Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, it is a lovely Sunday morning, here, Cottagers!! Sunny, but not hot!! I'm going over to my allotment later, and am really looking forward to that, for a change!! I can water, without sweating onto everything!!

Well, we've talked about portmanteaus before, yes? A word made of two words. So, we're looking for one today. It tickles my funny-bone, and I'm not sure how easy or hard this will be....a certain government is trying to wipe out the source of the guffaws. Hmmmm, to start is how??

Nancy.

Comments (24)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Uh oh. Need clues(more clues?). Have feeling this will be fun.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, it should be fun!! I read a great article in the paper a couple of weeks ago about one city in particular, and their struggle to eradicate this 'beast'!! It was further underlined to me when my new DVD arrived. I think I have told you all I cut the cord on cable, and am very pleased that I did. The quality of the content of my viewing has gone up immeasurably. I have Netflix now, as well as a free on-line site, and last week finally received that DVD. Bobbie, I think, likes the space genre. Did any of you see the series 'Firefly', when it aired in 2002, but not up here!! Boo, hiss. Really enjoyed it, anyway!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

My crystal ball doesn't seem to be working this morning:(.

Be back later looking for clues.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, Annette, south of you may suffer from this!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Does it have to do with inane tv watching? Trying to come up with a beast, but nothing yet.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thinking, thinking.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm...not sure how clearly this will come out...
    {{gwi:609867}}
    This is the back of my new DVD box.

Any help?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...picture is clear, but nothing else is for me. Cloudy outside today and apparently the same inside-ha.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Read it.

11 years ago

hl?????

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hl?? Not sure what you mean...

Nancy.

11 years ago

Homeland, still clutching at straws :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ouch...my brain hurts. I read it again. Nothing is jumping out at me. :(

I really dislike being stupid.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Does it have something to do worth double?

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

That was supposed to be with double. Got rushed to go on our evening walk and didn't get to proofread. I know our gov. departments have been told to make their missives more readable. Am I going in the wrong direction?

Did not see Firefly as we only had antenna reception then. I am now watching the original Stargate series. Richard Dean Anderson is from MN so had read about him and his shows. Still haven't seen but a couple of McGiver episodes.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Not getting anything yet, and the brain is about to switch off for the day.

Later.
    TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I remember McGiver - I loved that show, and so did my Dad. McGiver had actually entered our vocabulary as a verb, as in to McGiver something. I always think of RDA as Canadian, cause the series was filmed in Vancouver - ever notice how all of the worlds are kind of lush green old growth foresty?? Kind of fun - make sure to take the time to see it, also Firefly. Premise of the show it that the world ends used up, in their parlance, and the only superpowers are the US and China. They move out into the galaxy and terraform new worlds. Very cool.

Would it help if I told you that the main city targeted for the fix was Shanghai??

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

No stars for me. I concede defeat.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I must join Bobbie and concede. However, I cannot wait to read the answer! All I know about Shanghai is that they are building like crazy, aren't they? I think it has an amazing skyline. Will be checking for the answer later. Looks like you beat us all, Nancy! :-)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh darn it - no stars this week?? Well, It was one of those that could be too easy, or too hard!! I read this as I said in the paper the other week, and thought it was quite interesting. For the last two years, the Shanghai Commission for the Management of Language Use has been trying to clean up English-language signs and menus to rid them of their malapropisms. There's a great word, maybe I should have gone for that!! Anyway, Chinglish is what I was looking for, not very well, apparently. Or Engrish - either would do!!
    {{gwi:609868}}
    Some of it is painful, unintelligible and very funny to read. It also can be translated to mean the opposite of the original. It's also a Broadway play - maybe that would have been a good clue...sorry.

Anyways, thanks for playing. As always, I will try to come up with better clues next week!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Engrish signs

• thinman
    11 years ago

Nope, I would have never got that. Haven't heard of it, in fact. I might have got Spanglish, given enough clues. Now I see what you were going for with your DVD cover. I wondered why that text was so mangled.

Good one, Nancy.
    Thanks for the trivial fun.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ever so trivial, TM!! Yes, this is how you know you've bought a Chinese knockoff!! lol.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

well, I noticed that, too, but didn't connect it to the question. very good, Nancy. Those signs are always funny. I was right-lots of fun!

cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Chinglish, how interesting, I didn't know there was a word for that. We often found the instructions on imported products frustratingly difficult to understand. Lately instructions are via photos or illustrations with no words. Still frustrating when a well placed, and chosen, word or two would be helpful.

Your CD was a good example. My mind just wasn't making the connection.
    Thanks for the mind stretching.

Sponsored