Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good day, dear cottagers. I enjoyed my sleep-in this morning, and have been slow to wake up, but I am more or less clear-headed at this point. Are you up for a little word puzzle today? If it turns out to be too easy, I have a backup question, so let's see how it goes.

Five of these words have a certain property that the sixth word doesn't share. The property doesn't have anything to do with the meanings of the words. Which word doesn't fit with the rest of the group?

Decaf, engage, pilfer, pupils, reward, stressed

Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

TM

Comments (23)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Late is good! I was watching the Tour de France, so your timing is near-perfect for me!

I am putting on my thinking cap (not unlike the one on that goofy cat yesterday) and will check back later.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good Morning! Rainy, and cooler here today! I am up late as I sat up last night running de-bugging programs, trying to get rid of the loopy music - to no avail!! I'm starting to wonder if the Windows updates I downloaded last week have anything to do with it!!

Methinks I have a clue, but will firstly wait for your clues, TM!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, I thought I had figured it out, but I am not positive. I may be approaching this backwards, but is engage the one that doesn't fit? I think I should wait for clues, too, before jumping in with an answer.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Hello all,
    my goodness what weather we're having here. It's so muggy and hot, i think my rock walls are melting! lol
    Been working so hard on my old house, I forget it's the weekend. Kitchen is still disassembled. Up stairs bath,too.
    the game :)
    All five share 2 and one is alone. Is my guess.
    :) Laura

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pins, pans, pets, and pots all fit the pattern, but pits doesn't.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think I do have it after all.

So, if I KEEP practicing golf, I may make PAR. If I do, will you give me a STAR? I promise never to PART with it!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, lost again!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cynthia, I may

Nancy, I can see how a forward-thinking individual such as yourself might have trouble viewing this question in the right way.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I see patterns in the examples but am not figuring out how they relate to the first set of words. Need to do some pondering as I work in the garden. Have lots of weeding to do, that old bugaboo, oxalis! Want to get it before it sets seeds.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ah, TM, I missed that one in my post. Perhaps if we could turn back time to Thanksgiving, I would have noticed it.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

If I am right, maybe this will help...or maybe not. There is a hint there. If you don't pick up on it, at least you get to hear one of my favorite songs from high school days!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jefferson Airplane

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Got it once I wrote them out. Interesting how there can be more than one pattern in a set of words. I'm not good at recognizing patterns and attribute that to not being taught how to look for them. I didn't even think about patterns until my son was learning them in elementary school.

I've spent the day loafing, reading and letting my body recover from a week of physical labor. Think it is time for a nap. Weeds will be there tomorrow.

Caught the clue in White Rabbit.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Sadly, I can't play music till I close this page - weird loop still in effect. The only thing I can think of with that is a Windows update I did since last weekend....grrrr.

As to patterns, one word has 5 letters, 4 have 6 and one has 7...I was thinking that decaf was the oddball because it really is a short-form, but the p-words don't work into that scenario. Hmmmmm......

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I'm back! :)
    thanks to cyn's 13:57 clue, I got it! Then we had a thunderstorm, and then I saw a butterfly.... seriously I'm easily distracted, a bit backwards. But some how it make sense, but not the way it was originally "written"
    P.S. DW is installed! 9+ months is finally over!!! I never knew how much I could , um... Not enjoy, washing dishes by hand.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, when you shift your car out of Park, what is the first gear you hit? (Assuming you have an automatic)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh, I so need to get my brain ENGAGED one more time- lol. Thank you for whacking me over the head!!

On a happier note - I cleared cookie history trying to get rid of or minimize the ads at the side of the screen, and I got rid of the music!! I hate magic, especially when it comes to computers!!

Thanks for the brain stretch - it and my left leg sorely need this.

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright! I think we are all there: All the words make legitimate words when spelled backward - not quite as clever as palindromes maybe, but interesting. Of course, engage was the exception.

for Bobbie, Cynthia, Laura, and Nancy.

Good weather news here - a big swath of rain is just starting to move into our area. Rain, rain, don't go away.

Thanks for playing trivia with me.

TM

Here is a link that might be useful: List of Back Words

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That was fun TM! The list is, too- I was trying to come up with longer words, but those are hard! Now, I will enjoy looking up the meanings of some of those words on the list (notice/eciton?). It is always fun earning new words. Ha, couldn't wait. Eciton is a genus of army ant-nasty looking little guys.

Thanks for the stars and enjoy the rain. I hope it lasts long enough to soak in and give everything a deep, cool drink! I am off to look at stone-I have this idea of building a low stone wall on one side of our driveway. Of course, I also want to clean out the garage and paint several rooms. Unfortunately, I am more successful at thinking up projects than I am at finishing them. ;(

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Just had a thought. Wouldn't it be fun to try to write a kids' book using mostly words from that list? I will add that to my list of projects (obviously haven't left for the stone yard yet). Finishing my tea and then I really will be off.

Cyntha

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and for the fun, TM. I realize that's I see patterns in numbers easier than in words. Probably why I find math interesting.

We had 3/10th of an inch of rain late last evening. While there is plenty of moisture in the ground the top layer was getting dry and I was planning to water Wednesday. We will be gone for most of a week and want to leave the gardens well watered. More rains expected over the weekend so gardens should be okay.

Good luck with your stone wall, Cynthia. Please post photos of your progress. I've thought of adding a stone wall but don't think I am up to taking the time needed or that amount of physical work anymore. I'm trying to get my garden beds into shape so we can do more summer travel next year.

Laura, glad you have your DW back. Doing a kitchen and bathroom remodel at the same time must be chaotic. We are talking about doing one or the other this fall. Need to do both but don't know if I could handle them both at the same time.

Nancy, is that new puppy keeping you hopping?

We are going to The Black Hills of SD for DH's family reunion this weekend. Don't know if we will have Internet access so may not see you all for next week's trivia. If I am able to connect I should have lots of help from some very smart people.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Have a wonderful trip, Bobbie. Take pictures! I have never been to that part of the country, although it is on the list.

As far as the wall goes, I sure hope I am up to it. Haha. We have a friend (older than I and younger than Chuck) with a serious case of ADHD who is always looking for stuff to do. He offered to help, so maybe we will actually get this done!

Yay, Laura. Life is so much easier with our machines, isn't it?!

Nancy, take it easy. Let yourself heal up. Laughing at that sweet pup may help!

Annette, missing you and awaiting your speedy return.

Thanks again TM.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the fun!
    I first thought it was syllables. Thank goodness for clues.
    2 projects at the same time... DH is not happy lol.
    The kitchen floor is down but needs tweaking before the fridge and freezer can be put back.
    I couldn't last another day without the DW.
    {{gwi:607914}}
    The neighbor's dog loves my new floor.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Pretty! The floor, that is, although the pup is pretty cute, too. We used to have a neighbor's dog who loved to hang out at our house when I was a kid-big old basset hound.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company