Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning Cottagers,

Today dawned grey and overcast, but I suspect it is only a tease. We are in desperate need of rain and I am about to turn on the hoses and pull weeds, but first...trivia.

What do koalas and the great apes (including humans) have that is unique in the animal kingdom?

I will be back with clues if you need them.

Cynthia

Comments (13)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Mornin' all, by jove I think I know this one, later :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I believe that we mathematicians use one of the words often though it has a different meaning for us.

Cloudy and cool here this morning and hoping for a good rain as opposed to yesterday when we only got a dribble. Watered some individual plants yesterday but am waiting to see if mother nature does the job today.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really need to get busy in the yard. I have wasted the entire morning. Oh well. The iPad needs recharging (forgot to plug it in last night), so I will turn it off, clean off the smudges, and get into my gardening duds-long sleeves, long trousers, high socks-and do some weeding and mulch dumping.

If I am lucky, when I come in for a break, there will be an old episode of Law and Order on tv. So sad they canceled that!

Cynthia

11 years ago

Cynthia, you had smudges on your ipad? Sounds like you had sticky fingers or was just good old garden dirt :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha, Annette! Even my clean fingers leave marks. That is the only drawback to touch screens!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

I have pondered this all day - gone pro and con, opposed my own ideas. Hmmmm....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Nancy, I am not sure you are there yet. I thought some would go for opposable thumbs, but there are many more animals that share that characteristic. I can just picture you drumming your fingers and thinking, what in the world could it be? :)

I just heard that Neil Armstrong died today. I am heartbroken. All the reports I have read online seem to include his unique boot print on the moon. It was the summer before my senior year in high school and the moon landing capped years of excitement about space. When I was much younger, Dad took us all out to watch Sputnik go across the sky above our house and I was hooked. I have always wished I were better at math and science as I would have loved to be an astronaut. I cannot image the wonder of seeing our planet from space. Wow. I think it was perfect serendipity that allowed him to be the first to step on the surface of the moon.

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

I've popped in a couple of times today, but I had no great thoughts and lots of stuff to do. Now that I have a little time to think, I am wondering, does the answer have anything to do with loops and whorls?

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Shucks, I was going with opposable digits. All the clues are leading me to the same conclusion as TM.

Only a few sprinkles today so I will be watering tomorrow.

I remember watching the moon landing on our poorly functioning black and white TV. The tube was going so there was a part of the picture blacked out. Still it was exciting for two newly weds going to grad school to prop up the pillows and watch history being made. We had such high expectations for mankind's space exploration. I still have those expectations but have learned that the time span will be much greater than I had thought.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...are we talking CSI stuff here? Loops and whorls??

Nancy.

11 years ago

I'm thinking fingerprints.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aha, you brilliant sleuths! Yes, individual fingerprints is the answer.
    **** for Annette, TM, Bobbie, and Nancy.

We, along with apes and koalas, are unique in the animal kingdom for having those tiny prints on our fingers. The koalas fingerprints are so similar to those of humans that is extremely difficult to tell them apart.
    The ridges on a gorilla's hand not only give them unique patterns, but help them to grip objects.

Thanks for playing. Time to go dig. I accomplished practically nothing yesterday and last evening, Chuck mentioned that I would have a lot of digging to do today. A not-so-subtle reminder that tomorrow is back to school for me and I can't put off this chore any longer! One of my first tasks this year is to look into the possibility of retiring at the end of the year. I doubt I will be able to do so, but it will be nice to see my options.

Smiling and waving my unique fingers,
    Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thank you, Cynthia. I would have never got the answer if not for your good hints.

Sorry about the end of your summer. It doesn't matter how long the vacation, at the end it doesn't seem long enough. You will so love retirement, and I hope it can work out for you this year.

Waving my unique fingers back,
    TM

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms