Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning everyone! The sprinkler in the back and the hose in the front (can't find the other sprinkler and just the hose is more efficient anyway) are both going and by afternoon, maybe the ground will be soft enough for me to dig-received lots of new plants in the post on Thursday. Fun.

Today, we are going to think about that most marvelous of magazines we remember from childhood, National Geographic. When it first came into being, it was more of a travelogue/journal for the rich and powerful. With the arrival of the Society's second president, it became the magazine we know and love with incredible photography accompanied by well-written interesting articles that society at large could enjoy. And we have ever since.

Do you have an idea of who this gentleman might be?

Cynthia

Comments (21)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good morning, All. Cyn, we are getting ready to wrap up the season - getting the tenders in, I need a shelf to put them on, as space is at a premium. I do need to get some tulip bulbs, though....

Oh, that name is right on the tip of my memory!! Mulitple names, yes? Long time in the office, and isn't his name-sake son involved as well? That's all I got right now, but this will dance on the edge of my mind till it comes into focus!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Yep, fall garden chores here too. I've tilled in my cover crop of oats and will be sowing winter rye soon to be tilled in next spring. Haven't needed to water in weeks, thanks to plentiful rain. A frost was threatening last night, so yesterday I gathered in all the corn ears that were left and made creamed corn for the freezer. I also got a bucket of tomatoes and a half bucket of green beans. Pumpkins and winter squash are still out there waiting. I really enjoy the fall harvest.

If I have the pronunciation right, isn't there a silent s in our trivia man's name? Or am I thinking of the wrong person?

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

After all the hours I spent pouring over The National Geographic I should know this but, alas, no name comes to mind. My grandparents gave us their old copies which opened the world to this South Dakota farm girl. In my imagination I was right there observing the chimps with Jane Goodall.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, it was his son-law, Gilbert Grosvenor, who was president after him. That may be the person of whom you are thinking, TM. His last patent was when he was 75 for the fastest hydrofoil yet invented. Of course, e is more well-known fr other things.

On another note, I am so tired of being deaf! Well not really, but it seems that I am headed in that direction. I have one friend from high school who has worn hearing aids for at least 10 years. I am wondering how much of a pain they are and if I want to get tested. Opinions, anyone?

TM and Nancy, you have both been busy! Creamed corn sounds delicious! No rain here and cool as of last night, but not frosty yet. That, I can wait for. Heading to Home Depot to buy new door knobs for the almost finished guest room. Think I will buy the lever kind. I have planned for a while to replace all our round knobs before I get to the point of not being able to open them easily. Jeepers, it sounds as if I am 166 years old or something, doesn't it?!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, that's who I was thinking of, but couldn't post cause I am yet again having trouble with this page. Son-in-law, eh? Hmmmm....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, got the new Brooks Brothers catalogue yesterday and glanced through it today. Where do they find all those beautiful people? I always thought of Brooks Brothers as American, but they have a very good looking young man (rather extraordinary, actually-sorry,TM, to be judging that fellow on his looks) who is dressed in full Scottish regalia. Oh to be young again! Actually, wouldn't really want to be, but sometimes I forget my age!

Yesterday in school, I used my iPad to make videos the kids interviewing each other about which of our rules they think is the most important. One student wanted to pretend to be the guy holding the microphone. They had so much fun and were so cute.

So, have any of the clues rung a bell for you?

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

You're right, Cynthia, it was Grosvenor I was thinking of. I just got back from fishing, which was slow, so I will read your clues a couple more times and see if I can come up with anything.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Ooh cyn, I know you are giving clues, but my brain is not receiving!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Hmmm. Does his middle name have only four letters?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, TM. Not the Wizard of Menlo Park. Sorry.

So, here is one of my small daily irritations. Our landline phone handset does not hold a charge anymore. If someone calls and we talk for more than about four minutes, the darn thing shuts down. Aarrgghh. Makes us both nuts, but neither one of us will go get another. We are playing telephone chicken! I know I will give in first, but if I do, I will probably just get a cell phone to replace this one. I am sort of tempted to get an old fashioned plug in the wall no wireless handset type. Remember those wall mounted ones? We used to think they were so cool and modern, especially when they came out with the ones with the extra long cords that allowed you to walk around the kitchen as you talked. Good memories. Telephones certainly have come a long way.

One of my clues may be more obvious if you are in the special education field. Still, even so, many people don't know this man worked with those with a certain disability.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am heading to bed folks. Big day tomorrow: planting, working on the guest room (yet again/still), going with a neighbor to the real estate open house at another neighbor's house, grocery (need to get snacks for the kids-last week was goldfish, this week Teddy Grahams and maybe some of those little round Baby Bel cheeses), and miscellaneous small cleaning projects. I have a feeling it will be like Judith Viorst's book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Oh and you were not wrong in thinking of someone known by three names, but you picked the wrong one! I think that last paragraph should give it to you though! :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

AGB?

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Got it from the hearing aid, Scottish, and telephone clues. The last posting spelled it out, Alexander Graham Bell.

I worked all afternoon outside on my new bed doing some terracing. Before I could finish it started raining, though lightly enough that I kept working until evening. Not finished, but close. By the time I cleaned the muddy tools and my shoes it was rainy steadily. We have 't had rain for many weeks and are back in a drought so this rain was welcome. No frost here yet and none expected next week. Dahlias are in full bloom.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Bobbie, how do you get your flowers to grow upside down like that? :)

Bell was my next guess. I was going back and forth between him and Edison. I didn't know he was Scottish.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for Nancy, Bobbie, and TM! Yes, I did sort of spell it out in the last post, didn't I? You were all on the right track though, so I hope you don't mind that I gave it away. I had one other subtle clue referring to his assistant, Watson ("Watson, come here. I need you.") in which I was going to talk about te new Sherlock Holmes show with the female Watson. Had I been more awake, I would have tried that first and the last give-aways after to extend the fun.

Anyway, yes, it was Bell who was the second president of the National Geographic Society. He was the one who urged the change in format to those glossy pictures and fascinating articles we know and love. He and his son-in-law made that happen. Grosvenor became the third president of the society.

Thanks for playing. I am linking a short bio, but will look for more info on his time with National Geographic and link that later.

Thanks for playing!

Cynthia

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 9:34

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bell

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and this article talks about his attempt to save the life of President Garfield.

This idea for trivia came from listening to a story on NPR about the new play here in DC at the NG Society headquarters/museum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. I am not on the ball today.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 9:35

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Great question, Cyn - and you know, because of his mother, we claim the telephone to be a 'Canadian' invention!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the question and interesting articles, Cynthia. Fewer and fewer of my friends have land lines anymore. My desk phone is an old black rotary dial, like the one above, from my mother-in law's home. When I want to make a long distance call I use the hand held to dial them switch back to the old one. Local calls are made with the rorary dial.

Was the photo upside down, TM? I took it with and posted from my IPad. On my screen it is right side up. Good to know so I can use the Mac for posting photos instead.

We had just under an inch of rain yesterday. Tomorrow I will divide and move some perennials to the new bed.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bobbie, your photo was right side up for me (on my iPad). I had some pics post upside down too when I used my iPad and discovered that it depends on which way you hold it when you take the pictures. Apparently, they will post right side up if the little button with the square in it is on the right . Of course, that doesn't explain why TM is seeing your beautiful dahlia upside down and I am not. *sigh*. I am such a techno-idiot, as I know I have said before.

I would love to terrace our hill in back, but it seems like such a huge, difficult job. Kudos to you. I wish there were a magical trick that would allow me to do it easily. Ha!

Yes, I thought you would like that Bell lived and died in Canada, Nancy!

Have a fun week everyone.

Cynthia

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH