Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Sunday

Well, I'm baaaccckkk!!! I thought it was time to let TM have his mornings for fishing, so here's hoping it is a successful foray. "Old Michigan seems like a young man's dream - it's islands and bays are for sportsman."

I have a simple (perhaps) question today: what is the opposite of adduction? Will that entertain your little grey cells for a while? I'll be back with clues!!

Nancy.

Comments (18)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Maybe it's subduction. Just kidding; that has to do with one tectonic plate sliding under another.

I think I know why you know this one, Nancy. Many visits to PT?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, I think adductor sounds familiar and am thinking along TM's clue of PT, but not totally sure, so will check for clues.

Nice and cool today, so yard work calls. Be back in a bit.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aah yes, the PT and the surgeon. Adduction was nigh impossible before the hip surgery, and without that, the opposite could not happen!!

Cool and grey here, but the gypsies may take me away later, for some fun!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would it help if I told you that Adduction is a movement which brings a part of the anatomy closer to the middle sagittal plane of the body.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh good! Another word I don't know! Haha.

So hips affected, something to do with a middle line...trying to think of things my mother couldn't do after her surgery, but you are saying you couldn't do it before. She couldn't bowl after, which always struck us all as amusing because she didn't bowl before. Thinking of crossing or uncrossing?

Heading outside again.
    Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I did a lot of adduction exercises before and after my knee surgery to strengthen the leg muscles. These are very common exercises in most any routine. Not sure of the word for the opposite movement which I did as well.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 12:59

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it is a very common movement, and a reasonably common word, though not in this sense....towards is adduction, away is _______. Hmmmm. Away indeed, perhaps not by choice??

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Got it from your clue, Nancy. I saw an excellent review for a current movie dealing with this other definition of the word.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it is a very common movement, and a reasonably common word, though not in this sense....towards is adduction, away is _______. Hmmmm. Away indeed, perhaps not by choice??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Okay, I am done. I either need to hire a gardener or exile myself to someplace with a smaller garden and no weeds. I cannot seem to keep up any more. All this time outside, so filthy dirty from sitting on the muddy ground that I had to take off the gardening togs before coming into the house (good thing the neighbors have moved and the new folks aren't in yet...and I could come in the basement) and I didn't even get a third of the way through what I wanted to do! Aaarrrggghh. If I can leave school on time tomorrow, maybe I can plant a few more things. I kind of went overboard when the boyz at Naylor Creek put things up for auction. Why do I do this to myself?

So, I think I have it if my little clue at the beginning of my rant is right. Sorry to go so off topic.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

I did go fishing today and caught a couple: a good-sized smallmouth bass and a northern pike. I dressed warmly and had fun.

I'm pretty sure that the opposite of adduction is a crime in most jurisdictions.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well then, TM, I must be wrong...again! ;). Oh well.

I was thinking exduction-never heard of it, but have learned that means nothing. However, sounds like it might be abduction?

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, and I should have said welcome back to feeling healthy again! Nice of you to let TM get in his fishing. :)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Seems like we ought to be able to work a seduction joke in here somewhere.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol - work away, TM.

Well, I thought I had posted the answer and stars, but it isn't here, unlike other posts which duplicate. Go figure!

So yes, the opposite of adduction is abduction. This always struck me as funny, for some reason. I was reminded of it when the Dr. looked at my range of motion in April - or lack thereof.
    {{gwi:611467}}
    Interestingly, there is a chemical definition as well: A chemical compound that forms from the addition of two or more substances.

So there you go!!
    **** for everyone. sorry, but I can't access my old Photobucket account, so need to download new stars!! Next Week.

Thanks for playing. See you next week!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nancy, for the interesting question. Didn't remember the chemistry term Too many years away from talking about and using chemistry.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thank you, Nancy, for the stars, tiny though they might be. This was a good question for your comeback performance. I was sort of expecting a music question, but I liked this one better. :)

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Great question Nancy. My doctor always moves my legs like that at my annual check-up.

Thanks for the stars. Have a wonderful week all.

Cyntha

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz