Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

A lovely cool clear fall Sunday morning, but I have a streaming, sneezing head cold, so will not be staying up to enjoy it. It is still too early for my next dose of medication, so dear cottagers:

Born in Oklahoma in 1942, he began playing piano at the age of four. He attended Will Rogers High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma. At this time he was already performing at Tulsa nightclubs. He played with artists as varied as Jerry Lee Lewis, George Harrison, Delaney Bramlett, Ringo Starr, Doris Day, Elton John, Eric Clapton, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Willie Nelson, Badfinger, Tijuana Brass, Frank Sinatra, The Band, Bob Dylan, Glen Campbell, and The Rolling Stones. Since you have shut me out these last several weeks, that's all you get for a while. ;-))

Who is he?? I'm going back to my warm bed till it's meds time, and then I will check in and see how you are doing. Maybe you'll need clues?

Nancy.

Comments (19)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I am so sorry you feel so miserable today, Nancy. I am picturing you with much the same expression on your face as Annabelle has-she is not a happy camper either.

I am going to need to think about this one. A couple of thoughts are wafting through my brain, but I can't quite catch them.

Hope you are getting a good nap. Do you have a neti pot? I swear by mine, but I think it works best before you are completely stuffed up. Feel better!

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Poor you, there's nothing worse than a head cold, stay warm and take it easy.

I think you've got me this time Nancy, right now nothing is coming to mind :(.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I remember someone from OK was inducted into the R & R Hall of Fame this spring but don't remember the name. Will have to think about this for awhile.

Sorry to hear you are feeling miserable. Sounds like a good day to lounge about and drink tea or hot chocolate.

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

Stumped again.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Holy Cow!! I really did need that nap. I sleep with a CPAP, so it really helps with a head cold, otherwise I am a mouth-breather. lol. So I do feel well-rested, just not sure about better, but the sneezing seems to have abated - which is good, since my rib-cage muscles are quite sore.

OK, clues> his musical career started at the age of 14 in the nightclubs of Tulsa, Oklahoma. He and his group The Starlighters, which included J.J. Cale, Chuck Blackwell and Johnny Williams, were instrumental in creating the style of music known as the Tulsa Sound. After settling in Los Angeles, he studied guitar with James Burton. Known mostly as a session musician early in his career, as a solo artist he has crossed genres to include rock and roll, blues, and gospel music, playing with artists as varied as noted above. As a member of Phil Spector's studio group, he played on many of the most popular songs of the 1960s, including some by The Byrds, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Bobby "Boris" Pickett, and Herb Alpert. He can be seen in 1964's "The T.A.M.I. Show", playing piano with "The Wrecking Crew" (an informal name for the top L.A. session musicians of the 1960s), sporting short, dark, slicked-back hair, in contrast to his later look.

Very good, mnwsgal!! You are correct!! That was going to another clue....did any of the above help? I'll be back sooner, this time.

Nancy.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Miss Nancy, are you talking about Mel McDaniel?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

honalee - our mystery guest today had a few stage names in his early days, so I had to look this up. And no, I am not talking about Mel McDaniel, although he did write music with J.J.Cale. McDaniel also was inducted into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame with today's guest!! While they were both born in 1942, McDaniel sadly died earlier this year. "_" is still with us, still touring and recording. You know your music!! Have I given you the answer now?

Nancy.

12 years ago

Not yet. I thought of Mel McDaniel cause my husband is a big fan of his. Didn't know he passed. I just remember him from "Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On".

12 years ago

OK Miss Nancy>>>>Leon Russell

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Came back for clues and got the answer.

I was hoping that "A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall" would be today's theme, but alas only clouds.

I LOVE Leon Russell. Saw him at Duke when I was in college (Wake Forest, not Duke, alas again). One of the best concerts ever-incredible pianist-should have thought of him right from the start! He was/is amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leon

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Shoot, I missed this one. He's my kind of guy :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Yep, Leon Russell is the one. I kept thinking Kurt Russell but knew that wasn't right.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, looks like the veterans got skunked by the newbie - good on you, honalee!!

{{gwi:611614}}
    Claude Russell Bridges (born April 2, 1942), known professionally as Leon Russell, is an American musician and songwriter, who has recorded as a session musician, sideman, and maintained a solo career in music. Russell's first commercial success as a songwriter came when Joe Cocker recorded the song "Delta Lady" for his 1969 album, Joe Cocker! The album, produced and arranged by Russell, reached #11 on the Billboard 200. Russell went on to organize and perform in the tour supporting Cocker's album, Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Soon after the Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour, Shelter Records released his 1970 eponymous solo album Leon Russell, which included the first recording of "A Song for You". This has become one of his best-known songs, with cover versions released by more than 40 different artists including Ray Charles, Peggy Lee, Helen Reddy, Whitney Houston, Donny Hathaway, and Christina Aguilera. Both The Carpenters and The Temptations named an album after the song. During November 2009, he wrote many songs with Elton John and Bernie Taupin for The Union, a double album record credited equally to both Russell and John. Recorded in February 2010 and produced by T-Bone Burnett, the CD was released on October 19, 2010. On April 2, 2011, Russell and John performed together as the musical guests on Saturday Night Live. Leon is currently touring the US - in fact, he is playing in Florence, AL tonight - anybody got a lear jet??

So, for honalee:

Thanks to all for playing today. And welcome to Honalee - I hope you come back next weekend - we play on Saturdays and Sundays!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Song for You

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you have a friend named Jackie Paper??

Nancy.

12 years ago

I used to but one day he came no more. I still have Puff though! :)

Ginny Garden

12 years ago

Thanks Nancy. I had fun with that one. I love trivia but really just got lucky with that one. My DH helped a bit too! :) I'll check in next weekend if I remember.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. Nice to meet you!

Nancy.

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I work nights. When I woke up before the alarm sounded tonight, Leon Russell was the first thing I thought of. I guess the collective consciousness was giving me the answer (but it was too late to play).

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awww, sorry bout that. Here's something for that first wake-up thought:

Actually, that is often when these things come to me, as well.

btw All, I am feeling much better. Still a bit runny, but not so much the convulsive sneezing! Yea!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm