Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Good Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! My internal clock is so confused!! I have been up early a few mornings this week, even though I work late. Argghh. Enough with the whining - on to trivia!!

{{gwi:609885}}

Dogs, dogs, dogs - this is the chorus I awoke to today. I was trying to sleep a little but they started early, then I fell back asleep. Oh well - I like dogs, I just prefer cats. But I am in the company of dog lovers, so here is a test of your knowledge. According to the American Kennel Club, Wikipedia, and that reliable source - Dog Training Central, decode the following:

1. Most popular breed of dog in the US.
2. Most popular breed of dog in Europe.
3. The most expensive dog breed.

I'll be back with clues for you blood hounds!!

Nancy.

Comments (19)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Without giving this much thought, I'd say top dog in the US
    is either a Lab or a German Shepard. German Shepard is my fav but DS#2 has two Labs, one golden, one chocolate so I'll say Lab for #1.

Now onto #2 and #3, I need a few clues for this one.

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

I woke up to a dog barking this morning too, Nancy, though it was my own. DW let her back in and it was back to sleep for me, at least for a short while. Then the dog jumped on the bed and wouldn't leave me alone until I got up.

{{gwi:609887}}

Annette and I are thinking a lot alike on this question. I'm leaning toward labs for number one too, though i see a lot of golden retrievers in my neck of the woods.

I'll be needing help for numbers two and three.
    (Edited to correct silly error)

TM

This post was edited by thinman on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 18:20

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a sweet girl you have!! It might interest you to know that the European favourite is at the other end of the scale, size-wise, and completely amazed me. The most expensive is also not as exotic as we might think.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I completely agree on the Lab being #1 here and I was going to say it is also very popular in Europe, but guess I won't now that I read your last post, Nancy. ;)

I have a couple of thoughts on most expensive, but no reasons really for any of those thoughts! I will wait for clues.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is funny how favourites have changed over the the years. Between 1905 and 1935, the Boston Terrier was consistently in either first or second place. In 1925, following the popularity of Rin Tin Tin, the German Shepherd displaced the Terrier as the top dog. American Cocker Spaniels then led the way as the most popular dog from 1936 all the way through to 1952. Longevity is also the key to the current most popular breed. Oddly, Collies never got the advantage of Lassie's popularity.

The current European favourite hails from part of the EEC and is the cutest little puddin' you ever saw!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I agree that labs are the U.S. favorite dogs and thought they were the favorite dog in Europe but sounds like that is a tiny dog from the clues. Have to try to remember tiny breeds.

The most expensive dog is used as a military dog from what I was told by a neighbor who owns one.

Edited to add: Maybe that is why they can be so expensive, seems that the price of items used by the military gets inflated, think hammers and toilet seats.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 16:56

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Okay, I have the European one thanks to your clue and if Bobbie is right about the most expensive, I guess I know that ad well.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hadn't thought of the military as a clue - but that works!!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Still working on number 2. If puddin' was a clue, and I think it was, I'm not making a connection between it and a European country. All that keeps running around in my mind is plum pudding or fig pudding. Then there is Jello pudding, which probably gets me way out in left field.

Military dog makes me think GSD.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Two small dog breeds come to mind. One is named after a place and the other is a common small dog in the U.S. with hair that isn't supposed to bother people who are allergic to other dogs' hair.

Ohh, pudding! Going with my first one. Love the looks of those cuties..

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

TM, are you a fan of a standing prime rib roast? My mother used to fix something to go with it. I did, too, and discovered that it really is quite easy even though I think of it as a fancy thing. Delicious.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Okay, here are my guesses:

Lab in US
    Yorkshire terrier in Europe
    German Shepherd most expensive, although that really surprises me!

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

Oh, how could I not think of Yorkshire pudding? I love it, though I've had it very few times. I was focused on sweet and not savory, I guess. Great clue, Nancy.

I had a wedding to go to yesterday afternoon, so I'm late chiming in.
    My answers.

1. Lab
    2. Cynthia's answer (no credit for me on this)
    3. GSD: German Shepherd

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

and me...
    #1 Lab
    #2 Chihuahua
    #3 ???????

I don't think I did very well on this one, good trivia though Nancy, the old noggin got a workout yesterday LOL.

Annette

• mdln
    9 years ago

AKC is wrong. The mutt is the most popular breed, albiet mixed breed, AKC just fails to appropriately recognize it. :-)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MDN, I agree - lol. However, they do like to create benchmarks!!

1. It's puppy love for the record books: The Labrador Retriever was the most popular dog breed in the U.S. last year for a 23rd year in a row, the American Kennel Club announced Friday. That's the longest any breed has been top dog since the organization's 1884 founding.

2. The Yorkshire Terrier was developed in the north of England (where my family hails from) about the mid-19th century, chiefly for the job of controlling the rat population in the coal pits and cotton mills. It was also a featured combatant in rat-killing contests. The Lab is a very close second, they say, but give no numbers.

3. German Shepherds trace their ancestors to long-haired, short-haired, and wire-haired herding and farm dogs from Bavaria, Wurtemberg, and Thurginia. They need regular exercise to prevent them from becoming restless and destructive. They thrive well in a lifestyle where they are expected to do a job such as a guard dog, police work, guide dog, and as a military dog. They also excel in many competitive sports including obedience, tracking, and agility competitions.

German Shepherds need a consistent Alpha leader who can train and control them and who is a consistent pack leader.

Today a German Shepherd can cost around $3,000 - $24,000. (mind-blowing amounts)

So, for Cynthia:
    {{gwi:609888}}{{gwi:609888}}{{gwi:609888}}{{gwi:609888}}

For Bobbie and TM:
    {{gwi:609888}}{{gwi:609888}}{{gwi:609888}}

And for Annette:
    {{gwi:609891}}

Thanks to all for playing. Welcome to MDLN - come back next week for a playdate!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Ten Most Expensive Dogs

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

What cute dog stars. Didn't get back early enough to put the answers down but had the lab from Annette's first posting and got the Yorkie from Nancy's pudding clue, took me awhile though, and knew the German Shepherd from a previous conversation with a neighbor.

Thanks for the fun, Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so for Bobbie: {{gwi:609888}}

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Aw, I want Annette's puppy! He is so cute.

Thanks for the stars. The Lab was the only one I really knew. Your "puddin" clue gave me Yorkshire and TM or Bobbie gave me the GSD, so I need to share those stars! Very cute btw.

Thanks for the fun.

Cynthia

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!