Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Sorry to be so late. We have had an adventurous couple of days here. Annabelle continues to escape into the woods over the neighbor's fences (ours is too high and I guess we will have to extend it up the side line-ugh). Unfortunately, their fence was damaged by the hurricane when a tree came down on it. We never examined it, but now there is a sharp piece sticking out toward the woods and apparently Annabelle injured herself jumping back into our yard. She tore off the skin on a huge area of her inner thigh. Took her to the vet yesterday morning (she escaped in the three minutes I was brushing my teeth) and they had to perform surgery. Picked her up at 5:00, brought her home, gave her three different meds and had dinner. While we were eating, she silently got out of her collar (the Elizabethan kind they use to keep pets from pulling out stitches, etc.). She had pulled her drain out (eaten at least part of it and probably all since we haven't found it). Back to the vet by 7:30 where I sat until 11:00. Long story and I won't bore with anymore details, but I do have a sedative for her now. She has a new collar that is more like what people wear when they have a neck injury. She can still get to her leg, but if we keep her sedated (for 14 days???) we should be okay. Poor baby. It breaks my heart to see her-she is so confused.

If you are still with me, today's question has to do with pirates. I think everyone knows one particular pirate of the name of Blackbeard-one of my favorites because I used to live in North Carolina and Chuck and I vacation on Ocracoke Island. His flag was black with a skeleton on it. Do you know what the skeleton is stabbing with his spear?

Cynthia

Comments (24)

• frogview00
    12 years ago

My other half was born in Teachy NC. Named for the famed pirate as he took to land (for a while). I do know this one.

Love,
    Jim

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Morning All. I'm late to the party, as well. Huh. No Pirates in my family tree, that we've found so far. I am trying to visualize the flag - lol. This could take a while.

Later. Nancy. (((HUGS))) for Annabelle - Animals don't understand when they are injured that we are trying to help. Hope she heals quickly. ----oooo, I just previewed my message, and they are advertizing a new Disney talking animal flick at the top - Spooky Buddies and one of the dogs was wearing this hat - too small to actually see, though.....

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

One of my favorite spring bloomers has the same name as the item on Blackbeard's Jolly Roger.

Knew this one as my son was a pirate fanatic when he was small.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Poor Annnabelle and poor you Cyn, I know just what you're going through. Went through a similar experience with a kitty we had. She had to have the end of her tail amputated, she went wild every time she spotted the white bandage that had the end of her tail, valium calmed her down for awhile but then she went bonkers when that wore off. The end result she spent another week at the vet's under heavy sedation.

I thought the answer today's trivia was a red thingy but wasn't sure so I pulled out a Blackbeard dvd and the flag on his ship showed a skull and crossed swords. I was sure it was the red thingy but now I think I've got my pirates mixed up :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, Annette..ARRR...trust yerself, matey!

Poor kitty. At least the vet is letting us sedate her at home! Jeepers, I would hate to have to pay for a two-week (or even one week)stint at the vet!

I forgot to mention that Monday is "Talk like a Pirate Day" which is why I have been thinking of pirates. I really do think that is my favorite made-up, pointless holiday!!! :)

12 years ago

I took Pussums back our vet, told him you did the deed so you take care of the fallout LOL.

O.K. I'm back to the red thingy.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

I don't know this one, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for clues.
    TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did you know Blackbeard had 14 wives? Quite the romantic...or not?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TM, try going back to the beginning and reading through again-especially dearest Jim's post! ;)

A little more on the flag-the skeleton has horns and is holding an hour glass in one hand and the spear in the other-portending death and that time is running out.

Well, I had better get busy cleaning up the drops of blood our little sweetheart is dropping when she moves around the house-not too bad since she isn't moving much, but I have noticed a few from last night I think. I cannot believe she pulled out the drain! I am so not in the mood to clean today. I need a maid!

Cynthia

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

it has been a while since I joined in but think I can get this one. :)

12 years ago

TM, just a wee hint, what's another name for the little Viola we call Johnny-Jump-ups.

Annette

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I have no idea. Fourteen wives, huh? Concurrently?!

I use Bach Rescue Remedy flower essence to sedate pets. It can be purchased at a health food store. Another brand called English Flower Essences has a similar item called Five Flower Formula, which is just as good and usually $1-2 less expensive. Only 3-4 drops are needed at a time. The effect usually lasts at least 6 hours. I always keep a bottle on hand. I consider it an essential part of my medicine chest.

• thinman
    12 years ago

OK, I'm back to the hotel from the wedding we were attending this afternoon up in Marquette Michigan. It was my nephew's wedding and I supplied sunflowers, red amaranth, and some stalks of millet. It was a fun wedding, and afterward the bridal party all hopped on mountain bikes, yes, with girls in dresses, and did a tour around the park. Funny kids.

As for the trivia, I think I have it, thanks to Cynthia's pointing out where to find some good clues. If I'm right, this thing may attack you when you least expect it.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

OK, I'm home - girls night out after work. I am still confused, as I may never have seen a pirate flag with an hour-glass?? Maybe the red thingie is a scarf on his head? I am all asea here. lol.

Nancy - who now has to go wrestle Nicademus for my half of the bed~~~.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, the wedding fits right in, doesn't it-an affair of the heart so to speak! :) How wonderful of you to provide the flowers, TM. The combination sounds beautiful!

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Drip, drip, drip, the sound of raindrops and also the sound of the item above. While TM's attacked him, fortunately it didn't drip.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

OK, got it!! lol. Nancy.

• greylady_gardener
    12 years ago

lol! Nancy, you got it (

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ahoy me hearties!

**** for Jim, Bobbie, Annette, gg, Nancy, and TM. You all answered smartly.

Blackbeard's flag has a skeleton holding an hourglass in one hand and a spear in the other with which he is threatening a heart. There are three blood drops around the heart. I am linking to a fun site that shows the flag and tells a little about him. The hourglass on a pirate flag was meant to indicate that time was running out for surrender (or life).

Lorna, apparently only his last marriage was legitimate (a young woman-16 years old-from Bath NC where he lived near the end of his life). All the other marriages took place aboard his ship. As captain, I wonder if he performed the ceremony himself. I will also add a link to the site for "International Talk Like a Pirate Day" to enable all of us to use the correct vocabulary as we go about our day on Monday-ha. http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

And a silly youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cKCkbWDGwE

Have a delightful day everyone-blue skies and smooth sailing with the wind at your back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edward Teach

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Ahoy and aye, that's a silly video for sure, argg.

Wonder what happened to the other 13 wives?

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Aarr, "Da fallt mir doch der Papagei von der Schulter!" is a fine phrase.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia, though I didn't deserve them as much as those who actually knew the answer without hints. It was a great question.

I hope Annabelle is doing OK today. Annie here says woof to her.

Here's a riddle to ask youngsters on Talk Like a Pirate Day:

What is a pirate's favorite letter?

Rrrrrrrrr! of course.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love that they have pirate talk translated! Too funny.

I wonder about the other wives, too! One source said he was really rather pleasant to people and fell in love easily, treating each one as if she were his firast love. Hmmmm....arrr.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TM, thanks for the well wishes for Annabelle. She is not happy, but she is looking better. We know she doesn't feel great because she has gone into Chuck's office to lie under his desk near him whenever he's in there. She never does that.

I will definitely use that joke tomorrow! Very funny! Thanks!

And you do deserve the stars. Your clue was fantastic!

Cynthia

Sponsored