Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia-Saturday

Had thought about doing a question on drought, but decided that would not really be much fun considering so many of us seem to be experiencing one at the moment. This morning, it felt a bit like it might rain. It will be a wonderful life and all's right with the world kind of day if it does, but I am now seeing sunshine returning. I am giving up on watering and am almost to the point where I feel as though I need to redo everything with xeriscape plants since even the natives are showing signs of imminent death. Aaarrgghh.

Anyway, one of my favorite shows of all time is "The Muppets" and two of the characters, Bert and Ernie, were well-loved by my son. Do you know after whom they were named?

Comments (17)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Hmmm, me thinks I'm skunked, haven't the faintest :(.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Morning Cyn - going to be another hot one here too. I keep hoping it will break. Weather says rain for the next 3 days, but it has fooled us before, this week.
    Wow, I think I know one, the other is dancing on the edge of my memory....hmmm. Off to work, to think some more!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I'm thinking they were friends of George's. One of them knew something about hacks and the other one specialized in collars.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette and Nancy, any bells ringing?

TM, your trivia angel is working overtime!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

K, now I'm really confused!!! lol. Angels, Overtime, Hacks, Collars!!!!????

Help! Nancy.

12 years ago

Afraid you've skunked me this time, the only Ernie I know is the little stuffed doll the breeder of our little Cairn terrier gave her to cuddle with when we brought her home. Heidi still sleeps with it 15 years later, mind you it's missing a few body parts :). I still have to sneak it away to wash it.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

OK, I was right - the clues through me off!!! Annette, if I am right, Bert is VERY brainy, and Ernie is a man's man. How'm I doing, Cyn? Not sure about TM's clue, to be honest!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, now you've stumped me, Nancy!

If you take a clue in my first post, then add it to TM's and my next one, you might get the movie where you would find these characters. Although probably considered minor, they had some very important scenes.

One more hint: Holiday movie. The granddaughter (or great-granddaughter?) of one of the actors in this film made her screen debut in "E.T." and one of the others had her own eponymous television show in the 1950s. So, once you get the movie, you need to remember the characters---or pay attention to TM. :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Well, ET means Drew Barrymore, so we're talking Lionel Barrymore? OK, went away to mop the floor, and it came to me - It's a Wonderful Life - the cop and ?? I knew this, why did I forget!!! Good one Cyn!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

The taxi driver!!! lol. Light dawns!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Four stars for TM and Nancy! ****

Yes, The muppets Bert and Ernie were named for the cop and the taxi driver from "It's a Wonderful Life" which continues to be a favorite every Christmas season. They provided some much needed comic relief. Bert was played by Ward Bond who was always a favorite from my childhood days of watching "Wagon Train" with my dad. The Muppet Show will always be a favorite as well-we have it on CD!

Happy Sunday to my three supporting characters! ;)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

And thank you for an 'entertaining' question!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I hate to be a wet blanket, especially on a wonderful question that I actually got stars for, but there's a good chance that the Muppet Bert and Ernie weren't named after the taxi driver and cop. I have read that people close to Jim Henson claim it didn't happen. It's more fun to think that it did.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh no! What a disappointment-I love that idea. Oh well. Sorry all. Annette, you get FIVE stars for NOT getting the right wrong answer! :)

• thinman
    12 years ago

I loved that idea too, Cynthia, and I was disappointed when I first read that it wasn't true. With Jim Henson being no longer with us, no one can know for sure, so I say let's stay with the more fun answer. No apologies are needed at all. It was a great question and answer. The old fussy teacher who still lives inside me forced me to mention the other part of the story.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TM, from another fussy old teacher who hates when she makes such an egregious error (that I should have checked before asking), I am glad that you corrected me! Really. Thanks!

Now, next week's question, I am sure of. It was in the paper...um, well, hmmmm, probably should verify-ha!

Cynthia

12 years ago

Stars, I got stars, maybe I should have the right wrong answer more often :).

Annette

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994