Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good morning, dear cottagers. Another gorgeous day here in the paradise that is northern Michigan in the summer. In my resort town we have many many summer homes (that I guarantee are grander than your house or mine) built by wealthy folks from the southeastern part of the country. Most of them are very nice people and we peacefully co-exist with them during the season while they escape the heat and humidity of the south.

Just chatting there -- no hints are contained therein.

Here's a very simple, and maybe easy, trivia question today: What is a demijohn?

We are going to watch powerboat races later this morning, but I'll check back in an hour or so before we go, and as soon as we get back to see if you need any clues.

TM

Comments (24)

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Sounds familiar but, I need clues.

Enjoy the races.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good Morning TM, and Bobbie!! I know what a demi-tasse is....hmmmm demijohn - half a toilet?? Must go away and think more!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're going to have lunch today at a cottage on the lake and watch the race boats go by. I suspect we may drink an adult beverage or two while we're at it.

Speaking of beverages, have you ever tried homemade beer? I tried making it once and it wasn't too great. I have a couple of friends, though, who make excellent beer, so I know it can be done. I would have thought that with all my chemistry lab experience I would have been quite good at it, but it takes more than one try, I guess.

See you after the race.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

This also sounds familiar to me, but I have no idea yet.

Love boat races, especially sailing racings, but I grew up across the street from a man who raced hydroplanes. He lost an arm racing, but continued to own these amazing sleek boats that he sometimes parked in his driveway-suppose he was either coming or going. Here is a link with pictures of Mr. Ritner's boat. Yes, I seem to be living in the past. sigh. I always thought his boats were very cool.

Cynthia, who is looking for clues in the above posts and coming up empty

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr. Ritner's hydroplane

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all
    Happy day here. It's moving day !!!
    My daughter and her husband finally closed on their house. They never technically moved in with us, just piles of their stuff. I feel like I'm in a episode of hoarders.
    The game. I have no idea what a demijohn is. I know what a demigod is. Nah, just kidding. I have no idea what that is either lol I've just heard the word before. Will need lots of clues.
    :)Laura

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Love that hydroplane link Cyn. I used to be involved with antique boats, and there is a regatta of race boats near here this weekend.
    TM, are you looking for size?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ah, Chuck may actually have this! I think there are some clues in your second post, aren't there?

I could go for some adult beverages, too, maybe a nice chianti with some cheese. Sadly, none here.

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy -- Yes, size is a factor, but you don't have to specify an exact size. What I mean by that is there is no exact measurement that makes a demijohn, but a demijohn-like thing that is small wouldn't be considered a demijohn as far as I can tell..

Cynthia -- Yes, there are some clues in my second post. That Chuck is a smart one.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

So it isn't the contents.....

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Who grows up to be a car enthusiast, a car man, so to speak? Do you know that word?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

lol. A young car man?? I think I get your drift!! I used to make my wine at home.

I'm reading a book called The Nine Days of Dunkirk, which is a day by day account of the rescue. This is from the 29th of May, 1940. It was quoted from the Master's Report (Capt. R. Hughes) from the Killarney, a large personnel ship. Here is the quote I read this am, which confused me: A little later Killarney sighted a raft, made of wood and an old door, bearing one French officer and two Belgian soldiers. "The commissariat of the raft was most complete - two tins of biscuits and six demijohns of wine. Also, carefully lashed on the raft was a bicycle of ancient vintage."
    Funny to read this page on the day you asked the question!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

A piece of equipment, glassware used in making beer? Now that I read Nancy's post it must be a container.

Car man? No idea where to go with that clue.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Before he was a car man, he was a ...

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Boy toy? Ha,ha, I am drawing a blank here.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well now, car man is not something/someone I know. Still, I will stick with Chuck. No stars for me since I am only hanging onto his idea.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How about this: Before he was a car man, he was a car _ _ _.

I'm afraid that this clue won't be very helpful, even when you fill in the blanks. It's probably too specialized a term.

You're all pretty darn close here, and we probably should call it good any time now. Anyone have anything else to add first?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

When you make wine at home, or at a shop, the initial fermentation is in a bucket, with an airlock. Then it is transferred to carboy - a very large glass container with a narrow mouth. I have never heard it referred to as a demijohn, and wondered what the heck the passage in the book was referring to....I was going to google it, but opened the trivia question first - imagine my surprise. Ya lern summit every day!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Agreed-roundish bottle with small neck. Chuck said they often have baskets around them which made me think of all those Italian restaurants in the 50s and 60s that had the chianti bottles on tables with candles stuck in the necks so the wax dripped down.

Never heard of carboy. Have to see if Chuck has!

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Car hop? Lol just got back. Some kind of bottle for beer or other spirit seems to be the theme maybe a flask
    :) Laura

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Maybe maybe a keg?

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I will hang my hat with Nancy. A carboy, a glass container. I know nothing about wine or wine making.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very good, my friends. Most of what I read about demijohns had to do with large glass containers with narrow necks, often encased in wicker. I don't know for sure if smaller similar bottles are still considered demijohns. In the past demijohns were used for the storage and transport of any number of different liquids. The wicker was to keep them from breaking during the shipment. A carboy is also a large glass bottle with a narrow neck holding several gallons of liquid, but without the wicker. They are still common in chemistry labs and with wine and beer makers.

There's a link below to a bottle collector who should know something about them. You can see lots of pictures.

for Nancy, Bobbie, Laura, and, I guess, Chuck. :)

Thank you for playing trivia with me.

TM

Here is a link that might be useful: Demijohns

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Fun! I guess the chianti bottles would be too small. Oh well. Good question, TM!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

When I looked at demijohns today I recognized them from my chemistry education days. Perhaps that is why demijohns sounded familiar though I do not remember them being called that and I am sure they were not called carboys. We most likely said container or bottle.

Thanks for the question, TM and to Nancy for knowing they were used in wine making.