treat as for those who've heard it before.

Oh yeah, and more clues: Not to be too obvious, but would anyone bet me they could find the answer?? Eh, TM??

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Northwest Passage

11 years ago

LOL Nancy I THINK I've finally got it.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I love that song. Chuck has it on a Stan Rogers album and heard me playing it. He actually came in from his office to listen to it!

However, if there is a clue other than gold mining, I don't know it. Boy am I feeling stupid! No matter. I will just listen to the song again. He is wonderful and that is just one of those iconic songs. Thanks for the link.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But would you take the bet, Cyn??

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I tried to imbed the map, but it won't take. I think this will work. 'A' is where the crater is located, or at least the closest community to it. 'B' is the location of the cryolite mine!! Cyn, you know know the answer. Think of last weeks clue from TM!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Map of the coast of Greenland

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Mining was my thought as well. Think small bet, Cynthia, and cheap jewelry.

A Ladies only vacation sounds fun but not for me this year. I am walking though not long distances and stairs are still a bit awkward. Two months in I am doing well but still at least a month away from " no pain" and most of the swelling gone. A year is a long, long time.

Will look forward to hearing about the fun you had and the yummy treats.

Our PBS channel started showing Midsomer Murders last Friday evening.
    Don't know what season it is but was episode 148. The theme music is haunting and takes me back to our trivia question.

I am trying to like the new Sherlock character... finding him a bit off putting. Like all the other characters. Have the third new episode taped and am in no hurry to watch it.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Nancy, the map only shows one marker for me-- a green dot near the bottom on the left side of Greenland.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grrrr- Bobbie - technology is not my friend today!! Photobucket and I are not agreeing to upload some pics...and not apparently, google.maps will not show what I have mapped. Anyway, the second dot should be just up the coast, about an inch away!! lol. Interesting what happens when layers get re-arranged!!
    I think that you have the Neil Dudgeon (new) series, and not the original John Nettles series - no matter - they are both great. Sherlock will grow on you, and it's much better than the Robert Downey Jr. movies!! Actually, I need to watch Sherlock tonight, to catch up on the 1st season.

OK, now don't get crusty with me but:

Earth's mantle is a rocky shell about 2,900 km (1,800 mi) thick that constitutes about 84% of Earth's volume. It is predominantly solid and encloses the iron-rich hot core, which occupies about 15% of Earth's volume. Past episodes of melting and volcanism at the shallower levels of the mantle have produced a thin crust of crystallized melt products near the surface, upon which we live. Information about structure and composition of the mantle either result from geophysical investigation or from direct geoscientific analyses on Earth mantle derived xenoliths. Whew, multi-syllablic words, indeed. Is everything coming into place, Cyn? Methinks Bobbie has guessed it!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Would we be talking about the same material that is mined in Sudbury ON?

Can you fill in the blank in this silly sentence?

If your mom doesn't get you a puppy for Christmas, maybe Saint __________.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Didn't get back yesterday-had dinner with neighbors on the schedule. Seems, however, I may be in time to answer.

So, is it nickel? That is all I have, I'm afraid.

I do have some last minute errands. One thing I forgot was an extra battery for the camera, but all our local camera places have closed, so I don't know where to look. *sigh*. I do have an adapter for the iPad, so perhaps the camera battery recharger will plug into that. If not, I will be careful to preserve the one I have.

Will check later for the answer. Hope you aren't posting right now!

Cynthia

11 years ago

Nickel is what I think it is too.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well there, you all made it!! The substance is indeed nickel, and the people who own the exploration rights to that site are pretty excited!! That would be Vancouver-based North American Nickel Inc. - no more INCO Annette, though I did have a Stompin' Tom clue for you if necessary!! The famed Nickel Belt around Sudbury was formed by the same kind of extraterrestrial impact. How it works is this: the impact goes deep into the earth's crust, to the mantle. The valuable metal was likely melted, concentrated and forced to the surface, potentially forming huge and easy-to-extract deposits. Otherwise, the mineral is too deep to be mined. So, there you go, an interesting process with a little help from the 'power that be'!!

So for TM, Annette, Bobbie and Cyn:

Bobbie, so glad you are back with us this week. The pain you are having now will lessen - I called it the healing pain!! My Surgeon said the heat from the incision would last a year, and it did! My marathon days are over, but I can walk pretty much as far a I want, with little pain. I am now taking naproxyn twice a day, but if I can just lose wieght, I think I'll be able to reduce that. The surface of my knee feels weird - I can't really kneel and put weight on it, but by and large, I am pleased with the results. Cyn, you might be able to get a battery at a ridiculous price at the airport....might be worth it though!! Bon voyage, sans risque, ma chere!!

See the rest of you next week!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

well, I don't really deserve stars, but thanks for being so generous.

Bobbie, We would be happy to push you in a wheel chair! Ha-we would certainly get through security faster! ;) Anyway, I am glad you are making progress. Hang in there-I suspect it is much harder on you now when you would love to be out in the garden.

Nancy, thanks for the tip on the battery. That is actually a very good idea. Merci pour les pensées aimables (hope I have that right-I am so rusty).

See you all in a few weeks.

Cynthia