Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning mes amis! Sorry to be so late this morning-out of the habit since being away. I remembered yesterday, but this morning I headed straight outside to start the hoses, water the potted things I haven't planted yet and then I sat down with the paper. Thank you so much for stepping in and covering Saturdays for me while I was gone!

Since the Olympics are in full swing, I have been watching way too much tv. Today's question is about sports and I apologize to Nancy and Annette because it is somewhat US centered. Still, I think you will probably get it.

The Olympic sport I am looking for has been popular since the early 19th century. The first intercollegiate competition was held in England between Oxford and Cambridge, but the first ever intercollegiate sports competition in the US took place in this sport in 1852. Yale and Harvard were the competing schools. Can you identify the sport? BTW, the competition was held in New Hampshire.

Cynthia, who is on a liquid diet for the coming week at least due to surgery on gums and is definitely not happy about it!

Comments (17)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

By Jove, I just might know this one, thoughts of silver are floating through my crystal ball, that is if I'm on the right track :).

Cyn, I feel for you, not fun big hugs.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Having grown up outside Philadelphia, I used to love seeing all the clubs for this sport as we drove in town on West River Drive. It was and is a very popular sport there.

Annette, floating indeed.

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

Ouch. I don't like thinking about gum surgery, or, for that matter, any surgery at all. Speedy healing to you, Cynthia.

Triva-wise, I see that floating must be a key word. Real floating? As in water? As usual, I don't actually know the answer, but I may eventually stumble onto it with the help of generous hints.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TM, are you a fan of art? Thomas Eakins of Philadelphia loved this sport and painted many pictures of participants. Several, I think are at Yale.

The clubhouses are lit at night-a must see for visitors to the city. There are several configurations for participation. I imagine a single person would find this a lovely quiet, calming way to begin or end a day away from the hustle and bustle of day-to-day life.

As far as the mouth goes, I went through this a couple of years ago. Very frustrating because how can we really know if it is necessary or just a way to make some extra $ for the dentist. Ah well. Mine uses a laser which is pretty cool. I have such lousy teeth that if this will help me keep them forever, it is worth a try.

Cynthia

11 years ago

Lordy, lordy, lordy, it's approaching 90 here, NOT my kind of temps, it looks like it's going to be a dvd and several cold drinks afternoon for me.
    What to watch... I'm in the mood for some skull and crossbones, Frenchman's Creek starring Joan Fontaine and Auturo de Cordova is one of my favorites, haven't watched that for awhile. TM there is a wee clue here if you look hard, that's if I've got it right LOL.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After the movie, Annette and I will start everyone singing
    A favorite round from childhood...if you need more clues
    I will start in my next post. Time to paddle on downstairs
    to do laundry.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hi All!! Just home and whew!!! It is hot out there - way too close to 100F for my liking!! Now silver, Annette, that gives me a clue. I believe that was ours to the US gold?? Even though I am not watching the games, some of the results do float through!! I have friends who own an antique one, though it is currently warehoused!! They offered me a chance to buy in when they got it, but I'm not much of a team player!!

Cyn, omg - I feel for you - maybe a little G&T in your liquid diet will help with all that ails??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oooh, I'll bet the antique one is a beauty, but much heavier than the modern ones I would guess.
    i think it is the perfect activity for Chuck now that he can't run any more. He would love the solitude and it is certainly a good workout for arms and legs! Maybe we could get one for the two of us...doubtful it would appeal to him then! ;)

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

From the clues I am wondering if this is the sport that GB won their first gold medal in this Olympics?

We knew a gal who participated on a team for this sport. I think she practiced on the Mississippi River.

• thinman
    11 years ago

I've been gone all afternoon running errands with DW including dinner, and I see that in my absence a whole raft of clues have been laid out leading me right to the answer! Thank you all. You are a super crew.

TM

• thinman
    11 years ago

Final answer from me: rowing, sculling, or crew. I think it goes by those names. Back in the day when we had a sailboat, I built a small 8 foot dinghy that would row along like a scalded cat. Lots of fun to just zip around in.

TM

11 years ago

I'm with you TM :). The Canadian team (men) that just won silver is from Vancouver Island. They train on a lake right next door to a favorite garden center I visit every time I'm down island.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okay, I'll start...row, row row your boat...

Yes, **** for all of you.

The first ever intercollegiate sports competition was a rowing regatta held on Lake Winnepasaukee in New Hampshire between Yale and Harvard, so as you all knew, rowing is the Olympic sport. Of course, the Henley regatta in England is more famous and older. In PhilaPa, we hold many races on the Schuylkill River. The 'Dad' Vail regatta is the largest intercollegiate regatta in the US and quite fun to attend. One year, before the Clean Water Act, one team threw their coxswain in the river to celebrate and he came down with (if I am remembering correctly) typhoid. The river is much cleaner now! Boat House Row is a sight to see at night when the outlines of all the different boat clubs are lit in white lights. I miss Philadelphia.

Thanks for playing everyone. Off to check out today's question from Nancy. Have a marvelous week.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful:

• thinman
    11 years ago

Now me: Row, row, row your boat ...

Thanks to all the clues, I managed to squeak out the answer to this one. Good question, and timely too. Thank you, Cynthia.

TM

11 years ago

Gently down the stream....

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Merrily, merrily, merrily...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Life is but a dream.

Maybe we could take our act on the road;)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!