Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Morning all!

Made it through the first week of school which is pretty much non-stop meetings. Can't wait for Tuesday when our kiddoes come back! When I arrived home yesterday, there was a hawk in our yard-very cool. I am hoping he (or she)will help me with my chipmunk issues! :) Unfortunately, I suspect it will be the song birds who get the worst of it. I always know when the hawks are around because my bird seed doesn't disappear as quickly as usual. Good for me, bad for them!

So, how about a little bird trivia today? Are you familiar with the Arctic Tern? Can you tell me what is unique about this little bird?

Cynthia

Comments (19)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Ohh, my tom-cat Nicademus says he'll come down and help you with your 'edible art' - he loves chipmunks!!!

Hmmm!! Arctic terns. Probably something to do to with the 'arctic' part, lol, but I have no idea!! Must go to work and think on this!!

Have a great day all - Nancy.

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

Hello all! It is Labor Day weekend, the unofficial end of summer. Many Americans will be doing bbq and indulging in quantities of great food. I might do hamburgers with my Weber kettle grill, maybe...we shall see. There is a clue in my prattling.
    Regards,
    Lorna

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm, Lorna, now I am trying to figure out your clue! I am not sure we are thinking along the same lines, but I will wait to see. If summer is your clue, that could be a good one. Otherwise, I am lost.

Nancy, would welcome Nicademus. I suspect he would not leave three foot deep holes when going after those critters like Annabelle does!

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

This makes me think of a certain sport.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow. I am so lost and it is my question! Ha.

Anyway, the hawk is not around today. At least not that I've seen, but it is too soon for him to be moving on-he usually stays a few weeks.

Yes, sad to see summer leave. Wouldn't it be nice to have a second home where it is still summer? I have lots of plants to put it this weekend. It is a little early, but I have a hard time saying no when things are on sale. I will be traveling to Maryland again this weekend (at least I hope I will) to check out the camellias that have recently arrived at my favorite nursery. I need some to hide the neighbor's new spite fence! Chuck just doesn't understand why I travel so far (about an hour drive), but they do have the best selection! Unfortunately, it will have to be tomorrow since the grandpuppy just arrived. John is up in Baltimore at some huge BMW thing (he took Chuck's M5 and will try to find someone who might want to buy it-fingers crossed) and Kelly has a party. Labor Day weekend here means people travelling!

Back soon. It is trying to rain a little, but not so bad that I can't dig some little holes.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

I don't know this one at all, but I'm sifting for clues in your posts, Cynthia, and I think you are aiming us toward traveling. Maybe the tern has to fly really far for something, like mating or nesting. Just a guess.

TM

12 years ago

I'm thinking along the same lines TM.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooooh, Annette, maybe I do get your sport clue now.

TM, you are close, but don't sweat the details!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Eeeeee - not sure - maybe the furthest migration? I was thinking maybe it never stopped moving, else it froze, but of course, it is in the arctic in the summer. Too many ideas swimming in my head!!!

Nancy.

12 years ago

The Arctic Tern migrates from the Arctic to Antarctica, that's one heck of a distance to travel. I don't know of another bird that travels that far.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

As a birder I know the artic tern for its long migration that allows it to summer in both the Arctic and Antarctica.

I have no idea what sport to which Annette is referring.

12 years ago

LOL, pole vaulting.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Such a bunch of smarties!

**** for Annette (plus an extra for the clever clue! *), Bobbie (also an extra star for knowing they enjoy two summers by migrating from the north to south hemisphere! *), and Nancy.

*** for TM since he did know that it had something to do with a long flight.

Lorna, tell me if you deserve stars. I am not sure and couldn't get your clues! :)

Yes, the Arctic Tern migrates farther than any other known animal. Flying from pole to pole, it travels approximately 44,000 miles each year!

Terns live for about 20 years, although many live as long as 30 years. They are very social birds and live in colonies of about 50 birds. Their feet are webbed, but they don't spend time in the water; they avoid it, prefering to swoop down, but keep on flying once they skim the prey out of the water.

Here is one example of this bird's amazing long-distance flying abilities: an unfledged chick ringed on the Farne Islands, Northumberland, UK in the summer of 1982,arrived in Melbourne, Australia, in October 1982. That was a sea journey of over 22,000 km (14,000 mi) in only a few months from fledging!

The Arctic Tern almost never lands and spends more time in sunlight than dark due to its migration. It spends it summers at the poles, enjoying two summers every year, not unlike some people we know who head to warmer climes for a break from winter! ;)

Thanks for playing everyone.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

omg Annette - too funny!!! Never would have guessed that one!!! And what the heck were you doing online at that hour??!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia. I totally missed the second summer clue - good one! And Annette - pole vaulting - ha ha!

If the Arctic Tern almost never lands, which now sounds familiar to me, do we know how or when it sleeps?

Interesting stuff!

TM

12 years ago

Nancy, what was I doing up at that hour? I've been a night owl most of my life. Oh course that little nap taken earlier might have had something to do with it.

Annette

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

Cyn, I thought the answer was webbed feet, because terns aren't considered swimmers as are the other birds which have webbed feet. No stars for me!
    Regards,
    Lorna

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TM, apparently birds that migrate long distances can put half their brain to sleep (unihemispheric sleep) while the other half is awake and alert. How cool is that?!

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Interesting!! So their body doesn't need the sleep, just their brain, half at a time. Pretty cool alright.

TM

Sponsored