Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thursday Tea...almost the end of July

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 16:42

Can you believe it's already the last Thursday of July? Why does July always seem to go by much faster than January? I hope you're all enjoying your gardens today...and for those in the high heat/drought conditions...I hope you're enjoying a cool glass of iced tea in the shade, or at least, the air conditioning.

Here in eastern Washington, it's been in the mid 70s to low 80s most of the month. At night, it often gets into the 30s and 40s, which is very unusual. The roses are still budding out (even the once blooming shrub roses) and you'd think it was the end of June, by looking at the garden. I doubt we'll see many heat loving summer fruits or vegetables this year, but it's a small price to pay, compared to what's happening in much of the country.

I'm on my way out to water the garden and then hopefully, will catch up on the weeding, in the next few days. The weeds are growing like crazy, but some are so pretty, that I've decided to leave a few in the back of the beds. It's been so nice in the evening, we've been sitting out in the garden, watching the horses and catching up on our day. We even saw a little doe come up for salt (while the horses were not standing too close to their salt lick).

She was so cute...and didn't seem to show any interest in the garden, whatsoever. It was nice that she showed enough respect, that she didn't eat any plants, right in front of me! (LOL) It's also helped that all the grass, in the pasture, is still green and that we planted lots of herbs and flowers (that the deer don't like) in with the fruits and vegetables.

I hope you all have a lovely Thursday and enjoy your tea :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thursday Tea...almost the end of July

It's a lovely summer day here, things are perking up it won't be long before we're picking beans. The garlic was a complete failure, too wet for garlic, it rotted so I pulled it. Still eating lettuce, the strawberries are finished but we are having a great raspberry crop. No ripe tomatoes yet but they're coming and cucs are starting to form on the vines. I'm not sure but think I may have a flower forming on my corkscrew vine I grew from seed last year, fuchsia baskets are starting to look good I wish I had planted more as this year the weather has been perfect for them.
All the roses need deadheading badly and of course the weeds, those dang weeds LOL.
Tea will be at 3 at our house, maybe a cranberry muffin :).

Annette

o

Hi, I went tealess on vacation today , but very excited as I am hoping to track down the elusive Banana Cream Shasta Daisy and such at other nurseries out of state. I'm so glad your summers are cool and pretty and relaxing.
I'm excited to see if my buddleia cuttings will root (or rot lol) while I'm away. :)

o

Skipped tea yesterday, will try to relax with a cuppa this afternoon. Very warm here already, it's only 81 so must be the humidity. The sky threatens rain, then the sun comes out again.

Never got the edging done those two days when it was more comfortable. In fact, I haven't even dead headed for several days. But some of the roses are having a second flourish, leaves look a little yellow and spotty here and there however. I'm headed out to have a look around to see how other things are coping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here