Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Good Saturday Morning Cottagers!! It is a brilliant sunny day here - not sure how I am going to waste it yet. But the garden is a sure bet.

Tomorrow night is of interest, in the night-time sky. While we have started Perseid Meteor Showers, they have competition with the moon. She is the largest we see with the naked eye, but don't get too excited - it's only a difference of about 8%. During the Apollo program, the terms pericynthion and apocynthion were used when referring to the Moon. Perhaps an easy question, but what do these terms mean, and what is the root of their creation?

Stargazing is a great cottage past-time. Do you know what we are looking, Cottagers? I will be back with clues, if you need them!!

Nancy.

Comments (22)

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I am not familiar with those two words and await your clues. Saw the super moon last night, quite lovely.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Why, Nancy! You know I have to know this!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I thought you might, but took the chance anyway!! ;-)

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I alwats liked the origin of my name!

Heading out to weed. Every time I think I am close to having a couple of beds cleaned up, I find new weeds popping up. Sheesh. The phrase so near and yet so far comes to mind. Hopeless.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh and btw, I was not complaining at all. Love knowing something right off for a change! :)

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

Well, I know perigee, apogee, perihelion, and aphelion, but I can't decipher the cynth part of the words in question today. I'm guessing it must refer to the moon. Maybe from Greek or Latin or?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia, do you grow artemisia in your garden? I always loved that soft grey glow of the foliage, though most of the cultivars I have grown have been far from perfect. Funny how that is.

I was looking at my photos of my trip to Greece this week. My favourite spot was the island of Delos. It was major centre in pre-Hellenic society. Very wonderful to see all the restored ruins there.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I have some artemisia in a pot on the deck and plan to move it to the ground this fall. I am planning a try it in the h--- strip between to sidewalk and street. Just pulled out everything that was there (one tiny area that I plan to expand as I am successful-very dry there and hard to water). I plan to put in some liriope, hosta, etc. in the more shady areas and other flowering stuff (lavender, artemisia, lantana, ...) where it gets more sun. We'll see.

I am not ignoring your clue, though. Good one. Most people do not know the meaning of my name!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TM, definitely a Greek or pre-Greek origin. It is an epithet, or by-name with one we are more accustomed to hearing.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Don't know the origins but from clues I am thinking they have to do with orbiting the moon and one is point closest to moon and one farthest out.
    Guess pericynthion is closest since it was listed first and apocynthion is point farthest since it was listed second.

Need more clues for the origin, got that it is Greek. Thought cyn might refer to five?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Peri- is always close - think perinatal, perimortem, etc. Apo- I have less in my mind, but think apogee.

Not 5 Bobbie. It is an nickname, an aka for a goddess. Think of Greek mythology and the Apollo Mission. Hmmm....

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Greek moon goddess Artemis, see where the artemisia clue fits but not Cynthia. Maybe Cynthia is another name for the goddess of the moon.
    Peri--close to cynth--moon.

Pericynthion point closest to the moon of lunar orbit

apocynthion point farthest from moon of lunar orbit

Cynthia, another name for the Greek goddess of the moon, Atremis

Tonight's news said it was almost a full moon and won't be a super moon until tomorrow afternoon so I saw an almost super moon last night. Too cloudy to see the moon tonight.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 4:05

• thinman
    9 years ago

I agree with Bobbie about the meanings of the two words, but I can't claim to have any insights on their origin. I didn't know about Artemis being the moon goddess, so that clue was lost on me.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bobbie was right. She so often is. :-)

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Agreed. Cynthia is another name for the goddess of the moon. Using what know from other words and Latin, pericynthion would be when Apollo crafts were closest to the moon and apocynthion (as in apogee) would be farthest point.

Cynthia ;)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, finally got back on the computer, had a busy day yesterday, I'm still in the dark on this one was thinking something like moon goddess but that's as far as I got......I've been out digging.........
    Just imagine what I'm working with, a solid mass on lily-of-the-valley, euphorbia, columbine and ajuga roots intertwined with buttercup, embedded in that d..n landscape cloth someone told me I should put down when I first made this bed.... and, oh I forgot to mention all the surface roots from the yellow cedar in the back corner.
    Like the name of the show "Hell on Wheels" seems to fit the description of this little jobie. Now that I've started I've got to keep at it till it's finished so if I'm not around, that's what I'm up to :(.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:609781}}
    During the Apollo program, the terms pericynthion and apocynthion (referencing Cynthia, an alternative name for the Greek Moon goddess Artemis) were used when referring to the Moon. Cynthia is a feminine given name of Greek origin, Kynthía, "from Mount Cynthus" on Delos island. Cynthia was originally an epithet of the Greek goddess of the moon, Artemis, who according to legend, was born on Mount Cynthus, as was her brother Apollo. Selene, the Greek personification of the Moon, and the Roman Diana (by way of their identification with Artemis) were also sometimes called "Cynthia". The island of Delos , near Mykonos, near the centre of the Cyclades archipelago, is one of the most important mythological, historical and archaeological sites in Greece. From its Sacred Harbour, the horizon shows the two conical mounds that have identified landscapes sacred to a goddess in other sites: one, retaining its pre-Greek name Mount Kynthos, is crowned with a sanctuary of Zeus.
    {{gwi:609782}}
    Mount Cynthus.

Hopefully the skies clear for tonight's Super Moon. It was pretty cool last night.

Bobbie- you caught ALL of the clues - good for you!! And TM for knowing when to hitch a ride:

Cynthia - good for you knowing about the meaning of your name - so many people donot!!

For Annette, you got the moon goddess connection:

Thanks to all for playing. I was going to do a trivia question about the Super Moon, and I guess I sorta did!! lol. Those terms just jumped out and me. Thanks for playing, see you all next seek.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Delos

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Well, "my" mountain is a rather small, unexceptional one, isn't it?

Thanks for the stars. Maybe I should do a name derivation matching question next time. That could be fun. No fair researching yet! ;)

Annette, ugh! So sorry about your tangle of roots. I bought a huge roll of that fabric years ago. Then, I read more about it. I think I finally tossed it or donated it-not sure which-maybe I sold it at a yard sale...

Cynthia, but you may call me goddess

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the question and all the clues which gave me the answers though you had to lead me to the last part. I enjoy the challenge of finding the clues and figuring out the answers.

Don't know the origin of Bobbie but my given name means nobel, kind Looked that up years ago.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I remember reading that Nancy was a nice lady who drove a station wagon- lol.

Nancy, which is a diminutive of Ann, as is Annette.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Thanks, Nancy, for the stars, however undeserved they may be. :-)

I knew

Perigee -- moon or other satellite's closest point to Earth
    Perihelion -- Earth's closest point to the Sun

And now I know

Pericynthion -- orbiting body's closest point to the moon.

I wonder if there are names for the closest point of orbiting bodies of the other planets. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the fun.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And I would like to k now what you find!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Nancy, apparently there actually are a lot of different names, depending upon the body being orbited. Not all of them are used, or even agreed upon, and perigee and apogee seem to be the default terms that are often used, even when they may not be exactly correct.

TM

Here is a link that might be useful: Apsis

Sponsored