Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good morning, dear cottagers. I hope you all are on the blessedly cooler side of the weather today. We were in the 50s last night - great sleeping weather.

The trivia category today is Celebrities' Real Names. I've made it a matching type question to make it easier for you. Rearrange the names on the right to match those on the left. Let's see how you do.

1. Rodney Dangerfield --------------A) Anna Mae Bullock
2. Cary Grant -------------------------B) Jacob Cohen
3. Harry Houdini ----------------------C) Norma Egstrom
4. Ringo Starr -------------------------D) Eppie Lederer
5. Ann Landers -----------------------E) Archibald Leach
6. Peggy Lee --------------------------F) Virginia McMath
7. Ginger Rogers --------------------G) Richard Starkey
8. Tina Turner -------------------------H) Erich Weiss

A few of these should be easy. At least I knew them, and I don't know much about celebrities.

TM

Comments (20)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good Morning, TM!! Sunny and cool here today - I may get down on my knees and WEED!! Woo-hoo!

I do know some of these; I shall go off to have a coffee and see what I can come up with!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Good morning, TM,

I think I know all the men except one, so I know that by default. I know one of the women for sure and will guess on the others.

Fun. Love matching.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I know a few and the others will be guesses unless there are clues later. Will check back.

It is cool with light clouds after a nice rain shower earlier. Too wet to work outside with more showers expected. More of the same tomorrow, should be excellent for weeding and planting on Tuesday and Wednesday.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Well, I know 2,4, and 8 for sure. I think I know 5. Who wouldn't want to be Virginia McMath?? Hmmmmm,,,,,,

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I know 1 (by default if others are correct and I am pretty positive the are), 2, 3, 4, 5. Think I know 8. 6 and 7...have guesses, but not sure. Does Peggy share her name with another famous one with the same hair color?

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cynthia - yes.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is anyone needing any hints? I'd be happy to come up with some if any of these names is a total stumper.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think I have them all, TM. I will wait until later though to give you my guesses. Why is it that I can remember things like this, but not the important stuff? Pathetic, but it has made this question fun for me! :)

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ok, here are my guesses:

1. Rodney-b (he is my default among the gents since I never heard his real name before)
    2. Cary-e. betting every woman knows tat one!
    3. Harry-h
    4. Ringo-g
    5. Ann-d
    6. Peggy Lee-c
    7. Ginger-f
    8. Tina-a. wish I had her legs and her house in the south of France!

Ginger and Peggy are the ones I really had no idea for and not positive about Tina, but a sounded familiar to me.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, these are my guesses, very near to Cyn's:
    1. B
    2. E
    3. H
    4. G
    5. C
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8. A

#3 I think I remember to be correct; #5 is a guess, and 6&7 I just have no idea!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

My answers are the same as Cynthia's though I am guessing on Peggy Lee and Ginger Rogers. Since Ginny is a diminutive of Virginia I'm thinking Ginger May have come from that.
    B, E, H, G, D, C, F, A

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The answers are:

1. Rodney Dangerfield --------------B) Jacob Cohen
    2. Cary Grant -------------------------E) Archibald Leach
    3. Harry Houdini ----------------------H) Erich Weiss
    4. Ringo Starr -------------------------G) Richard Starkey
    5. Ann Landers -----------------------D) Eppie Lederer
    6. Peggy Lee --------------------------C) Norma Egstrom
    7. Ginger Rogers ---------------------F) Virginia McMath
    8. Tina Turner -------------------------A) Anna Mae Bullock

Cynthia and Bobbie, you nailed them all, and Nancy, 5 out of 8 ain't bad.

for Cynthia and Bobbie.
    for Nancy.

Added bonus info:
    Did you know that
    Boris Karloff was William Pratt?
    Patti Page was Clara Fowler?
    Jimmy Dean was Seth Ward?

Thanks for playing trivia with me this weekend. Hope you all have a good week.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Aw, TM, you should have thrown those in, too. I definitely wouldn't have gotten all of them then. Once you gave me the "yes" on Norma and blonde, that helped! It was the only way I could narrow it down. Never heard Rodney's real name before either, but I knew the other men, so Jacob was the only one left. Family lore says my grandfather made some of Houdini's 'ghost' pictures for him (he dabbled in photography as a young man). Not sure if that is true, but it did lead me to look up Houdini over the years.

That was fun. Patti Page was Clara, huh? That is a name we don't hear often and didn't even back then. Cool.

Have a wonderful week. I hope we all get cooler temps or at least lower humidity and rain here would be nice, too!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Eppie Lederer - I'da changed my name too!! Thanks for the fun. Like I said, some I knew, the rest was a haze.

Thanks for the fun. Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More bonus facts:

Eppie was actually born Esther Pauline Friedman. Eppie was apparently a nickname derived from Esther and Pauline. Lederer, she got from her husband.

Also, when she started the advice column, it had already been going for nine years. It was started by a woman named Ruth Crowley, who was the one who came up with the name Ann Landers.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the interesting trivia, TM. I did not know the three others. I do know the info on Eppie Lauder as she and her twin, Dear Abby, Pauline Esther Phillips, Popo, were born in Sioux City, IA, which is in the area, so to speak. I grew up reading Ann Landers and have read numerous newspaper items about the sisters over the years.

A beautiful week is expected and I will be busy in the gardens every day.
    Hope you all enjoy this last full week of July.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Hey all,
    I tried to play on Sunday but my computer didn't want to. ( it kept freezing up of all things on a hot day)
    I wrote down my answers on paper and I actually got the 1st 5 right! :) Can I get a star for a partial answer, that you just have to trust me on? lol
    :) Laura
    Either way, thanks for the fun!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Eppie Lederer - I'da changed my name too!! Thanks for the fun. Like I said, some I knew, the rest was a haze.

Thanks for the fun. Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heck yes, Laura. You deserve 3 stars.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Woohoo! Thanks TM, for 3 very generous stars.
    I don't know what it is, I just love getting stars. Makes me feel like a winner.lol
    :) Laura

Sponsored