Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers!! It is a grey morning here, and more rain is promised. Yes!! We have had significant rain - yea!!!!! Pita, the kitten is flying around the room, enjoying the livable temperatures.

Well, their first professional appearance was at San Francisco's Purple Onion in 1959. In the late '60s, they had a TV variety show. Hmmmm, is this too easy??

Nancy.

Comments (14)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mmmmm, me thinks I need clues on this one, nothing is showing up in my crystal ball.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since then, the duo has performed around the country, garnering awards for their work. The Museum of Television and Radio produced a retrospective of their work, and the Boston Comedy Festival honored them with a Lifetime Achievement Award. One was awarded a Commemorative Writing Emmy for his work on their television show. Any help?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Off to play with my yoyo. Loved their show if I am right.

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure I know this one --- bass player and guitarist. The guitarist was a hoot.

TM

11 years ago

Got it :) Loved those guys.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I was afraid this was too easy!! lol. Should I try to come up with another question??

Nancy = who could never rock the cradle!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

We saw them a few years ago at Wolftrap here in VA. Still funny.

Oh, and I am totally inept with a yoyo, but I do love Yoyo Man.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

These brothers were my first thought. I loved their show and have enjoyed seeing recent documentaries on its production.

The yoyo clue isn't doing anything for me. Was that a skit?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tommy is a whiz at the Yo-yo, and often did featured bits of yo-yo mastery, billed as Yo-yo Man. Always loved that.
    Oh heck, everyone knows - I'll do the reveal now!!
    {{gwi:609636}}
    The Smothers Brothers are Thomas ("Tom" - born February 2, 1937) and Richard ("Dick" - born November 20, 1939), American singers, musicians, comedians and folk heroes. The brothers' trademark act was performing folk songs (Tommy on acoustic guitar, Dick on string bass), which usually led to arguments between the siblings. Tommy's signature line was, "Mom always liked you best!" Tommy (the elder of the two) acted "slow", and Dick, the straight man, acted "superior".
    The brothers were both born on Governors Island in New York Harbor, where their father, Thomas B. Smothers, Jr., a West Point graduate and U.S. Army officer, was stationed. Tom was born on February 2, 1937, and Dick was born on November 20, 1939. Major Smothers served in the 45th Infantry Regiment (United States) and died during World War II, while being transported from a Japanese prisoner of war camp in Fukuoka, Japan, to a POW camp in Mukden, Manchukuo. They were raised by their mother in the Los Angeles area.
    The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour started out as only a slightly "hip" version of the typical comedy-variety show of its era, but rapidly evolved into a show that extended the boundaries of what was considered permissible in television satire. While the Smothers themselves were at the forefront of these efforts, credit also goes to the roster of writers and regular performers they brought to the show, including Steve Martin, Don Novello ("Father Guido Sarducci"), Rob Reiner, Presidential candidate Pat Paulsen, Bob Einstein ("Super Dave Osborne", "Marty Funkhouser", and "Officer Judy"), Einstein's brother, Albert (who works professionally as Albert Brooks), and resident hippie Leigh French ("Share a Little Tea with Goldie"). The show also introduced audiences to pop singer Jennifer Warnes (originally billed as Jennifer Warren or simply Jennifer), who was a regular on the series. The television premiere of Mason Williams' hit record, Classical Gas, took place on the show; Williams was also the head writer for the series.
    The series showcased new musical artists that other comedy-variety shows rarely gave airtime, due to the nature of their music or their political affiliations.[citation needed] George Harrison, Joan Baez, Buffalo Springfield, Cass Elliot, Harry Belafonte, Cream, Donovan, The Doors, Janis Ian, Jefferson Airplane, Peter, Paul and Mary, Spanky and Our Gang, Steppenwolf, The Who, Simon and Garfunkel, and even Pete Seeger were showcased during the latter years of the show despite the advertiser-sensitive nature of their music.
    Seeger's appearance was his first appearance on network television since being blacklisted in the 1950s; it became controversial because of his song choice: Waist Deep in the Big Muddy, an anti-war song that the network perceived was an insult to Lyndon Johnson and his Vietnam War policy. The song was censored on Seeger's first appearance but permitted on a later appearance.
    With the focus of the show having evolved towards a more youth-oriented one, the show became both popular and controversial for those same references to youth culture and the issues that both interested and affected this particular target audience. Three specific targets of satire " racism, the President of the United States, and the Vietnam War " would wind up defining the show's content for the remainder of its run, and eventually lead to its demise.
    Whereas most older audiences were tuning into shows like the western Bonanza, the younger generation ages 15 to 25 were watching the Smothers' more socially relevant humor.
    The Brothers soon found themselves in regular conflicts with CBS' network censors. At the start of the 1968/69 season, the network ordered that the Smothers deliver their shows finished and ready to air ten days before airdate so that the censors could edit the shows as necessary. In the season premiere, CBS deleted the entire segment of Belafonte singing "Lord, Don't Stop the Carnival" against a backdrop of the havoc during the 1968 Democratic National Convention, along with two lines from a satire of their main competitor, Bonanza. As the year progressed, battles over content continued, including a David Steinberg sermon about Moses and the Burning Bush.

I still love David Steinberg's humour, I had forgotten he was on this show!! The only 'fan' letter I have ever written in my life went to the Smothers Brothers!! And they answered me - I wonder if I still have that letter? I've included a link below for Yo-yo Man, again, had forgotten there was a song!!

Thanks to all for playing - I'll have to come up with a harder question next week!! Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yo-yo Man

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Gosh, I love them! Thanks for the link to yo-yo man. I forgot the hyphen earlier-knew it didn't look right!

Have a wonderful week. I am hoping to get everything that is still in pots in the ground. Hope it isn't quite as hot as last week!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link, obviously I did not remember the yo-yo man. Did they do that in the 60s show or was it new to the 80s? I remember a yo-yo craze in the 80s when my son was small. We each got a yo yo but neither of us were ever any good.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Yo-yo Man was not in the 60s that I remember, but then, there is lots I don't remember! I feel talented if I can just get the darn thing to come back up once!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yo-yo Man was from the 60's show. I actually have no memory of the 80's show!! FYI, the yo-yo was invented in the 20's - didn't know it was that old, I thought it was the 50's!!

Nancy.

11 years ago

Heck in my neck of the woods we had yo-yo competitions, 1947 comes to mind. One of my girlfriends was really good, she could do all the tricks, round the world, walk the dog, rock the baby in the cradle and more. Me I sucked at it, I could walk the dog but that was about it.

Annette