Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Oh my. I cannot believe that I am so late! I have been out in the yard dumping mulch after a frenetic week of weeding and planting. Sadly, there is another week of the same staring me in the face. I intend to keep this smile on my face, though! I am enjoying every moment. My garden is my artistic outlet...such as it s...

So, here is a very quick question sort of stolen from elsewhere. Can you tell me who said the following?

"Let no man who is not a mathematician read the elements of my work."

Off to clean and organize before friends show up for dinner, but I will be back with clues.

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmm...I know Einstein said that you do not truly understand something unless you can explain it to your Grandma.....I'm waiting for clues and TM!!!

Nancy - who is home cause her allergies kept her up ALL night!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

lol.

Mathematicians are like Frenchmen: whatever you say to them, they translate it into their own language, and forthwith it means something entirely different.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THAT is a great quotation. I should have used that for the question today by leaving out the French part and asking you to try to guess who are like mathematicians...l wonder if today's subject ever went to France. I don't think so.

Sorry about your allergies, Nancy. No fun at all. Hope you are feeling better by now and that you get to enjoy your unexpected day off a little. Maybe relax with an art project...or invent something new...or any number of things. Don't limit yourself to one thing.

Cynthia

Yes, TM is definitely a polymath and may very well know this!

• thinman
    11 years ago

Busy day today. Farmers' market this morning, followed immediately by a post-wedding barbecue. The wedding and reception were yesterday, with no children invited, and today included kids. I had to cut the market short to get to the barbecue, but still managed to sell most of what I took. It's been a good day.

As for the trivia, I don't really know the answer, but it sounds too arrogant to be Einstein --- more like the other giant in physics and math. Only guessing, though, and I could probably come up with some more guesses if need be.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

When I think of this man I think of his flying machine illustrations.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Oh, good heavens!!! lol. If it's who I'm thinking of, I believe he did go to Paris, once. Or at least, he guest starred on Star Trek Voyager, and talked about going there!! And yes, I am repairing lamps that my maternal Grandfather made. Sadly, the one not terrible well, but it is usable again. The 2nd, I think I've twisted the wires off their post in securing the shade harp tighter, so I am going in for a closer look!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Friends are late for The Last Supper before school starts. This fellow was much more of a, dare I say, Renaissance man than Einstein or any other s I can think of now. Hmmm, perhaps the very definition of one.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

As I said, heavens!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Hmmmm, clues seem to point towards Leo. Late to the game, been busy fixing up a tub for a bunch of Shubunkins that just hatched. They're tiny little specks swimming around in one of my weed tubs at the moment.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

I think I have heard of this guy in a book by Dan Brown. Bobbie's clue got me thinking in the right direction.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Are shubunkins turtles? Guess that doesn't make sense as they would be bigger than little specks.

I remember Cpt. Janeway visiting and flying with this guy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

M.....Shubunkins are are a type of goldfish, the ones we have are blue with black and reddish orange splotches and speckles on them.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for Nancy, Bobbie, Annette, and TM. Yes, it was Leonardo da Vinci who wrote that and he wrote it using his mirror writing!

I wonder if there is anyone today who comes close to being the thinker, artist, architect, inventor, mathematician, scientist and on and on that da Vinci was. There's a topic for discussion-has anyone in history matched him as a Renaissance man? Off to ponder and drink tea. Chime in with any thoughts as the week progresses.

Happy Sunday all. Thanks as always for playing.

Cynthia, who is most definitely not ready for this to be her last week of summer vacation!

• thinman
    11 years ago

Thanks for the fun question this week, Cynthia. Da Vinci was definitely an amazing combo of talents --- the creative and the technical mixed together in one individual.

Have a good last week of vacation.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Cynthia, I can't believe that it is almost September!! The heat seemed to last forever, but the summer flew by. Thanks for the question, and the mental stretch!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Also, thank you for the extreme compliment of saying I was a polymath. I realize now it was a hint at da Vinci, and not intended to be factual, :), but it was quite an honor anyway, though sadly, far from true.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, but I didn't intend it simply as a clue, although it was that, too. I am continually amazed by the depth and breadth of knowledge here!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County