Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good morning, dear cottagers. It's an absolutely beautiful morning here, crisp and clear in the 50s. It may be a little too crisp for summer. DW and I like to run the ceiling fan at night, and by the morning I was almost ready to pull up an extra blanket. Annie jumped on the bed for a while and that helped a little. :)

Your trivia question for today, should you choose to accept it, is this: What is the oldest company in North America? If this turns out to be too easy, I have a follow up question, so don't feel as though you have to be cautious in answering.

TM

Comments (30)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thinking...for profit...?

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yep, for profit.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Morning All! Another cool clear morning here, but there are grey clouds on the horizon!
    So, a for-profit corporation that is still in operation, right? Well, thinking to the earliest settlements on the continent is not helping me!! lol. Thinking cap on, needing clues here!!

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    Beautiful day here too :) My gardens are full of blooming phlox and weeds. Looks pretty nice.
    I learned on the internet how to make my own laundry detergent a few months ago. Might one of the ingredients be made by this company?
    :) Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ooh, good idea, Laura. Not that I have a company in mind, but I like the thought.

I was leaning toward protection from calamities. Coming from Philadelphia, Ben Franklin springs to mind, but not for the business, more for his creation of the first fire department which may then have spawned this business. Need clues, TM.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

As usual I need clues. Seems like it would be something very basic, maybe food or shelter related.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll give more clues, but meanwhile, there is a modest clue in my first post.

And, you're looking for a retailer.

TM

This post was edited by thinman on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 13:16

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Hmm, my brother in law may work for this company. He travels all over the world as project manager building new facilities to provide a much needed commodity for the growth of countries.

I've finished lunch. Maybe I'll play a few games of Yahtzee and cribbage with DH before going out to work in the gardens. It is way too cool in the house. I need to go out in the sun to warm up.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Retailer, huh? Well, I can think of one off the bat, but I didn't think it was that old, so I am probably wrong. Its flagship store is a destination spot for vacation adventurers. The place I am thinking of has a connection to my question from yesterday, although it is a pathetically weak connection and probably not one any normal person would make-just the name actually.

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, I'm going fishing, and I won't be around for a while to give more hints, so here's a doozy: When the question says North America, it really means North America. Hope this helps.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Hmm, okay, so NOT L.L Bean. Really didn't think that was right anyway, but I was thinking your clue might have to do with being chilly and since they sell all those warm blankets, etc., I was going with it.

My first thought was some type of insurance company, but I guess I am off there, too.

Canadian? Nancy, what businesses were around way back when? Fur trading? Fishing? Gorton's Fish Sticks? ;)

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, and TM, good luck! My son left at 4am to go fishing down on the Chesapeake Bay today. He posted a picture of some of the fish they caught. I don't know what they are, but you probably do!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Ahhh, TM - might it be the Company of Adventurers?? I know they may have made your American news recently....

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Cyn - Gorton's is American -maybe Highliner ;-)) Just kidding. If I am correct, they just purchased a very large, very posh American retailer....and they do cozy blankets and fur!!

Nancy

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Hmmm, something to do with ice harvesting?
    :)Laura

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Looks like I was way off. No idea of a Canadian Company.

Weather is absolutely gorgeous! Perfect fall day.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, I think you're onto it.

Cynthia, those look like striped bass. We don't have those in these parts, but I did catch a 14 inch walleye. It would have been very tasty, but it was 1 inch too short to keep.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh Darn, TM. All than effort for catch and release. My mother loved to fish - did it with her Dad, and was quite disappointed that I was not interested!!

Cyn, you must think way back, to before most (perhaps all?) settlements on this continent. By decree, this company owned the most land at one time, all of the land that drained into this body of water!! (if I remember my history correctly, that is)

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Yep, striped bass they are. They brought them home and cooked them up. Sadly, he didn't think of donating to the old folks home! Heehee. Sorry yours didn't make the cut, TM. There is nothing yummier than fresh caught fish.

I have been going way back, but most of my knowledge these days has to do with Virginia or Pennsylvania history.

Nancy, I knew Gorton's was US, but couldn't come up with a Canadian company. ;)

So is this company makes blankets and such? Does Bean's sell them? I have a picture in my mind, but can't think of name. It is in there I know.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Think with the last couple of clues I may know it.

I have been working in the front yard gardens and had several visits with people walking by. Fun but does slow me down when I have a lot to do.
    Been visiting with my neighbor who is replacing windows in his house. They added a bay window which I would have liked but didn't work for us because of the deck on the front.

How is that after I have weeded and deadheaded the next time I pass that bed I see a giant weed? I think they are wearing camouflage!

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Thanks for the clues. I think I have it too.
    I have a bay window and it's needing some attention. It was needing attention when we bought the house. I need to sand and re glaze it with polyurethane. Ha! been saying that for yrs. I think this will be my late fall, early winter project. Right after we finish all the other projects going on.
    :) Laura.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right, "blanket" was the first clue. Heavy warm woolen blankets, just right for wrapping up in while sitting in front of a bay window, maybe even looking at a bay in the great chilly north.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Aha! As I came back to make my final post before bed, I was going to say that, unless it comes to me in a dream, I am stumped. Now, with the multiple 'bay' references, I am thinking of one way north of our beloved Chesapeake. I am no longer adrift in my little boat. I am amazed though. I ad no idea it was the same company all these years! Wow! Very cool, TM.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Ahhh, Cyn, Prince Rupert would be proud.

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The HBC was founded on May 2, 1670 when King Charles granted a charter to his cousin Prince Rupert and his associates. Among other businesses, they now own Lord and Taylor, and have just made a deal to buy Saks for 2.4 billion dollars. Not bad for an old fur-trading company!

Their most well-known products are the heavy woolen point blankets that are still made in England. The point blankets had different numbers of short dark blue stripes near the end of the blanket identifying the size of the blanket. This was done so that the size could be seen without taking the blanket off the shelf. Apparently, the story is false about the stripes denoting how many beaver pelts it would take to buy the blanket. Too bad. I always liked that story.

for Bobbie, Cynthia, Laura, and Nancy.

Hope you all have a good week.

TM

This post was edited by thinman on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 11:55

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Great question TM. I actually have 2 point blankets, and boy, they are toasty!! I thought that story about the beaver pelts was true too! Bummer. Oh well. It is, and I guess always was, an international company, but I have memories of shopping very proudly at the 'The Bay' as a young adult. It would be like an upscale JC Penney, to give you an idea. I did always like Eaton's better though!!

Thanks for the fun, TM.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing the info about the HBC. Have never been in one of their stores or seen one of their blankets. I got the answer because I knew that HBC was an early fur company from my history lessons.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars. Once again, I don't really deserve them, but was riding on your, Nancy's, and Laura's coattails, TM. I did read about the sale of Saks, but didn't connect it. Duh.

I know we had at least one of those blankets at home when I was a kid. I think of them and our old Scotch cooler fondly.

Thanks for the fun. Thinking of absent friends and wishing us all a marvelous week.

Cynthia

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Oh poop!
    I don't deserve the stars. :( My mind was stuck on glacier bay. I don't even know if that's a company. I think I was making things up again. lol
    I will take one star for "bay".
    Thanks for the star and the fun!
    :)Laura

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Oops, ignore this. Some how I double posted.
    :) Laura

This post was edited by auntyara on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 12:31