Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning cottagers! It is a lovely albeit cloudy morning here. It does feel as if the humidity may be returning, though. I am planning to make a nursery run up to Maryland, so let's get right to it.

Are any of you fans of Star Trek? Only one person has ever portrayed him/herself in the Star Trek universe. Who do you think that was?

Be back in a bit with clues and camellias (I hope).

Cynthia

Comments (18)

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm thinking it may have been in an episode where they time-traveled to Earth and got there in a previous time period. Just a guess, but it seems logical. (I hope Spock would think so.)

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmmm, must think about this one.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

oh, oh, oh - this is dancing on the edge of my memory. I need to focus!! lol.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

As an original Trekkie I know this one. Watched an episode last night but not the one to which you are referring. He has also been on another " space" show that is only half as long.

Edited to add: not a time traveling episode. It was a holodeck scene and not in TOS.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 13:44

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Success! I came home with three Camellia 'Japanese Fantasy', one fothergilla 'Mt. Airy' (have two here already), one Itea virginica Henry's Garnet and one Clethra alnifolia 'Ruby Spice' -they are small, but I am patient. :) Of course, I may need a wheelchair by the time I get all the holes dug! I am going to water if it doesn't rain, otherwise I will never get to shovel into the ground. Wish I had studied physics, TM. I would understand leverage better and save my knees and back some aches, don't you think?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Makes me think of this quote from Shakespeare:
    Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
    And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
    Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.

Or maybe I am out in left stellar fieldé

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Very humid here today but only a very few sprinkles so far. I've lots to do outside but that will wait for another day. Am doing laundry and finished up a history of MN soldiers during the Civil War and their brief time protecting bridges in MO. Not real successful at keeping the bridges from being burned but got to be good at rebuilding them. They were considered heroes by some and traitors by others for releasing slaves being shipped by train to KS for sale. The slaves disappeared into history and the soldiers were jailed for treason but were eventually sent to the east into battle.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like an interesting book-a brief history would be a good way to end the summer.

I was going to go to the farmers' market with my new neighbor today, but we were both feeling lazy, I guess. She went to the big one at Market Square yesterday and the Sunday one is much smaller. I avoid the big one-too many folks hawking their wares and way too many customers. I like our smaller West End market.

Fixing crab cakes and corn on the cob for dinner, so I will be back in a bit. I need to check everything.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I had an idea who it might be, and your last two clues have confirmed it for me, Cynthia. I would love to have the man's brain, though not his method of transportation.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

OK, I was in left field - got it now - I am such a bird brain.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Surely, one who can quote Shakespeare so beautifully could never be considered to be a bird brain!

I thought I gave too much away at once and I was right. :)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Stephen Hawking

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Yep!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Four stars for TM, Bobbie, and Nancy! Yes, Stephen Hawking portrayed himself. Bobbie, wow, you knew all the details!

The stars look like more than four, but that is only because we are traveling so fast and getting close to warp speed.

Have a marvelous week and be sure to laugh every day!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Thanks Cyn - great question - for some reason I initially thought of Carl Sagan. His quote, from Cosmos is "The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff." It is often quoted as

" We are made of star-stuff.
    Our bodies are made of star-stuff.
    There are pieces of star within us all."

- which always reminded me of the Shakespeare quote. It is wrongly attributed and I didn't really find where is came from, but many people have said similar things. Always loved it, and loved that quote.

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Great question, Cynthia, and Hawking is an amazing person. As usual, I should have caught on long before I did, but all's well that ends well.

Bobbie, you are indeed a Trekkie, and I'm in awe of your knowledge.

Thanks for the fun, Cynthia.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I love that quotation, too, Nancy! Carl Sagan was someone who should have stayed far longer than he did. So many of those though, aren't there?

Yes, TM, Hawking is pretty amazing. Way over my comprehension, I'm afraid.

Oh, and the Shakespeare is from The Tempest. :)

Cynthia

This post was edited by cyn427 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 21:06

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Helps that sometime in the last couple of weeks I was reading about Hawking and his first wife. Also saw the PBS program about Hawking's life recently. Another show he plays himself on is The Big Bang Theory. They had a show where Will Wheaton, Wesley from Star Trek The Next Generation, and Hawking were on together. I'm a big fan of TBBT as well. The characters remind me of my nerdy kids.

Thanks for the fun, Cynthia. Enjoyed trying to put clues in my postings.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz