Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

thinman
10 years ago

Good day, dear cottagers. Rain is threatening here, but I hope it holds off until I get some gardening chores done. I'm really good about keeping my veggie garden weeded through July, but by August I tend to forget about it. I'll grab some beans, tomatoes, and potatoes, and just walk over the weeds. By September, the potato plants have shriveled up so much that I can barely find them among the crabgrass, and the whole garden is looking like a weed pit. Bad me.

But you didn't come here for my weed report, did you, so here's the trivia question for today. What Nashville hotel opened in 1869 and was used as the brand name for a very well known consumer product that was introduced in 1892. The brand is still sold today, though I don't think it is quite the top competitor it was in its heyday.

No clues are in my first paragraph, but I'll throw some in later if you need them.

TM

Comments (24)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Good morning, TM. Don't despair. My yard/garden looks like that year round. Next year, I vow to get ahead of the weeds- I make that vow every year! ;)

One particular product type comes to mind when I think of Tennessee. It was, in the past, a favorite around here, but no more. Sad for me, but good for everyone overall. Just need to come up with the correct brand if I am right.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good morning, TM!! A beautiful sunny morning here, and I am getting laundry onto the line. I hear you about weeding, and it would be ever so much easier if I could just kneel down!! Oh well. I have no clue on the trivia question, so am blathering on. Hope you have good clues!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I need clues as well.

We had rain last night, though not a lot. It was mostly thunder.
    Glad to have the rain and the end to a long string of humid 90+ degree days. I need long sleeves today as will only get to mid70s after a night of low 60s.

Weeds have been horrible this summer and think I have got them mostly under control. At this point I only need to pick them when I see one while deadheading. The mulch I put down in July is doing its job.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about the delay in giving clues. DW had a sudden urge to go buy some yarn and there is a sporting goods store right next door, so, of course, I had to go along. I came home with stuff, and she didn't. Ha!

Here's a pictorial clue for you.

{{gwi:611795}}

If you are old enough to remember who and what are in this shot, you will probably have a really good shot at the trivia answer. I'm betting you won't, heh, heh, so I have more clues in the pipeline.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Well, what do I see? California plates, so old enough that cars were already being registered, but still a crank start. Chauffeur in the background......nope, not old enough!! lol.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well! I am old enough apparently, although they are much younger in this picture than when I watched and laughed! I will have to show Chuck the car-no idea what kind it is.

Weeds! I was just outside refilling the birdbath when Chuck called down from the deck asking if I had a minute to come show him where the 'good' plants were in the side yard because the weeds were so tall they were covering them up and he was afraid to weed whack for fear of destroying something I prize. Haha. Must say, it looks quite civilized now. He done good!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

HA! Chuck knew the car right off as soon as he saw it and that gave me the hotel name and the product! It was a fixture in our house when I was growing up! He and John know everything about things that go zoom. Me, not so much. I still don't know how everything works in my own car. :)

I am sort of thinking it is cheating to use him. I will let that idea perc a bit and if necessary, I will recuse myself. At first, I was thinking whiskey, but couldn't connect that to a particular hotel.

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good for you, Cynthia, for recognizing JB and R. The "what" is the actual clue, so I hope Chuck comes through for you. :) I'll pop in with another clue as soon as DW gets off the computer where I have it stored.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, now I see JB and R!!! Can't believe I missed that!! OK, so they're looking at the crankcase, so some kind of oil??

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:611797}}{{gwi:611798}}

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, darn. Here I thought I had it. The house picture fits and if the guy is trying not to yawn that would fit, too. Isn't the name of the car the same as the hotel? And then the product took that name?Not sure how the script letters fit in. Maybe I should have had another cup of caffeine this morning.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, home sick?? Ee?? Really, really lost!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I've apparently muddied the waters a little.

I can see how it looks like the guy is starting to yawn, or maybe even sneeze, but what else could he be demonstrating? A _ _ _ _ _ .

Don't worry about the two E letters being fancy. They are just two es.

Are you there yet?

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I recognized JB & R and have an idea of the product. We're they a sponsor of JBS? All of the clues fit.

Been out grocery shopping. This is my down time of day. I'm very sleepy and need a nap or something to wake me up.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think Bobbie and I are on the same wavelength, but apparently, my mother's morning routine has nothing to do with this question. I am now completely lost. Going downstairs to get the last drop of drywall mud out of the bucket since it sounds as though my stimulating idea isn't. ;)

Is the fellow coughing? Will check back in a bit.

Cynthia

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cynthia, I'm pretty sure you have it, and Bobbie probably does too.

Nancy, see if this helps.

(Old car brand) + House + Cough + EE

Hmmm?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Oh so painful, but Cyn's coffee clue led me there, my poor brain kicking and screaming all the way. So there really was MHH??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ooohh..now I see where you are going! Sounds like...Phew. I thought I was losing my mind.

So, for some bizarre reason, my head just went to an old Beatle tune about someone's silver hammer. ;). Now, if that doesn't give it to our resident music genius, nothing will (although she probably already figured it out). I have a bad feeling that that tune will be stuck in my head all night. I should not watch Midsomer Murders on tv!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Maxwell House Hotel.

Of course you had to "paint" me a picture before I could get it. I take it that the car is a Maxwell.

Thanks for a jog down memory lane (JB & R). I'm not a coffee drinker though remember the advertising slogan"good to the last drop".

• thinman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, there was a Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville. It was well known from the 1890s through the early part of the 1900s, hosting notables such as Jane Addams, Sarah Bernhardt, William Jennings Bryan, Enrico Caruso,"Buffalo Bill" Cody, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Annie Oakley, William Sydney Porter (O. Henry), General Tom Thumb, Cornelius Vanderbilt, George Westinghouse, and Presidents Andrew Johnson, Rutherford B. Hayes, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, William McKinley, William Howard Taft, and Woodrow Wilson. It burned down on Christmas night in 1961.

A man named Joel Cheek developed a coffee blend and formed the The Nashville Coffee and Manufacturing Company. His coffee was so tasty that in 1892 the Maxwell House Hotel used it exclusively for its guests, and Cheek started using Maxwell House Coffee as a brand name.

The car in the picture with Jack Benny and Eddie Anderson was a 1923 Maxwell. Maxwells were made from 1904 to 1925, and for a time were considered one of the top three autos in the US, along with Buick and Ford.

for all three of you. I hope you all have a good week.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Thanks TM - I did not know that history!!

Have a great week all. Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars, TM. Had Chuck not identified the car (how does he know that?), I would have been struggling. Terrific trivia. Wonder if my sister-in-law who lives outside Nashville knows that!

Have a wonderful week all. I am over the excitement of learning how to repair/put up drywall. Doesn't look like the guest room will be ready as soon as I expected, so if you were planning a weekend stay next week, you may need to reschedule! ;)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Cynthia, it would not be the first time I slept on the floor of a room with mudded but not painted walls. But, other plans for next weekend so won't be dropping in (inn). Maybe on next summer's travels. Expect your guest room will be done by then.

Thanks for the interesting question and history lesson, TM.

It is already a good week, Nancy, with the heat wave broken, even though I am freezing today. Temps back in the mid to high 70s and low to mid 80s for the rest of the week. Tomorrow we have a trip to the MN Arboretum, one of my favorite places. Should see the dahlia garden in bloom and the ornamental grasses at their best. Late summer and early fall perennials will be blooming and the annual garden in full splendor.

So, September, shedding summer.

Sponsored