Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia:Sunday

Good morning Cottagers!

I am late and will be gone after about 1:30 until tomorrow, so let's see if we can get you clues before then!

Chuck got a new book on D-Day this past week and we were both so taken by a fact we didn't already know, so here you are. One American general went ashore in the first assault wave. In fact, he was the first off the boat when it landed. When Chuck asked me to guess who it was, he just laughed and said that it makes so much sense once you know! His superiors were reluctant to say the least to let him go, but his men were inspired. He received the Medal of Honor for what he did. He was the only general to land with American troops on June 6th. His aide described him thusly: "The old man was the most disreputable looking general I ever saw. He was dressed in ancient combat clothes and often covered in dust or mud."

Any thoughts? You will love this when you find out if you don't already know!

Cynthia

Comments (12)

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Was it a young Roosevelt?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

A certain Junior is coming to mind, hot or cold???

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

I wonder if it might have been C.P., though I'm not sure he was well-known enough that we would love the answer if we don't already know it.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He was 56, had arthritis, and used a cane. He wrote to General Bradley asking to be allowed to take part in the invasion of Europe. Bradley assigned him to a group of green troops knowing he could steady them under fire and added that "You will probably get killed on this job."

We are off shortly to Pennsylvania. It is not a rough ride-about three hours-but traffic is always a possible issue. We are going out to the Chesapeake Bay and up through Maryland farm country. Coming home tonight we will probably do 95 because I hate going over the Bay Bridge, especially at night.

Welcome, saltidawg! Nice to have you join us. I hope Nancy gets a break and can chime in at some point. Bravo to you and Annette! Perhaps I should say, bully for you, but then that would give it away, wouldn't it?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Nothing is coming to my mind, but that is not unusual!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I followed Annette and went with a Jr. Dad was well known for wanting to be in the action.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Jr. gives me nothing....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, I guess it is not really fair to ask an American-centric question! I won't do that next week. I already have an idea that you might enjoy!

Anyway, four stars for Annette and Bobbie, who sound as though they have it judging by the Jr. references. The man in question is Theodore Roosevelt Jr. I am linking to a great article about him. Five days after the successful invasion at Normandy, Roosevelt died of a heart attack. He was buried in French soul and after the war, his remains were moved to the American Cemetery where he was placed next to his brother Quentin who died there in WWI. In case you don't read on, TRJr's son Quentin also went ashore on D-Day. They were the only American father-son team to land that day (father on Utah, son on Omaha).

Three stars for newbie saltidawg, who identified that the general in question was a Roosevelt.

Sorry that I didn't get back with clues, but as I said last weekend, we were out of town most of yesterday celebrating my "second son" and his new wife in Pennsylvania with his family who really are like family to us. It was so wonderful to see them, especially since both parents are going through chemo and no one is sure how long we have to be with them. It was such a gift for everyone to just be together, laugh, talk, and treasure the presence of one another.

Thanks for playing and putting up with my absence! I hope everyone has a most wonderful week.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Roosevelt on D-Day

• thinman
    9 years ago

Well, huh! I didn't even know there was a junior, let alone that he would have still been in the army by D-Day. Very interesting, Cynthia. I had been thinking of General Chesty Puller, the idol of all Marines, who was known for personally diving into the middle of any battle and whipping his weight in wildcats. Apparently, he was in the South Pacific at the time of D-Day.

Thanks for the fun, as always.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Again, I also knew nothing about the more modern Roosevelt's - interesting that they let him lead. He must have had some serious pull!! Interesting.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancy, they were really reluctant to let him go. Afterall, who wants to take a chance being the one who ordered the son of a president on a mission where he might be killed? Sounds like he had a lot of his father in him.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

TR, Jr., sounds like he lived up to his father's name.

Thanks for the interesting question. My brother-in-law came up with his name as well, even without the bully clue.

Sponsored