Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunday Trivia

Posted by cyn427 z7aN. VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 11:35

Okay, since mugger comes from Urdu and means water monster, let's see if we know what animals go with these names:

1. "He who scratches with his hands"

2. "Spirits of the Dead"

3. "He who Squirts"

Clues later if you need them. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunday Trivia

Holy Cow - I haven't stretched my brain muscles in a while!! I need clues!!

Nancy.

o

Okay Nancy, one and three come from American Indian origins, so are North American creatures and they are both quite common even in suburban settings. In fact, I thought #1 would have been a decent guess for yesterday's question. The name of number 2 comes from Latin and is a critter who was named by a zoologist in the 1700s because he was found the long tail and jumping to be pretty creepy. I personally think the eyes are pretty freaky, too. The tail makes me wonder if this island creature isn't related to #1, although it really couldn't be since they are found in the wild only on this one island.

Sorry I am not more clever in my clues. I will work on that for next weekend.

o

Well, that's a relief. I was afraid that we needed to come up with Urdu-based names, and I would have struck out there, I think.

If number one is what I think it is, I have had kids in my classes that reminded me of these, especially on the last day before a vacation.

Renault used to make something they called Le Car. Could number two be a five-letter word with three of the same letters in it?

Speaking of French things, there was a cartoon character named Pep __ ___. Might he be an example of number three?

TM

o

OK, I think I can guess 1 and 3 - 1 loves my garbage?!! TM, I think you've nailed it on 3! Now, 2, hmmmm. I want to think of make-up, in French - am I close??

Nancy.

o

See, that's why you are so good at this TM. It sure will take us practice.

o

Hmmm...make-up in French. Not sure where you're going. I am so mad that I can't think of better clues. This may scar me for life.

o

Ok, here are my answers:

1. Raccoon

2. Macaque Monkey

3. Skunk

Nancy.

o

I was thinking squirrel for number 1, but I think Nancy's answer is better.

My other two guesses are
2. Lemur
3. Skunk

TM

o

Well done! TM gets four stars (this is the best I can do-****) and Nancy gets four too since I didn't get back to her (****). I realized you were thinking of a Macaque, Nancy, but by then it was too late to give you another hint.

A couple others are:
bear comes from the Germanic for "the brown one"-too bad they didn't all cooperate, weasel means "stinking animal", parakeet comes from a word for little priest, and dingo means "tame dog" which is odd for a wild dog.

I really will try to be more clever next weekend.

o

Late to the game but I'll go with

1) Racoon
2) Lemur ( riding in on TM's coat tails :) )
3) Skunk ( I was thinking Gooey Duck but Skunk sounds like it fits the bill)

The Lion King was awesome, I was totally blown away, if you haven't seen it and do get a chance to go DON'T pass it up.

Annette

o

Ooops TOOOOOOO late, better next time.

Annette

o

Lemur!! Of course - ring-tailed lemurs!! lol.

Nancy.

o

Good questions, Cynthia. I had fun thinking about them.

TM

o

Thanks all!

Annette, three stars for you-took one off for lateness-it's the teacher in me, I guess. Teehee. ***

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here