Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday morning, Cottagers. Well, I'm still stumped by Cyn's question, but will soldier on. The more I think I know, the more apparent it is how little I know!!

Those who can do, those who can't teach...I think this came, sadly, from someone I tend to admire, George Bernard Shaw. It is a bastardization of Aristotle's quote, Those who can do, those who understand, teach. Then of course, there is Einstein's quote, You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother. And then I realize that I use words every day that I do not understand:

1. How much is a million?

2. How many years is a generation?

Maybe I'm the only one? Does everyone else know this??

Good luck!! Nancy - who thinks the 1st one will be a gimmee for TM!!!

Comments (12)

• thinman
    12 years ago

Yep, I know the first one.

I didn't know there was an official number of years for a generation, but if I were king, I would declare it to be 20. It sounds about right and it's a nice round number. Just a guess, though. I'll be interested to see what others may think.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Just posted and there was an error. Had to sign in again. Hate that.

1. Gosh, not sure what you want. A factor of ten? Like ten to the nth?

2. I always thought of this as 30 years, but sometimes it seems like many fewer. I'll think...

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Hmmmm, the first one I'm drawing a blank, the second one too but if TM is thinking 20 and Cyn 30 how about I guess 25 LOL.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

There is a book we have at our school called How Many is a Million or something like that. It is a cute book and I do remember that it said it would take about 23 days to count to a million. Do you want that it is like ...so many Mt Everests piled one on top of the other or so many trips around the world? I am feeling pretty stupid here! :0

Anyway, I will go with 10 to the sixth power unless Nancy or TM come back with a better clue for us, Annette.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol - I missed you guys!! I have had tech support in house, helping me get my computer cleaned up. Cyn, she advises me that 10 to the 6th power is correct - lol, I didn't know that one!! Annette/TM, I'll only say that neither of you are correct.

Nancy.

12 years ago

Hey you didn't include Cyn in with TM and me so I'll go along with Cyn and say 30 LOL.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Yes, it may be mathematically correct, but is that what you are looking for in the question????? Methinks not. Clues???

Speaking of millions, here is one of my favorite quotes-may make it my mantra-ha.

"I've never been a millionaire but I just know I'd be darling at it."
    Dorothy Parker

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Yes, it may be mathematically correct, but is that what you are looking for in the question????? Methinks not. Clues???

Speaking of millions, here is one of my favorite quotes-may make it my mantra-ha.

"I've never been a millionaire but I just know I'd be darling at it."
    Dorothy Parker

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, that's my point. A million dollars is a lot of money, but other that, what is it, numerically?? It was the generation thing that got me thinking, though.....

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, maybe a boring question? Oh well.
    A million is a the number equivalent to the product of a thousand and a thousand; 1,000,000 or 10 to the 6th power; informally an unspecified but very large number or amount of something.

A generation is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as:
    noun

all of the people born and living at about the same time , regarded collectively:one of his generation's finest songwriters.
    the average period, generally considered to be about thirty years, in which children grow up, become adults, and have children of their own:the same families have lived here for generations.

Well, maybe not the most fun question....I'll give everybody for playing, and getting it right. Next week will be much harder!!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I thought it was lots of fun, Nancy! Thanks!

12 years ago

It was fun, I look forwards to weekend trivia, keeps the old brain cells active and I need all the help I can get LOL.

Annette

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations