Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia...Saturday

Good morning all. Sorry to be so late this morning. Nancy is probably already off to work. I slept late after the dogs woke me last night-raccoon at the bird feeder-so exciting! They just couldn't understand why I didn't share their enthusiasm to go chase him. By the time I got up, Chuck was on his second glass of juice and soda and had almost finished the paper. Oh well. I skipped the normal walking of the pooches to get to trivia-yippee.

So, it seems that more and more people are clipping coupons to try to save money when they shop. Even I have gone back to it and it is fun to see how much I can save if I am careful. Anyway, the coupon was born in 1886 by John Pemberton. He handed them out around Atlanta offering free samples of something he had just created. Even today, I only buy it when I have a coupon or it is on sale which it almost always is around here. Any ideas?

Cynthia

Comments (16)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Hmmmmmm, must give this one some thought. I think I knew this at one time, must do some shuffling around in the old memory bank LOL.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

I think I may know something that was created in Atlanta. Could this be something that was changed sometime in the 80s but was then changed back?

TM

12 years ago

The fog is lifting, thanks TM I think I know what it is now, that is after putting it together with Cyn's clue.

Annette

• frogview00
    12 years ago

ya, thanks TM. If it is the real thing.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I did not know about the coupon thing but knew Pemberton created this popular item. My tastes go to the other well known product and I can always tell the difference in taste tests. Here one or the other is on sale every week. Lately the price has increased dramatically, even on sale.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I debated whether or not to include Atlanta in the question or save it for later and obviously should have saved it. ;)

Was also going to add that Asa Chandler was a druggist who took over and direct-mailed coupons to customers who lived near certain establishments. Since you are all so doggone smart and I can never fool you (unless the answer I have is completely wrong like last week), shall we add that? Can you guess the type of establishment?

Bobbie, I also tend to prefer the other, but have pretty much stopped using either.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

lol!!! The Atlanta connection was a tip-off for me too. I once actually knew someone whose family had had shares since forever - a very large holding in the co. They misplaced millions of dollars of these shares one time - oh to have that kind of $$$$'s. Are we on the right track??

Nancy.

12 years ago

Establishment, hmmm, soda fountain in a drug store, just a guess. Gee I miss those I used to get the best ever gingerale at a cafe/soda fountain it had a real zip to it. No, gingerale is not my answer to the first question LOL.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Cyn, I quit all of these products for over a year. Slipped this spring and have been using again. Only small amount left in frig and did not buy more for either me or DH even though they were on sale today when I picked up dinner items.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I'll guess that the establishments were bars or taverns. My second guess would be movie theaters. Did they sell refreshments in theaters in those days?

TM

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

"I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony..." Everybody hold hands, sing it!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lorna, funny, I thought I had posted "You are all in perfect harmony", but guess I didn't hit submit-great minds...

**** So four stars for TM, Annette, frog, Nancy, 'gal, and Lorna with extra credit going to Annette with her guess of soda fountain!

In 1886, John Pemberton handed out drink cards around Atlanta for his new creation, Coca-Cola. When he sold the formula to Asa Chandler, a druggist, the promotional coupons really took off because Mr. Chandler direct-mailed them to customers who lived near soda fountains.

I remember riding my bike on Saturdays from Penn Valley into Narberth PA as a child to go to the soda fountain at Mapes-loved the vanilla Cokes there and always came home with either a comic book or Mad magazine. PA had blue laws when I was a kid, so nothing was open on Sunday. Good times.

Apparently, more than 330 BILLION coupons were distributed in the US last year, although fewer are being offered this year. Do you have as many in Canada, Annette and Nancy?

Thanks for playing everyone!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Hi All - I'm getting my trivia question ready, but had to try to find this:

"In Canada, Ontario and the eastern provinces have the most pronounced interest in coupon use, while Quebec residents are the least likely to clip a deal. Coupons save Canadians about $120-million each year, Mr. Meyers said. Recent studies south of the border have found a similar spike in coupon use.
    In the United States, more than 325 billion coupons are distributed each year, about 100 times the number sent out in Canada."

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Nancy!

I wish companies would just cut prices in place of issuing all those coupons!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I remember buying soda at the drug store in our small town. They had a limited selection of cola, cherry cola, and a non-cola. All fountain drinks seemed watered down to me and bottled pop was preferred. Going to the soda fountain was a social activity with girlfriends. By the time I was in high school and dating age the fountain was gone.

For a few years my grandpa owned a pool hall where I could get a Pepsi for free though my Mom didn't want us hanging out at the pool hall. Since we lived in the country and didn't go to town very often no real problem hanging out there.

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

Here in New Mexico we can buy Coke in the old-fashioned bottles made in Mexico with cane sugar. Most of the local stores sell it for 99 cents a bottle. It tastes better consumed straight from the bottle, same as beer does! :-)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area