Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good morning, all. I'm trying to get an early start on the fishies today, so I'll get right to the trivia.

In 1874 a man named Joseph Glidden from DeKalb Illinois got a patent for a product that became so handy that today there are some 570 patented variations on it. It was, and is, a very useful product, but was hated by one group of people as its use spread across the country. The product has now developed a following of collectors who will pay hundreds of dollars for a small sample of one of the rarer styles.

I'll be back around mid-day with more clues, if you need them.

TM

Comments (21)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good morning All. Finally back here. Hmmm, the name Glidden brings a product to mind, and 'spread' sure sounds like a clue.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Hmmm...well one general direction of products comes to mind immediately, unless the name is a red herring and expected to lead us in the wrong direction. Thinking of home improvement in general and trying to figure out the specifics. What rare samples would be prized today? Hmmm again! Will be thinking as I start to paint a $15 Craig's List table for the basement guest room-Chuck won't let me paint over any of our (his) cheap little mahogany chests or tables. Sigh. This is my first attempt at painting furniture. We'll see. I have it sanded and now need to wipe it down and apply primer. Can I put latex paint over an oil-based primer, does anyone know?

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That clue caught my eye, too, Nancy.

I just searched and found that I can put latex over oil based primer, so heading out to wipe down the chest and drawers, bring them in, and start priming. Hope this works. I can already hear the "tsk tsk, I told you so" if it looks awful. ;)
    Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rats! I meant to put this in the first post, but I was in too much of a hurry. Joseph Glidden isn't the paint guy. He was a farmer whose invention made life easier for him and eventually made him a very rich man.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh-oh. So not the paint guy!! Hmmm....off to think!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone remember the 1996 movie starring Pamela Anderson that was nominated for six Golden Raspberry Awards? Among them were Worst Picture, Worst Actress, Worst New Star (she won this one), Worst Screenplay, and Worst Screen Couple (her boobs). I missed it myself.

If you do remember it, then this clue is a giveaway. If not, I'll bring on more clues later.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Nope, PA does not ring a bell, however, two questions have occurred to me:
    Is the company named for his home town?
    Does the 'spread' clue still apply?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Okay, switching gears. I figured it would be too easy if he were the paint guy!

No idea about the movie. Where is Laura? She knows so much recent movie and tv trivia it seems! It is always good to have a younger person helping out here! ;)

I have seen DeKalb on machinery, I think, but it is one of those fuzzy things that I can't quite pull out of the clutter in my brain. ha.

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, the movie clue didn't do it for you, how about a musical clue from the 1930s. Can you give the missing lines in the song? (Same line for each.)

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above.

Let me ride through the wide open country that I love.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh, goodness sakes!! Got it now, and now get the PA reference - she got a tattoo specially for this role, yes??

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh heck, I can't help myself: she was the titular character, yes??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

heheheh, Nancy. Funny.

SO, what does this say about us when a 1930s reference gives it to us, but we had no idea about the 1996 reference (which still means nothing to me).

I do, however, have that song running through my head now, though! :)

Cynthia, who went ahead with the oil-based primer. I will put on the first coat of paint either after school tomorrow or on Tuesday when we have a "work from home day" which no one ever uses for work :)

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laughing here, Nancy! Good thing I didn't spit out my red wine when I read it.

Work from home day. That's a good one, Cynthia. Don't think we ever got one of those in our contract.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

They are actually teacher workdays, but they allow the principals to authorize us to work from home once or twice a year. Just started a couple of years ago. I suspect it is an attempt to boost morale since we haven't had a raise of any kind (step or COLA) in five years. Not really working for me if that it their motive.

Okay, so Mr. Glidden must have had something to do with fencing. Maybe fancy gates or that beautiful wrought iron fencing-Victorian ones especially.Either that or the complete opposite of decorative-barbed wire? Need more clues to decide.

How was fishing, btw?

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fishing was a bust today, sadly, but there will be a lot more days to come.

Remember, Glidden was a farmer and probably pretty down to earth. I'm sure there was a practical point to everything he did.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I am going to go with barbed wire fencing after re-reading your first post about some people hating it. Thank goodness for all the Westerns when I was a child! If I am right that is-seems the fencing on the range was always an issue for the cattlemen.

Time for bed since it is-gasp-a school night. At least there are no kids this week.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Just in from a busy day. I agree, barbed wire. I saw a documentary years ago and remember some of the different collected versions shown.

I also do not get the PA reference.

Know the song well. Which of the singing cowboys made it popular? Was it Roy Rogers? This evening I was telling my sister-in-law that I always wanted a palomino after watching his show with Trigger. Meanwhile, I was stroking Venus, her beautful gentle palomino while her other two horses, Lippizanns, were nudging Venus aside to get her share of the sweet corn.

Hope you are happy with your furniture makeover, Cynthia. I can't believe you are back to school already.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 0:12

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, indeedy, his patent was for barbed wire. There was a very practical point to his invention, in fact lots of them. You can see a couple of samples of Glidden's wire in this collection.

{{gwi:609192}}

for Bobbie, Cynthia, and Nancy. Hey Laura! Where were you?

I put in a link to a great account of barbed wire and the events that followed its introduction.

The name of the Pamela Anderson movie was Barb Wire, and that's probably all that needs to be said about that.

Thanks for playing trivia with me.

TM

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbed Wire

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

That was fun, TM. That song is now stuck in my head, which is good, since it replaced my last earworm. It was RR who sang it first, though der Bingle also covered it!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That was fun TM! I never would have gotten it without your clues-good thing you had more than just PA up your sleeve. Barb Wire, huh? I don't think I want to know anything more about that. ;)

First day back and one of my instructional assistants was not there (new and HR is just pathetically slow) and the other appears to suffer from Oppositional/Defiant Disorder. Hehhehheh. Actually not funny. Turns out that I won't be using the work from home day after all since she did NOTHING I asked her to do today and the room won't be ready if I don't go in tomorrow since Wednesday and Thursday are booked with meetings all day both days. Everything has to be ready by Friday morning for open house. I was there until 6:30 today. Thinking it was a mistake not to retire. *sigh*

Have a wonderful week everyone.

Thanks for the great question, TM, and for the stars! Made my day.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars, TM. I am intimately acquainted with barb wire and have a seven inch scar to prove it. So long ago I mostly forget the scar until someone exclaims, "what did you do to your leg?"

Cynthia, I am sorry that your "helpers" were so unhelpful. Hope you can recover some of the sense and excitement of possibilities of a new year.

Thanks, Nacy, for letting me know that Roy Rogers was the first cowboy to record 'Don't Fence Me In'.

We came home to a very hot house and with our participation in on/off electrical power cycling to reduce peak energy use it took a long time to cool down. Is just now getting comfortable. High was 97 degrees and expecting 90+ degrees through a week from this coming Wednesday.