Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Well, happy Saturday, Cottagers!! It is a lovely sunny day here, not too warm so perfect for weeding, and maybe moving some plants around.

Perhaps a simple question today!! If I told you to 'knuckle down', what game would we be playing? Huh? I'll be back with clues!!

Nancy.

Comments (16)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

LOL, that's taking me back a bit, I wonder if that's where my addiction for colored glass came from. Did I ever show you guys the piece of Venetian glass DS#1 brought us back from Venice for our 50th?
    On the other hand it's overcast and much cooler today so I'm for the garden for some serious weeding another pair of dirty knees as well as shoes covered in dirt I'm afraid. Probably won't get back here till much later.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Annette - I envy you the ability to get on your knee - it is too painful for me anymore. And those weeds play for keeps!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

The weeds are really coming on strong now, aren't they? I have an old root-tiller that I use between the rows in my veggie garden. I've had it for thirty years and it was on its second engine when I paid fifty bucks for it in the eighties. It does a great job on the weeds (and on my back), but I keep expecting it to break. It finally did, a couple days ago, just after I finished the garden. I'm not sure if it's worth putting any money into, or even if I can get parts.

Enough of that blather. What about trivia? I first thought of football, picturing linemen with their knuckles on the ground before the ball is snapped. Then I thought of something else. DW tells me I lost them a long time ago, so I can't play that anymore. I'll keep thinking, just in case I am on the wrong trail.

TM

9 years ago

TM, thanks a lot! I just spit my coffee all over my computer screen. Now I really off to the garden, later.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Ha, ha, TM. Both Annette's and TM's clues tell me that I am on the right path.

The garden is calling to me. There is still a part of the beds that needs to be mulched and hope to finish it today before the 90+ weather hits on Monday along with good rain expected on Tuesday.

The bed edges need to be renewed but soil is still very moist from our wet spring/summer so that will wait until it is drier.

I see the neighbor's cat eyeing the birds at the feeder. Time to go out and shoo it away. Then to work in the beds.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh darn - your memories are far too sharp - lol. I guess my edges have all been worn off!! OK, you smarties, what is a 'taw'? No 'quitsies'!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Well shoot, Nancy, I think I may know that one too!

TM

9 years ago

Well shoot Nancy, I may know that one too! Hmmmm, do I hear an echo ?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh gosh darn - you all got me this weekend - lol. It was a simple question, but I thought - you, sometimes when i think it is simple I stump you. Ha, not this time.

Well, shall I leave it a bit to see if Cynthia can chime in? I didn't get as much weeding in as I wanted to, but got the tomatoes watered. Though I did that well enough yesterday, but they were parched again today.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Hi. Very late, but that is good since I am able to benefit from the smarter ones here! So, my guess is marbles! I had some, but never really knew how to play. I always loved how pretty they were. Probably should have saved them, but they were simply lost over the years like so much else. Sigh.

From Annette's comment, I will say a taw is a shooter marble.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Just came in from the gardens. Got all the mulching finished and the compost piles turned.

I didn't know what a taw is. Will go along with Cynthia that it is a shooter marble. We had marbles but didn't play with them much and didn't collect them. I remember cat's eyes and steelies. Still have a few from when my son was young. Also put them in the bottom of the aquarium and fish bowl.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:607852}}
    Well, yes, this was too easy for all of you - thought it might be too easy, and you'd miss it. I should know better!!
    Yep, we'd be playing marbles. I was a terrible player as a kid - the boys in the hood always wanted to play keepsies with me - lol. I still have some though, my Dad keep everything!!

So for everyone:
    {{gwi:607853}}{{gwi:607855}}{{gwi:607857}}{{gwi:607859}}

Thanks for playing - I'll be tougher next week!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marbles

• thinman
    9 years ago

Thanks, Nancy. No need to get tougher next week. I enjoyed feeling smart for a change. :-)

TM

9 years ago

Me too, It was nice to know something right off the bat :) for a change.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Thanks! I just hung on and rode everyone else's coattails!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Ooh, love the marble photos. Had lots of the top right one.

Agree, fun to know one. Thanks for all the many questions you have come up.

Sponsored