Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

weekend Trivia: Saturday

Yep, I am early again. Driving north to see friends in PA for the day tomorrow, so figured I should post your question early. :) I won't get back to give clues until late, although I plan to take my iPad and maybe check in when I get there around 11:00 I hope and then before I leave.

So, being a fan of foie gras (although it is hard to reconcile myself to the method of raising the geese and feeding them), can you name the one particular animal whose liver you definitely do not want to eat? In fact, the consequences to humans are deadly.

See you in about 17 hours. If you know the answer, feel free to give clues before I return.

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• thinman
    10 years ago

I know that livers have a bunch of Vitamin A and some of them have so much you can get Vitamin A poisoning if you eat too much. I don't know any specific animals, but for some reason this makes me think of Eskimos.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Good morning all,
    Beautiful day here.
    Did Homer Simpson find this out the hard way?
    :) Laura

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Gorgeous day here. Happy Saturday, All.
    I just feel old today - arthritis kicking in and making be want to curl up and sleep. I watched a show about something like this, a British TV murder mystery. A number of animals went missing......

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

oops lol "animal" I was thinking blow fish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homer eats fugu

• thinman
    10 years ago

Laura, I wouldn't rule out blowfish yet. I think it's a good guess. Those things can definitely kill you, though I don't know if it's the liver that does it.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I don't know what animal's liver will kill you but I think and act like eating any liver is killing me. I can definetly remember my Mom saying, "Eat it. It won't kill you."

• thinman
    10 years ago

And we know that moms never lie.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

As the day was getting warmer and more humid a flash of white crossed my mind. That and TM's clue gave me the answer.

• thinman
    10 years ago

A flash of white, huh? Hmmm.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Back from the north. I expected it to be a bear of a trip, but it was pretty easy. Relatively little traffic-guess everyone else was headed to the water.

Love seeing all your thoughts! This was a fun way to do trivia for a change. Very funny about eating liver, Bobbie. I can only eat it as foie gras, liverwurst, or pate. Otherwise, forget it. I also heard that phrase as a kid and remember thinking, "oh yes it will...just watch." Ha.

I do believe TM and Bobbie have it. Not sure about Nancy. Both she and Laura will have it when they read the last few clues, I suspect, especially when they add my first paragraph here to the flash of white comments!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, so I was wrong early.

A bear of a day, eh??

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I didn't totally have it, but when I saw Bobbie's clue I thought of the animal, and then Cynthia's clue sealed the deal.

Polar bear?

So, can a person not eat any of this animal's liver?

TM

This post was edited by thinman on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 9:05

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I'm guessing polar bear also. Thanks to the clues lol
    :) Laura.
    I need a new computer. This one is only 4 yrs old but I've screwed it up too many times. it keeps freezing up.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now that everyone has it, yes, it is the polar bear's liver that is so toxic to humans. The Inuit know better than to eat it, for sure. Not so early explorers. See the link. It sounds like a particularly unpleasant way to go. I do not think I want all my skin peeling off. No, decidedly not.

Here are three stars and a polar bear for you all. If they aren't some of the cutest animals on the planet, I'll eat their liv...errrr...my hat.

Thanks for playing all. Have a marvelous week.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Polar bear liver

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the edible polar bear and stars, Cynthia. Those side effects sound gruesome.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia. Good question, answer, and tasty-looking stars. I'll do my best to stay away from the polar bear livers. Polar bears are having a tough go of it lately, with the disappearance of so much arctic sea ice.

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Cyn,
    I almost forgot thanks
    for the stars and the fun!

Sponsored