Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning, my friends.

It seems as though the humidity here is creeping back. Too bad. I have been getting exercise from walking the pups and gardening thanks to the comfortable weather lately. We may get rain today, though-it is more overcast than it was when I got up. I should probably just head out on a round-the-neighborhood adventure with the dogs immediately, but I need to get at least one cup of tea in first. I have had all summer to lose get in shape and lose a little weight, but it takes the looming return to school to actually motivate me. Sigh.

So for today we have a food/health-related question. Can you tell me what the following have in common other than their obvious food group?

Cauliflower, peppers, spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, cucumber, green beans, asparagus, and cooked, mashed butternut squash. There is one more to add to the list, but I will do that later.

Time for tea and the newspaper. Then, a walk if hasn't started raining yet.

Cynthia

Comments (24)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!! A sunny cool morning here - the humidity has definitely dissipated here and that is a good thing!!

Well, everything but mushrooms fit into my first thought, so it is on to the next thought!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Well, that's interesting. Butternut squash is on the list if it's cooked and mashed, but the others are good any old way. That makes me think that the thing they have in common doesn't have anything to do with nutrition. Yet, this is a food/health question. Hmmmm, what would mashing have to do with health?

I'll be giving this more thought and maybe hoping for a clue.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    Nice cool over cast day here. The weather channel claims the sun will come out around noon. Not looking too good lol.
    I'm thinking very hard, but so far nothing is coming to mind.
    :) Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it is just that the squash is not something one normally would eat raw, TM. Now, you of all people should be able to get this! Put on your "I'm a dynamic teacher" hat once again. :)

Moving to more practical matters, I am so pleased to be able to live without the ac lately. It is nice to know the power bill will be lower! Now, if there was just a way to do the same come winter. My son is into green energy as are we, but the cost for solar panels and/or retrofitting a geothermal unit is out of our reach. Too bad. In Maryland, we have friends who basically got their solar panels for free. Virginia is not so forward-thinking, I am afraid- no deals here. I think I need to boost my metabolism somehow so as not to feel the cold so much come winter-I tend to wear a coat inside some of the time! Ridiculous.

Time to go do my little bit of weight lifting-15 minutes or so. Maybe that will help.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I am reading along but do not know the answer. Will keep thinking as I work in the gardens this beautiful sunny, cool day.

There are holes where some of the taller plants have been shovel pruned that need to be filled. Also compost and other amendments to be added to the new bed being built.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Hmmm,
    things that taste good batter dipped and fried?
    Things that taste good wrapped in bacon? LOL just kidding. I'm stumped. Besides just about anything taste good batter dipped, fried, and wrapped in bacon.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I agree Laura - sadly, my hips show the damage. I was thinking good source of fibre, but mushrooms didn't work. So a good source of something that is good for us, but what?

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Might these foods help people to do what a big segment of our population wants to do?

Went fishing this morning and am painting the house this afternoon. Thanks for giving me a reason to come inside and take a break. And now, back on the ladder.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heh heh heh, Laura. I guess there is more than one right answer here! What isn't good batter-dipped and fried?! And bacon, well, Chuck and I can eat a whole package between the two of us. That is why I only buy it once or twice a year for holiday breakfasts. Makes me think of the most recent political tiff, though, between Chris Christie and Rand Paul. Pretty funny.

Nancy, you are getting warm.

Did anyone read about the swimming championships? Sounds as though Lochte really burned up the pool. So cool.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I know it has something to do with healthy eating, athletes, and the President? Or it has something to do with England?
    Do you always drink tea? Or China? Lots of tea. UGH!
    Obviously I'm grasping a straws. lol

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

The one wild card for me is the mushrooms - I know some find them tasty, but what would be good for in them??? Hmmmm.....is 'burning' a clue?

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Metabolic boosting of some kind?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No clue in tea, Laura. Sorry. I am a tea drinker though- never liked the flavor of coffee.

Let's see, how does one lose weight? Exercise to burn calories and fewer calories taken in. Of course, all foods are not equal, are they?

Would it help to know that celery is the #1 food in this top ten group?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Ahhh....I remember this now. Shame celery doesn't taste better alone!! I tend to want it with cream cheese or cheese whiz - lol.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Low-calorie foods?

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Diuretics?
    Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close, TM. More specifically...? There are lots of low cal foods that do not have this quality. I would be so thin if chocolate had this quality.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Oh,
    I've heard that you burn more calories eating celery, than you absorb from the actual intake. Not sure if that's a wives tale though.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I am thinking along the same line as Laura. Do all of these foods burn more calories when eaten than they have?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for Nancy, Laura, and Bobbie! Three for TM!

Yes, these vegetables are called thermic vegetables because they burn more calories than contain. There is some dispute that that effect is real, but I like the idea, so I am going with the theory!

I was trying to get you all to come up with thermic by thinking thermal hence the dynamic clue, TM (thermal dynamics-yes, a bit of a stretch, I know. Sorry). I figured celery would give it to you! :)

Hope it was fun. I have linked the article below for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermic veggies

• thinman
    10 years ago

I see what you were going for now. I probably could have paid more attention in thermodynamics class, but I'm pretty sure thermic vegetables never came up. :)

Thanks for the fun, Cynthia. True or not, it's still a good question and answer.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good fun Cyn - you were right to withhold the celery clue. I remember that from the misty past!! I thought it was the only one. Thanks for the mental exercise.

Nancy,

• auntyara
    10 years ago

If thinking hard, burns calories...I must have lost 5lbs yesterday.
    Thanks for the cool stars and the fun!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia. Celery definitely gave it away though maybe not if it had been in with the others. Totally missed the thermo dynamics clue.

Another small group coming to see my gardens midweek. Lots of deadheading to do. Seems like many plants have finished their cycle this past week. The friends here last week may have seen it at the summer peak.

Sponsored