Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning, gardeners!

I feel as though I have been run over by a truck today. We just finished our first week back at school (without kids, mind you) and I am worn out from staying late every day excepti Wednesday when I took leave in the afternoon and went down to the Lincoln Memorial for the 50th Anniversary March.

So, this weekend, I am planing to stay in my grungy clothes-no dressing up for me again until Tuesday!

On to trivia. Speaking of fashion (what, you didn't realize we were?), what modern day vestige of an old style can you think of that originated with Croatians in the court of Loius XIV and evolved to require at one point yards of fabric, servants, and more than an hour when dressing and wearing to prepare properly? If you get this right off, I will throw in a couple more similar questions.

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good Morning, Cynthia!! A lazy day here - sorry your first week back was so tough. Still fighting the flea battle here, though Pita seems to be grooming her tail more again, so we may have won that skirmish.

Now, if you'd said Scots, not Croatians, I'd have an answer. I must go away to think - a pot of tea, perhaps!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hey, where is everybody??

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I'm back from fishing. I went for the morning and stayed later. Caught around 10 fish, but nothing to write home about, or to write cottagers about either.

So it's fashion, huh? And something that used to require gobs of material, but now is much smaller. So far I'm drawing a big fat blank, but I'll cogitate on it some and see what happens.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, I was going to respond to your first post with exactly the words of your second post. Haha. Then, I began my first ever attempt at drywalling part of a wall. Long story, but I am now waiting for the compound to dry so I can sand, tape and add more compound. I want the room finished by Monday. I also want quite a few other things finished, too. Betting nothing will be completely finished. Oh well.No clues there, btw.

Well, let's see, Croats originated this in Europe (hence the original name), but the style was popularized by a young dandy who became quite a fashion icon. Some of his habits continue to this day (bathing and brushing teeth everyday for instance), others, not so much (cleaning his boots with champagne).The _____ was often changed three times a day, not just once. Imagine not getting it perfect and having to start all over after spending an hour at it already!

TM, do you ever go fly fishing?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Well, I am still completely confused!! My mind went immediately to a kilt-like piece of apparel, but you didn't take the bait on that!! Well, I'll be hanged, I don't know.....

Went out to the garden to do some deadheading of the orange cosmos - I got lots of seed dried already, so now want it to continue blooming. Also picking more of the Beans from the seed Annette sent my several years ago - it is a prolific heritage type, and very yummy.

I need (more) clues, Cyn!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, dang Nancy, you gave a clue (third sentence) without even realizing it! I could stick my neck out and say it has nothing to do with kilts, but then you would end up telling me something new about kilts and I would be wrong. Still, don't think it is connected with kilts. The original version is still worn at times, but always appears a tad pretentious to me.I would bet TM has little use for these at this point.Chuck certainly doesn't.

There is also a clue if you know anything about fly fishing and making (not the correct word!) flies.

How lovely to be picking fresh beans! I am still missing Annette and sending every good thought her way.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Hello, late to the party but here at last.

I think I have it from the fly fishing clue and the reference to TM. DH wore one routinely as part of his job. Now that he is retired he rarely does.

This has been a busy week for us with gatherings of family and friends. Both happy and sad occasions. One evening we enjoyed playing cards. DH and I play lots of games at our house. Last week we were playing triple Yahtzee and both ended up with the same score. That seldom happens.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I wonder how William and Kate are doing with their little half -pint Windsor??

Nancy.

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 21:08

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

:) cute and clever, Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Sorry I haven't been here for the fun today. We had a get-together with friends that went from 4 until just a little while ago. When you wrote Croat, Cynthia, I thought of cravat. That's all I have at this point, and, since I'm heading for bed soon, that's all I'm likely to get. Maybe I'll have a really informative dream tonight.

Will check back tomorrow morning. Sure hope I can think of a trivia question for then.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ties, neckties, cravats

My brother-in-law ties fish lures and fixes fishing pole
    thingamagigs. You know, those things you wind to bring the line in, oh yeah, reels. This is his retirement job, very part time as he needs time for fishing.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 4:33

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for Bobbie, Nancy, and TM. Yes, cravat comes from Croat (nice catch TM-I wasn't sure anyone would make that connection) and ties are the descendants. Beau Brummell picked up the style and turned it into must-have style!

The link below is interesting. I almost used the story of Catherine de Medici and high heels instead of the tie one, but decided clues would be easier with the tie story. Nancy, the Windsor clue you gave was great (half-pint Windsor)! I love that. Mine wasn't nearly so clever. Thanks.

Off to sand the drywall, apply the tape, and apply compound again. Chuck said I will be able to use the really big putty knife thing (?) today. Woohoo. Much better than doing bills which will come next.

Have a great week everyone and happy Labor Day. Do you celebrate that in Canada? Don't think so. You are too busy laboring, huh?! And it would be spelled labour, I expect. Now, there is a research project---why did US Americans drop the 'u' in words like that? I will get back to you. Love a puzzle. ;)

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Iconic fashion

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, look what I found! Even better.

:)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

lol. Love the tie. I did think of Cravat, but couldn't think of a clever way to say it, and yes, I did mean hanged, as another tentative guess! lol. Yes, we celebrate Labour Day here. And as to you last comment, I believe it was your Mr. Webster who wanted to 'simplify' the language, so he dropped many 'useless' letters from words: the e from Ax, the u from many different words.

Thanks for the fun. Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right you are Nancy. That does sound correct and familiar now that you mention it! Gosh, now I have no excuse to avoid all my chores. :)

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I didn't get the half pint Windsor clue though guess it must be one of the different ways to tie a tie.

The tie with the stars was so fitting.

Thanks for choosing this fun question.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks for the good fun, Cynthia, and the starry tie. When I was teaching, I had a smiley-face tie that I wore to school every payday. The kids soon learned to call it my payday tie.

To answer your question that I didn't answer yet, yes I have gone fly fishing, after a fashion. I have a fly rod, and I have used it a few times, but I have yet to catch a fish with it. I'm going to have to buy some waders and actually get in the river, I think.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County