Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Good Morning Cottagers! A little greyer that I would like, this morning, and it looks like the rain we were supposed to have yesterday is due today. I hope not, as I have errands to run, laundry to go on the line and a birthday to attend!!

So, let's do some California Dreamin', shall we!! Today, we are going on a musical journey, one which I hope gets your toes tapping and an your inner idol singing happily away.

The album, Surfin' USA is notable for giving The Beach Boys their first widespread success with its title track, and for Brian Wilson's increasing prowess in songwriting, as well as vocal arrangement. The fuller-sounding vocals were achieved using double tracking, creating The Beach Boys' own unique sound. Another singer/song writer, however, thought Surfin' USA sounded pretty familiar. He sued, and received full credit for the song, plus all of the royalties. So, ladies and gentlemen, who was that songwriter, and what was his original song??

Nancy.

Comments (19)

• thinman
    12 years ago

I think I know this one. It was a sweet song.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Aha, I actually know this one.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Hmmm, think I know this and TM's clue helps with the song title. Will check back for clues to be sure I am right!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Curse you!!! It was too easy!! I had never heard of this before, and still can't 'hear' it, even though the radio host played bits to demonstrate.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I don't know this one, even with TM's clue.

• thinman
    12 years ago

One of Buck Cherry's higgest bits!

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Neighbors are taking us to dinner at a little local restauant to thank Chuck for helping with their yard today (tree from woods came down in the storm and took out several smaller trees and lots of plants). It is a place that really has no vegetables on the menu, but a surfeit of fried stuff! If we are lucky, maybe they'll at least have some fresh fruit-berries maybe?- on the menu tonight.

Cynthia

12 years ago

I've been busy the last couple of days, dismantling a piece of dry stone wall so I could put a flagstone step in, these old bones aren't as limber as they used to be. I can still swing a maddock but oh boy to be 16 again. Good one TM :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any of this helping you, mnswgal?? There are some good clues in there!!!

Nancy - who says you will all need a 'miracle' next Sunday!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Nary a Berry in sight at dinner. Alas.
    I had a salad with grilled chicken on it. Chuck (!) had to finish it.

Time to get ready for bed. It's a school night. Ugh. Did I mention that before? ;)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Ha, ha. All the hints are spelling it out for me. Since everybody else knows I will say the clues point to Chuck Berry. Thanks all.

My body is aching with you, Annette. Moving stones is hard work but I'd be happy to do it if I could find some stones. Saw a big rock under the fir tree when I was trimming dead wood. I'll try to move it but it looks like it will be difficult as there isn't much space to maneuver.

The weather has been wonderful here this past week so I have been busy moving, dividing and culling plants in the gardens. Also making a new bed along the street curb for spring bulbs and creeping thyme. Had to move the creeping thyme from the driveway edge as am having a new driveway put in this week. Still have a few other plants to move which have creeped into the area but I left space when I planted the long bed as knew this was coming.

I was moving pretty slow this morning. Had flashes of my grandma come to mind. I know I'm getting old but I'm not Grandma old...yet.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. Are you past a certain sweet bd like the rest of us - hint, hint!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Something Sweet 16? Way past that!

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I didn't know what it was (except for the clues). I don't recall hearing about a lawsuit, though I lived in California in those days. I gather the song in question was "Sweet Little Sixteen". I love the old surfing instrumentals, like "Apache", "Pipeline", "Wipeout".

12 years ago

Me too Lorna, but by The Ventures for me :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I watched Berry singing "Sweet Little Sixteen" on You-Tube and I can hear Surfin USA.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahhh well, no fooling you guys with this one. lol, Cyn, I wish you well at school, but you are probably long gone!!

"Surfin' USA", credited as composed by Brian Wilson, was a note-for-note cover of Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen". A mid-70's lawsuit officially granted Berry writing credit and royalties from the record. Additionally, the lyrics seem inspired by the Bobby Rydell 1959 hit "Kissin' Time" (mentions various cities across the USA), which melodically also borrows liberally from Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen. Cameo-Parkway's Bernie Lowe and Kal Mann gave no songwriting credit to Chuck Berry, and luckily escaped from a lawsuit.

So there you - Chuck's a talented, and rich guy.

for ThinMan, Annette and Cyn.
    to Lorna and mnswgal for playing along!!

Have a great week, and see you on the weekend!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I liked this question a lot. The Beach Boys hit the scene just in time for my teen years and I was always a big fan. I loved their car songs and surf songs. Although I barely knew what a surf board was, it looked like a good time to me.

Sweet Little Sixteen is a nice easy song to play on the guitar and I still like to belt it out every once in a while as best I can. :)

Thanks for the fun, Nancy.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Another Beach Boy fan here, too! That was fun!

Cynthia

Sponsored