Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

The Paintings

Well, as some of you are aware, I had to put some things into the hands of family this winter, due to a change in circumstances. Things that were precious, that I wanted to keep safe. I am finally OK again, and went to get these things a month ago. Several of my Mother`s watercolours were missing. I was devastated, and my relative has been less than caring about any of these things since Christmas. When I emailed my concern about the missing paintings, I was reminded that I was not a priority, and how dare I suggest that she might have them anyway. It took her 3 weeks to `find` them. Then 2 more weeks to tell me I could drop by to get them. So, yesterday was the day. A friend drove into the city and we picked them up.

It could be because my Mum`s favourite uncle painted them, or because his daughter is one of my few remaining relatives still speaking to me, but I love them and believe that he had true talent. I am having all of his paintings that I have archivally re-framed, but in the original frames.

{{gwi:610151}}

{{gwi:610153}}

{{gwi:610155}}

This last one is the largest of all. It is actually too large for my scanner. My Uncle painted it for his favourite niece, my Mum, for her wedding present. I have two that were painted for me, but I believe that you can see his passion in the landscapes.

This meant a lot to me, getting them back. Thanks for looking at them.

Nancy.

Comments (7)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Nancy, I'm so happy you finally got them back, your uncle was a very talented man. All I will say about some families is... at least we can pick our friends.

Hugs
    Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Oh, Nancy, those are beautiful-no wonder you treasure them! I agree there is a lot of talent showing in them. I am so glad you have them back.

Also agree with Annette about families. In my case, the less said the better.

Happy Monday and hugs to you both!
    Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol - thanks guys!! I am finally rid of that part of the family.

Nancy.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful paintings, Nancy. I'm so glad you were able to keep them, and that piece of your family you hold dear to your heart.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Nancy,

Those are treasures for certain. Beautiful water colors!
    I think every family has relatives like that - "Family Vultures".
    I have a cousin whose grandmother burned all our family heirlooms - furniture, china, silverware, brooches, family portraits, and etc., to keep her daughter-in-law (my cousin's mother) from getting them when my cousin's grandfather died. They weren't her grandmother's family things. They were our family's heirlooms. They dated back to the 1790s from Ireland, and some things from England. My cousin said she could still remember the huge bonfires that burned for days out in the yard.
    Fortunately, her father was able to rescue some of the old documents, papers, deeds and even old letters, by hiding them away in the barn attic inside an old trunk. What a selfish and hateful old woman!
    I am so glad you were able to get those paintings back before something happened to them.

~Annie

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Annie - what a story. People can be hateful, can't they?? Why can't people just share and get along?? I always think, in a hundred years, will this be important? Well, having these things in the family will, to me, although my birth Uncle warns me about being too attached to 'things'. I get that, I do, but gosh darn it, they are mine!!!

Thanks all, your comments truly mean a lot.

Nancy.

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

I especially love the painting of the ship. Beautiful!
    I remember my mom saying, also, that her aunts and cousins wouldn't talk to their part of the family anymore after they were offended about not getting something when my grandmother died (my mom was just out of her teens and her siblings younger)..and she said she was so sorry because she'd always loved that aunt and I thought what a shame on top of losing your mother so young, your family backs away from you over "stuff"
    So glad you were able to have these :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES