Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good morning, dear cottagers. It's a bit of a rainy one here today, but that's OK. I've been working on reorganizing my basement/workshop and I should be able to make some good progress on that.

Silly story from my youth -

When my brother and I were about 8 and 6, our school was having roof work done and there was scaffolding set up on the back side of the building. It was the weekend, and no one was around, so we decided to climb up to the roof and walk around. Pretty cool, huh? Apparently a concerned neighbor saw us up there, because pretty soon we saw a police car roll into the parking lot. Talk about scared! It was every man for himself. I scrambled down and hid in a field. My brother disappeared.

When no one found me, I went home, where I found out that my brother had hurt himself. He had broken a bone and had to go to the doctor. As far as I know, our parents never found out what we had been up to.

It turns out that the bone he broke was the most commonly broken bone in the human body. Your trivia question is: What is that bone?

TM

Comments (18)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh my. So many possibilities. Picturing accidents now and trying to decide what is the most probable answer!

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can tell you it's not the skull. My brother's skull is apparently really strong. My friend Tommy B. whacked him in the head with a hoe once (accidentally) and there was blood, but no fracture. That was another trip to the doctor.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

lol. That is a great story, and not to funny for him, I suspect?

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No surprise, there are two of these bones, and at the beach they are quite prominent in many people. The bone is often broken in a forward fall.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Aaahhh, now I have it, and believe that I have broken at least one of mine twice and the other once!!

I am off to shop!! I have some nice linen shirts for the fall, but they have collars and are such a pain to iron! I want some without them, as when they are line-dried, there is no need to iron! Yes, I am getting lazy as I get older - I used to love ironing the embroidered percale pillowcases that I inherited. Now, they go on unironed as well!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

There are two areas that I think are vulnerable to forward falls and people have two of each. One is covered often and the other mainly in cold weather. I will wait for further clues.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I am debating between going with old folks or young folks. I see lots of kids with the same bones broken and of course, we all know what bones seem most fragile in seniors.

I will also wait for more clues.

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy has it. Does that help you choose?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Aaahhh, now I have it, and believe that I have broken at least one of mine twice and the other once!!

I am off to shop!! I have some nice linen shirts for the fall, but they have collars and are such a pain to iron! I want some without them, as when they are line-dried, there is no need to iron! Yes, I am getting lazy as I get older - I used to love ironing the embroidered percale pillowcases that I inherited. Now, they go on unironed as well!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Now I have it as well. In a game of crack the whip my little sister went flying and broke hers. I remember she had to wear a metal brace. She was more concerned that her shoe was lost. We never did find that shoe.

Of eleven rambunctious farm raised kids I think that is the only broken bone.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, heck. I am guessing Nancy's reference to collars does not mean the answer is neck! Heehee. Only one of those anyway. So since the others have it, I feel pretty stupid here. I was thinking wrist, but Bobbie's shoe and metal brace reference is throwing me off. Also, not sure you would point these out as prominent at the beach, TM. Do ankles break in forward falls? I am so confused. ;)

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, not the neck, but pretty darn close to it.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Sorry I posted twice - I am challenged by this site. Google Chrome, which I love for everything else tends to time out on this site, and the ads self-launch. I hate that, and keep it closed most of the time!!

Off to stir my butter chicken and start my jasmine rice!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Shoe was not a clue, just a side consequence of a little girl getting flung about. Recently we talked of this incident and she remembered that it was painful to change her shirts.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Slapping my forehead! Duh. Rereading while watching football caused this to jump out at me. Nancy, now I get it! Thanks, TM and Bobbie, too.

I cannot believe it took me so long to get collarbone. Oh well, at least I did finally get it. How about that? I am a little surprised. Interesting fact to remember.

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good job, all. You got there!

for everyone.

I need to elaborate on this topic a little bit. While it's true that the collarbone is the bone most often broken, it isn't the place where bones are most often broken. That would be the ankle. Confusing? The thing is, the ankle has several bones that make it up, so when ankles get broken, sometimes it's this little bone that breaks, and sometimes it's that one, but no single ankle bone gets broken as often as the collarbone. I hope I explained this all right.

So, kind of a trick question, in a way, but that's how I get my jollies. :)

thanks for playing trivia with me.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun, TM. Jollies, indeed. I love your sense of humour.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the trivia and stars, TM.

It's a beautiful fall day, sunny and cool. The aching in the ankle I broke many years ago is reminding me of the benefits of hot summer days. Lots of gardening to do this week with plants to be moved and others brought inside for winter. Hope you all have a productive week.