Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Funny that Nancy and I were thinking alike this week. Instead of a logo, I discovered something interesting about a company slogan this week. Stevens Aviation had a slogan that was adopted by Southwest Airlines when it was an up-and-comer. Of course, that could not be allowed! Do you know how the dispute was settled?

Cynthia

Comments (19)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and the chairman of Southwest at the time was Herb Kelleher, a lawyer.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I don't know this one and need clues. Could it be that time honored practice of tossing something?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Oh, this tickles the edge of my memory, but it's not coming any closer! ol.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmm, I'm in the dark on this one.

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm in the dark with Annette on this one, though I can't see her because it's what? Dark.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some background for you from a People magazine article: After moving to San Antonio and starting his own family of four children, Kelleher discovered that a conventional legal career wasn't for him. "Every day I went to work, I felt my shoulders droop a little more," he says. In 1966, Rollin King, a friend who was in the charier airline business, proposed starting a commuter airline, and Kelleher jumped at the chance. Initially, Kelleher was an investing partner; he served as the company's general counsel until 1978, when the board resolved a dispute between South-west's other two top officers by naming Kelleher president.

The Stevens Aviation slogan was Just Plane Smart and they threatened to sue Southwest for appropriating the slogan. Kelleher knew one way to rein in costs was to lower legal fees, so he didn't want to face a lawsuit. There had to be a better way.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Arghh...still on the edge of my memory - not coming through.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have signed up for a yoga class starting week after this one. I hope I can stay awake long enough to make it there! I considered taking a weight training class (this is at our local rec center, so lots of choices), but my son's sweetie suggested this, so there I'll be. I do need to increase my strength, I think, but guess yoga will also help a little with that. We women need to build up our upper body strength, don't we? I certainly wouldn't win any prizes in a competition.

Cynthia, who is off to get bird seed-those little birds sure do eat a lot

• thinman
    9 years ago

I just flashed on arm wrestling. Or pie eating.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Maybe arm wrestling?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not that this has anything to with the question today, but have any of you seen the movie, "Big Fish"? We saw it at the theater years ago and it was on tv earlier today. Being a huge Albert Finney fan, I just had to watch it again. It is a wonderful film, I think. It always makes me sob like an idiot at the end-you know, an ugly cry as they say, but it is silly and funny, and fun and heartwarming.

Once the CEO of Stevens, Kurt Herwald, and Kelleher had decided how to settle their dispute, "an antic war of words ensued publicly. 'Stevens wrote back that their boss bench-presses a Cessna every day,'says Herb. 'We responded that [Herwald] was a pusillanimous little wimp compared to our chairman, who's been known to kick, scratch and cry in order to win.' "

For those who haven't guessed yet, I will say that they were seated when the dispute was settled.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sigh. School night. Time to get ready for bed. Didn't cook tonight. Had a sandwich while I watched some more tv. Funny how odd thoughts pop into one's mind at odd moments. I had the thought while munching that my mother wouldn't be able to take her hand and hit my elbows while saying, "Elbows off the table!"

She would never have agreed to settle an argument the way these guys did! ;)

You have until tomorrow! Some of you may notneed to come back until it is star gathering time!

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

I'll go with arm wrestling too :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Arm wrestling gets a vote from me.

Another beautiful day. Got the edging laid and compost added to the new area to move the iris and daylilies. Also chose plants to take to tomorrow's swap and cleaned large pots to take along.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Finished off the Million Dollar relish today - so now I have that, some pickled beets, bread & butter pickles, peach jam and grape jelly. Yum. Hope the weather is as nice next weekend, I need to do yet more arm-wrestling with the weeds!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yikes! School is really getting in my way. Well, actually the delay is due to my poor memory and messy desk-left my iPad under stuff on my desk yesterday. So sorry to make all of you wait for your stars.

Yes, the two CEOs arm wrestled, but they both ended up winning in the end. The link is a fun version of the story.

So, four stars for TM, Nancy, Annette, and Bobbie!

Have a marvelous week all. See you Saturday. Chuck found me a fun question for Sunday. Have I ever mentioned that he and son John are automobile aficionados?

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: How to solve disputes!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Plane Smart - I could not remember that!! Thanks for the fun!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Hilarious video. Seems that the publicity from the stunt gave both companies a boost.

Thanks for the plane stars!

• thinman
    9 years ago

That was a lot of fun to read about, Cynthia. Thanks for the good hints.

TM

Sponsored