Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Sunday Trivia

Okay, since mugger comes from Urdu and means water monster, let's see if we know what animals go with these names:

1. "He who scratches with his hands"

2. "Spirits of the Dead"

3. "He who Squirts"

Clues later if you need them. :)

Comments (14)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Holy Cow - I haven't stretched my brain muscles in a while!! I need clues!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay Nancy, one and three come from American Indian origins, so are North American creatures and they are both quite common even in suburban settings. In fact, I thought #1 would have been a decent guess for yesterday's question. The name of number 2 comes from Latin and is a critter who was named by a zoologist in the 1700s because he was found the long tail and jumping to be pretty creepy. I personally think the eyes are pretty freaky, too. The tail makes me wonder if this island creature isn't related to #1, although it really couldn't be since they are found in the wild only on this one island.

Sorry I am not more clever in my clues. I will work on that for next weekend.

• thinman
    13 years ago

Well, that's a relief. I was afraid that we needed to come up with Urdu-based names, and I would have struck out there, I think.

If number one is what I think it is, I have had kids in my classes that reminded me of these, especially on the last day before a vacation.

Renault used to make something they called Le Car. Could number two be a five-letter word with three of the same letters in it?

Speaking of French things, there was a cartoon character named Pepé __ ___. Might he be an example of number three?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

OK, I think I can guess 1 and 3 - 1 loves my garbage?!! TM, I think you've nailed it on 3! Now, 2, hmmmm. I want to think of make-up, in French - am I close??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

See, that's why you are so good at this TM. It sure will take us practice.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm...make-up in French. Not sure where you're going. I am so mad that I can't think of better clues. This may scar me for life.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Ok, here are my answers:

1. Raccoon

2. Macaque Monkey

3. Skunk

Nancy.

• thinman
    13 years ago

I was thinking squirrel for number 1, but I think Nancy's answer is better.

My other two guesses are
    2. Lemur
    3. Skunk

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well done! TM gets four stars (this is the best I can do-****) and Nancy gets four too since I didn't get back to her (****). I realized you were thinking of a Macaque, Nancy, but by then it was too late to give you another hint.

A couple others are:
    bear comes from the Germanic for "the brown one"-too bad they didn't all cooperate, weasel means "stinking animal", parakeet comes from a word for little priest, and dingo means "tame dog" which is odd for a wild dog.

I really will try to be more clever next weekend.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Late to the game but I'll go with

1) Racoon
    2) Lemur ( riding in on TM's coat tails :) )
    3) Skunk ( I was thinking Gooey Duck but Skunk sounds like it fits the bill)

The Lion King was awesome, I was totally blown away, if you haven't seen it and do get a chance to go DON'T pass it up.

Annette

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Ooops TOOOOOOO late, better next time.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Lemur!! Of course - ring-tailed lemurs!! lol.

Nancy.

• thinman
    13 years ago

Good questions, Cynthia. I had fun thinking about them.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all!

Annette, three stars for you-took one off for lateness-it's the teacher in me, I guess. Teehee. ***

Sponsored