Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Holy cow!! It is COLD!! They said we were going to have frost overnight, and they might have been right. Darn, so now, instead of weeding, I may be hauling my tenders inside today. Ah Summer, you're over too soon. Sigh.

Well, you know - these questions sometimes don't come easily. And when they do, it's easy come, easy go. I had a great idea yesterday, about 5 am. I thought, I should write that down when I get back from the washroom...no idea what it was, but it was great. I guarantee you.

So here is my feeble offering this week, born of desperation.

Do you like acronyms? I do. Words made up of the first letters of a phrase, like NASA, SCUBA or laser. They become a part of our lexicon. I was a travel agent for over 20 years, and I do miss that job. It doesn't exist anymore, but it was fun while it lasted. Code was a way of life, the way we spoke, and there are some airlines whose names are anagrams. How many can you guess? Hint: one, not even seasoned veterans get right very often.

1. B.O.A.C.

2. QANTAS

3. KLM - I'll take the English translation

4. SAS

5. L.I.A.T.

6. TWA

An unusual number to be sure. I'll be back with clues, if you smart guys need them!!

Nancy.

Comments (22)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Not that easy peesy, I think I know 1, 2, and 6. The rest ?????.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

the only one I don't know is #5. I have a thought for the L and the I, but I am probably wrong.

Oh, and I have done the same thing in re: ideas! So irritating and I am sure it was a suberb question!!!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

L.I.A.T is a funny one - at least to me! I have flown it a couple of times, usually with some trepidation. The letters have a couple of humourous substitutions - Luggage In Another Terminal; Leave Island Any time - both sadly accurate!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm a little late checking in today, as I am on Seattle time. Hi, Annette. I can't see you from here, but I know you're not too far away.

The only one of these airlines I totally know is TWA. I know QUANTAS is Australian and KLM is Dutch, but I don't know the acronyms. Maybe there will be some friendly coat tails I can ride in on.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

QANTAS is an unusual case. Everyone thinks it is a word. It started in the north of Australia...does that help?

Nancy

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 14:14

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Is there a New York connection to LIAT?

There could be a tenuous connection between Qantas and KLM, TM. All those royals are related to one another, aren't they?

My favorite is Air New Zealand because of their Middle Earth scenes on the planes. Also like Air France and Air Tahiti Nui (partner airlines with lovely service).

Someday, I would love to be able to fly first class or even business. Ain't gonna happen, I fear. :(

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia, no Long Island connection, sorry.

Nancy.

9 years ago

TM, not too far away, just an hour and forty minute ferry ride and maybe a three hour road trip to Seattle, sticking to the speed limit of course, lots of smokies along the way :). We use to spend a lot of weekends in Seattle back in the 70's and 80's, there were some really great restaurants back then, probably still are.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia, no Long Island connection, sorry.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, and yes, a royal connection for KLM and QANTAS.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

LIAT. Okay, nothing to do with Long Island. How about Laughing Indian Acrobatic Transport?

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

OK, I'm getting a vibe here. Queensland May be the Q in QUANTAS, and King or King's may be the K in KLM.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KLM is in Dutch. The English translation has royal in it. You are correct about the Q.

LIAT is one of those stalwarts in the Caribbean. Named for not Long Island, but some others.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Sorry, thought that it was Friday. Have gotten my days all mixed up.

Know parts of several and making quesses on others
    1. British ? Air Canada.

2. Queensland and Northern Territory Airline Service

3. Royal Dutch Airlines

4. Scandinavian Airline Service

5. ? Island Air Transport

6. Trans World Airlines

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Okay, here are my guesses:

1. B.O.A.C. British Overseas Airline Corp. ( or maybe Company?)

2. QANTAS Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service

3. KLM - I'll take the English translation Royal Dutch Airlines

4. SAS Scandanavian Airline System

5. L.I.A.T. Guessing here from your clue! Lesser Islands of the Antilles Transport. Yikes that can't be right, but I have never been to the Carribean so...

6. TWA Trans World Airlines

Can't wait to read the answers!

Cynthia

9 years ago

I'll go along with Cyn, I thought the same for 1, 2 and 6, the rest I haven't even heard of so I'll fly in on Cyn's coattails LOL.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

4 might be Service. Not sure of that last initial.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I have only these:

3. Royal Dutch Airlines
    6. Trans-World Airlines

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grrrr....double posts - it is a tablet thing I fear

Nancy.

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 12:46

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I am tremendously impressed that 2 of you got Qantas. People in the industry don't always know this - kudos!!

1. B.O.A.C. - British Overseas Airways Corporation

2. QANTAS - Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services

3. KLM - Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij - or Royal Dutch Airlines, which is what the Dutch means

4. SAS - Scandinavian Airlines System

5. L.I.A.T. - Leeward Islands Air Transport - based in Antigua. They flew Hawker Siddeley HS 748's for many years, that had formerly belonged to the Chilean air Force - the joke was even they wouldn't fly them anymore. It was a common sight to see the plane with engine cowlings off on the runway, with mechanics hanging out of the engine - not confidence inspiring.

6. TWA - Trans World Airlines - founded by Howard Hughes.

Fun stuff - I used to love the names and the meanings!! don't even get me started on bird icons for airlines!!

So, for Cynthia, Annette and Bobbie:
    {{gwi:611961}}{{gwi:611961}}{{gwi:611961}}{{gwi:611961}}

For TM:
    {{gwi:611961}}{{gwi:611961}}

Thanks for playing -- see you all next week!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Had to think for awhile as so used to using and seeing the acronyms but not the full name.

Thanks, Nancy. You were very generous with the planes.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Cute planes. Thanks, Nancy. It was a cool question.

TM

Sponsored