Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Well, good morning all!! Up early and almost forgot to post!! We're having a yard sale today - very exciting - trying to get rid of some accumulated crap. Hope the rain holds off!!
Well, we're going to have fun with words again. Let's see if you know, or have a guess for any of these:

Our English language is such a funny old thing, isn't it?
Here are a few more oddballs for you to ponder:

1. Acersecomic
a/ one who worships maple trees
b/ A person whose hair has never been cut
c/ an aesthetician

2. Biblioclasm
a/ The practice of destroying, often ceremoniously, books or other written material and media.
b/ really enjoying literature
c/ book iconcalst
3. Cacodemonomania
a/ fear of red monsters with large spherical bodies crowned with horns, that float slowly through the air.
b/ a loud hissing sound
c/ The pathological belief that one is inhabited by an evil spirit.

4. Enantiodromia
a/ fear of ants
b/ the changing of something into its opposite.
c/ similarity

5. Hamartia
a/ The character flaw or error of a tragic hero that leads to his downfall.
b/ blood fear
c/ a school of thought

As always, I will be back with clues - see you all soon.

Nancy.

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 10:36

Comments (18)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

How much fun is this?! Naturally, I am not conversant in any of these, so will be waiting for clues and smarter folks to weigh in.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Well I think I know at least one of them #2. Be back later looking for clues.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

The choices are amusing. Waiting for clues as don't know any of the answers. Am trying to puzzle them out with the little Latin I have in my head.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, Annette, do you know #2? Well then. #3 is scary to me!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, so far the rain has held off! yea. The sun is struggling to come out, but it is so humid. I hate having my hair on my neck when it is like this - I really need a haircut! We have made about $20 so far - maybe I'll be able to afford one with the profits - lol.

Nancy.

9 years ago

Now I think I know #1 :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Talk about funny weather!! First it looked like rain, then it got humid, then a cold wind blew through and now it is a perfectly sunny summer's day. Talk about a turn-around.

Nancy.

9 years ago

.... and now maybe #4 :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Okay, with the clues I think I have 1, 2, 3 & confirmed my thoughts on 4.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Hope your nice weather continues so you have a good sale, Nancy. It is hot and humid here. Supposed to be 85F today and 95F tomorrow. Clouds kept the temp to 79F yesterday and I worked in the garden deadheading and pulling weeds. Today I am running errands then will watch an old Ray Bradbury movie. Nowadays I find I can work hard one day then need a day to recover.

We have had only a few days of hot humid weather this year. When my hair is long I tie it back or put it up. It's that in between stage, too short to tie back but long enough to cover my neck. Perhaps I will stop at the beauty shop while I am out.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, we have closed shop for the day. We'll do it again tomorrow, but it will be difficult for me as I work afterwards, and like to sleep in the mornings before working till 11 pm. I'm not a spring chicken anymore!! Ah well. Yes, that is the in between stage my hair is at - either cut it or let it grow!! I'll probably cut it again, then let it grow over the winter....or not. I can never make up me mind, then one night I'll get angry with it and take the scissors to it myself. The results vary - it is my Achilles heel.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Well now, with your clues, I have guesses for all of them! :)

It has been raining here all afternoon which is great except that the idiots just had their baths and grooming on Thursday. Rain always seems to come as soon as I finally have them clean. Oh well. Annabel has one more month on leash before she is allowed the freedom of the yard. I was hoping she would get the all-clear today. I am tired of walking her at this point.

Cynthia

9 years ago

I just finished putting an apple/cranberry mix through the jelly bag, will make the jelly tomorrow morning. I didn't throw the pulp out but put it through a sieve to get rid of the skins and seeds, added some sugar and got 12 containers of cranapple sauce for the freezer.

Here are my answers
    #1...B
    #2...A
    #3...C
    #4...B
    #5...A

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

1. B
    2. A
    4. B
    5. A

Need to reread for clues to 3. I noticed one, but need something more.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I kind of missed the trivia party today -- another funeral! This one was the mother of a friend and a four hour drive away so that pretty much took up the day. We were essentially there as support for our friend.

The only word I had an inkling about was enantiodromia, which is close enough to the chemistry term enantiomer to give me a good idea about it.

It looks like you all had fun with the words.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

You are a good friend, TM, to go so far to support your friend.

With the good clues think I have them all.
    1 b
    2 a
    3 c
    4 b
    5 a

Good for you, Annette. It's been years since I have made jelly. Thought I would make strawberry jam for gifts this year but that didn't happen. Maybe next year.

Looking through the movie list I saw The Exorcist and remember how shocked people were when it was released. Scary movies were my thing.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, you are all very good with words, indeed!!

1. Acersecomic -b. A person whose hair has never been cut
    2. Biblioclasm - a The practice of destroying, often ceremoniously, books or other written material and media.
    3. Cacodemonomania - c The pathological belief that one is inhabited by an evil spirit.
    4. Enantiodromia - b the changing of something into its opposite.
    5. Hamartia - a The character flaw or error of a tragic hero that leads to his downfall

So, so Annette and Bobbie:

For Cynthia:

And for TM, with a late entry (and I'd love to hear an example):

Thanks for playing - see you all next week!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unusual Words

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the fun and stars, Nancy. Now if I can just remember these new words. Maybe I can work hamartia into our book discussion tomorrow.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County