Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning everyone!

I have been so lazy this morning. Sorry I am late. So, let's get right to it. What animal (non-human) has the longest memory?

I will return with clues-need my cup of tea first!

Cynthia

Comments (21)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Morning all, just popped in for a quick look before heading out into the garden. That song By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea is floating through my mind, although I've changed one of the words :). Hopefully I'll be back later to see if I'm on the right track, if not you know where I'll be LOL.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Hmmm...Annette - I thought I had a clue till you started singing. And I can hear you too.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was afraid this would be too easy for you smarties!

That said, I would love to be able to head to the ocean for my final two weeks of vacation! Jumping the waves is the best!

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, btw, this is not a clue, but last night we watched "Saving Mr. Banks" and I thought it was wonderful. Of course, in the beginning, it bothered me that it was Tom Hanks and his voice rather than the real Walt Disney, but as the movie progressed, I was able to let go of that. I did adore the real Mr. Disney! Emma Thompson is wonderful as is Colin Firth as her father in flashbacks. Some laughs, but ultimately, endearing and heartwarming.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

Everyone knows that an elephant never forgets, so that must be it. Probably not that easy, huh?

To take the prize for the longest memory, it seems like it must be an animal with quite a long life. If someone has experimented with this to the point where they feel they know the answer, at least all but one of the animals tested must have memories shorter than the life of the experiment. That could be years, couldn't it? Hmmmm. This sounds like a tough thing to prove.

Looking forward to clues.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and isn't it interesting that we can often recognize voices after so many years? I could still hear Walt's voice and wished I was hearing that instead of Hanks' voice. I think the last time I heard him was the mid-sixties, well except in reruns.

Recognizing the voices of loved ones after 20 years is still quite something.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally! It looks like it might rain. Of course, it will probably simply be cloudy, wrecking any hope of seeing the super moon, and then not rain a drop. I would be happy for a deluge actually. I would just don my flippers and swim down the street!

Chuck wants the rain to hold off since he is working on replacing our rotten steps from the deck to the top-middle level of the yard and then on down to the lower-middle level where our walk-out lower level is. We are built on a hill, so main street level and then three other levels. I wish I could terrace the hill, but not sure I could manage that at this point. That should have been my first order of business when we moved in 17 years ago! Oh well.

Tm, clue in the first paragraph. :)

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia, I've caught some clues now. I think there is a good chance that the animal is also known for being the name of a pro football team. Dan Marino comes to mind.

TM

• mdln
    9 years ago

Flipper

This post was edited by mdln on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 15:36

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

lol. and I was thinking of Horton. oh well.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I am awash in clues but only needed the first one. First thought was elephant as know they will mourn their dead even years later when they come across the bones. Second thought was this animal which is very teachable which is a sign of intelligence snd a good memory. I agree with TM that this could be difficult to prove and have they tested every animal?

So, Goddess, I think I have it. Don't need to flip me any more balls.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, Bobbie, you will get stars no matter what! So nice to be recognized by my new role! ;)

Oh, and my memory is so weak. I meant Colin Farrell was the father in the movie, not Colin Firth.

Looks like we are all about there. If not, you have a couple of hours yet!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Can anyone see the moon?? It is so gorgeous - thanks for sharing Goddess!!
    Good point about the testing!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

The moon is just rising here. Very nice!

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, the moon is beautiful! It is cloudy here, but just now, the moon is framed by a round break in the leaf cover of the trees and can be seen perfectly. Amazing!

Cynthia

9 years ago

It's still light here, must remember to go out later.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

No moon gazing for me. After .2 inches of rain it remains cloudy with sprinkles now and then. Not enough rain so will be watering in the morning the areas that didn't get watered on Saturday.

Dolphin

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So much brilliance here! Four stars for Annette, TM, Bobbie, mdln (welcome to our trivia!), and Nancy (thinking you got it when you realized it wasn't Horton-ha).

Yes, bottlenose dolphins have the longest memory of non-human animals and remember the whistles of other dolphins for 20 years or more. When you click on the link, you will see that elephants also remember for up to 20 years, but so far, studies don't show that ability outside their family groups.

Thanks for playing. Have a wonderful week.
    Oh, and thanks to Nancy and Bobbie for using my oh-so-proper title. It is okay if you don't always do that-it's enough to know that you know it! ;)

Cynthia, who is hoping for rain today!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dolphins

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Goddess. Very interesting article.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Those dolphins sure are smart. Do you think we could get some of them into congress? I suppose they are too smart for that.

Great question and answer, Cynthia. Thanks for the good fun.

TM

9 years ago

Yes, great question, I'm happy to say I knew this one from the get go, I was having a bit of a dry run :).

Annette

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz