Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Wanted: Your favorite squash recipies

girlgroupgirl
13 years ago

Hello fellow veggie gardeners and cooks!

As the summer moves along, I am noticing that there will be a fairly prolific winter squash veggie harvest in my garden. Lots of butternut, some small japanese and some HUGE japanese squashes. They all have that lovely rich, and mostly sweet flavor that I love in a squash.

What I need are more recipes, especially good ones for canning and freezing if you have them! Since I am gluten free, those are appreciated but I can usually change things around fairly easily and make it taste good and have fairly good texture.

Thanks!

GGG

Comments (4)

• natal
    13 years ago

Love butternut! I like it roasted and mashed. This is a recipe I found last year on the Closet Cooking blog. It's really good!

Thai-style Coconut Butternut Squash

1 tablespoon peanut oil
    1 teaspoon garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon ginger, grated
    2 cups butternut squash (cut into 1 inch cubes)
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    1 tablespoon palm sugar (or light brown sugar)
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce
    1 handful toasted coconut (optional)
    1 handful cilantro, chopped

Heat the oil in a pan. Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about a minute.

Add the squash, coconut milk, sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, chili sauce, cover and simmer until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes. Add cilantro and serve.

{{gwi:608426}}

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

Hey GGG - this is one of my favourite recipes, and a favourite of visitors!! This is from Bert Greene's "Greene on Greens".

Curried Winter Squash Bisque

2 T. unsalted butter (I never buy unsalted butter)
    6 whole scallions, bulbs and greens, finely chopped (I have been know to use whatever onion I have at hand)
    1 clove garlic, minced (one seems so lonely)
    1 small green pepper, seeded and finely chopped (or red!)
    1/4 chopped fresh parsley (never use it)
    2 tsp. fresh basil, chopped - yessss!!!
    2-lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed (I usually roast it and scoop it out)
    1 ham bone, or 1/2-lb. chunk of smoked ham (since I am usually entertaining at least one vegetarian, I have never used this)
    1 14-oz. can of plum tomatoes
    4 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth, for vegetarians
    1/2 tsp. ground allspice
    1/4 tsp. ground mace
    Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
    2 tsp. curry powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste.

Method: Melt butter in large saucepan over med-low heat. Add the scallions; saute 2 minutes. Add garlic, green pepper 1/4 cup parsley and basil. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
    Add the squash to the saucepan. Toss to coat it with the scallion mixture. Add the ham, tomatoes, broth, allspice, mace and nutmeg. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer for about one hour. If you used the ham bone or meat, remove it now.
    Bert Greene says to puree the soup in batches in your blender. I use a hand blender, in the pot, very carefully!
    Stir in the curry powder, heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add salt, pepper and sprinkle with parsley.
    I have done this in a crock pot too - the flavour seems to benefit from the slow cooking. This is a great recipe that seems to adapt well to what you have on hand. Greene recommended this for a late winter's early supper, with bread, cheese and salad. I concur. I have also used it in small bowls to start a meal, but my guests ended up trolling in the kitchen for more soup!!

Cheers, Nancy.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These look so delicious! Thank-you. My hubby LOVES curry, and he loves soup too...and he eats anything at all with coconut milk in it! Thanks.
    I just found an enchilada recipe on the internet too. He loves anything tex/mex-ish ...

Right now I'm making him vegan enchiladas with malabar spinach, roasted eggplant, garlic & onions, and green tomatillo sauce - all from the garden. I make tortillas from "almost scratch) - we buy the masa. It makes a huge difference in flavor!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    13 years ago

PS - the soup freezes perfectly - I do it in individual servings to take to work!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting