Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, Happy Sunday Morning!! A fine Fall day here!! Our foster cat Lily does not understand that it is difficult to work the computer with a purring orange cutie on your lap, but I will press on!! -no clues there, btw.

The Who became known for energetic live performances which often included instrument destruction. The Who have sold about 100 million records,and have charted 27 top forty singles in the United Kingdom and United States, as well as 17 top ten albums, with 18 Gold, 12 Platinum and 5 Multi-Platinum album awards in the United States alone.

Bass Player John Entwistle once remarked that their onstage antics were because they would do anything to get the 'birds' to look at them instead of Roger Daltrey! They each had an on-stage schtick: Daltrey, generally bare-chasted in the 70's, twirling his mike; Moon going wild on the drum kit; Enstwistle chose to move as little as possible, often wearing what resembled a skeleton Halloween costume; Townsend had several signature moves, but his most famous became the 'windmill':

{{gwi:612111}}

I suspect that even non-rock music lovers know what I mean. Pete 'borrowed' this move after seeing another rock guitarist warm up pre-show....dare I say Who?? btw, if it helps, it was early in their career, and they were opening for this band.

That's all you get, right now - I'll be back with clues later!!

Nancy.

Comments (25)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Uhoh, need clues. One person came to mind immediately, but he was a single performer backed by a band. Can't imagine the Who opening for him. Will think on this and look for clues.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:612112}}
    Well, ahem, yes, they were a tad violent on stage! Daltrey says the guitar breaking started quite innocently. In their early days, Townsend used to play the guitar behind his head, throw it up in the air and catch it to continue playing. One night, they were playing in a club where the stage had a lower than normal ceiling, and the guitar hit the ceiling and broke. Townsend had a fit, as in those days, he could barely afford strings, let alone another/new guitar, but....the crowd went wild, cheering him on, and he finished the job on the thing with gusto. The person in question is another story. They were already getting big at this time. Who members could relate to this band, they said, more than the Beatles, as they were follow Londoners....does any of this help??

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant fellow, not follow - sorry.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

My guess would be Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Hmmm, I think of Richards as much more contained on stage-unlike in life-ha!

I am not sure I have my timelines straight as I seem to want to place all these bands as rising at the same time. However, I am on a different page than Honalee. Heavy and airborne at the same time?

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

The Stones were having hits a few years before the Who hit the charts. I'm thinking it was a foxy American guitarist, who couldn't experience a break in the States. He moved to London realizing he might have a better opportunity, made it big in the U.K., then came back to the US as a huge star spangled rock'n roll legend. (He was a legend in his own time!)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Lorna, I thought of him, too, but he wasn't really a fellow Londoner and Nancy keeps referencing "this band" rather than "this guitarist", so I figured it probably isn't. Could be wrong, though.

The Stones would fit, but Jagger is the only one I can remember as being wild on stage.

I think I will stick with my guess--"the god of guitar" and could be wild on stage-oh mama the way he moved. He was/is a Heartbreaker-also had better hair than I had! :)

Off to check on our Black Dog. Collar comes off tomorrow. Well, at least the stitches come out tomorrow.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. I had a rule in the 70's - never date a guy who had better hair than I did!!!

My Jango on-line radio station just played one of my favorite John Hiatt tunes, "Oh,it breaks my heart to see those stars, Smashing a perfectly good guitar, I don't know who they think they are, Smashing a perfectly good guitar."

Somebody is right, but I am going to leave you all stew for a bit. The violence wasn't just onstage with these guys. Roger Daltrey was a sheet-metal apprentice, in those days, and known as a 'hard man', Londoner code for tough guy. If anyone gave the band a hard time, failed to pay up, whatever, Daltrey 'gave you fives'. Fists. Daltrey and Townsend were at constant odds about who was in charge. Daltrey had started the 'High Numbers', which morphed into 'The Who'. Townsend became the chief songwriter, though Daltrey and Entwhistle both also contributed. Townsend was skinny and awkward; Daltrey tough and strong. Daltrey teased Townsend that he looked like a broomstick that had swallowed a walnut, one night at practice. Incensed, Townsend came after him with a pretty lethal weapon, a Fender Stratocaster. He missed, and Daltry dropped him with one punch. And so it goes.

Nancy.

12 years ago

You're not talking about James Brown are you?

12 years ago

Ok, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin. I can see him on stage but had to think about who it was. Don't know if my timeline is right though........?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I've been lurking all day, another one I don't know the answer :(.

Annette

12 years ago

Had to think about Jimmy with the Yardbirds first. Led Zeppelin was more my time. I remembered the move in Stairway To Heaven on stage. The first song anyone who learned to play the guitar learned to play!

There is still controversey about who's move that was: Keith's or Jimmy's; and who Pete borrowed it from.

Interestingly, I have a stairway to heaven in my Angel garden plans in the making. :)

PS James Brown came from my husband today. He was better help last weekend but I think he missed the London part. Lol!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

My guess is Jimmy Page, too.

Glad you are here, Annette!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I think it was bad boy Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones as well.

Who realized that smashing a guitar was to become part of their business plan? (No pun intended, ha, ha). At the time I thought it was just those drugged up British rockers. Wonder if they kept a cheap guitar to switch to before the smash up?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well. yes it was Keith, our poster boy for rock destruction!!
    Pete saw him warming up one night, pre-show, and liked the theatrics. As noted, they were always trying to get the birds to check them out...{{gwi:612113}}instead of this guy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, for honalee and mnswgal,

Many savvy music people equate Mick Jagger and Roger Daltrey in the same plane: keeping their golden 'geese' producing, or at least functioning. An interesting equation, the Beatles never had to endure, as John was knocked off early. Paul got to proceed on his own, as he wished!! lol. Careful what you wish for.

Nancy.

12 years ago

So I was right the first time! Why didn't you say so? Still say there is controversey about that one. Jimmy Page did it many times as well. So maybe it was his move to begin with who Keith copied from......? I do know that all those guys had better hair than I did! Lol!

• thinman
    12 years ago

I'm glad I didn't guess on this one. I would have been way off. Last night as I was waiting for sleep to take me, the name Peter Frampton popped into my head. Good guitarist, but not a windmill guy I guess.

Good question, Nancy.

12 years ago

Good one TM! I thought of him too but only cause they were all arm swingers back then! Nancy gave it away for me when she said they were Beatles rivals! They were all amazing guitarists with lotza hair! :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting, too, that they all copied the same American records. The Who did a pretty fair version of Twist and Shout, as did the Stones!! They actually all became friends. Keith Moon was out to a movie premier with Paul and Linda McCartney, the night he died. Jimmy Page was still with the Yardbirds at this time - Led Zepelin did not form til 1968. Page actually worked as a session musician for both the Stones, and the Who (rhythm guitar on 'Can't Explain)in the very early, pre-Yardbirds time. I had more of a crush on Robert Plant, who emulated Roger Daltrey's 'Tommy hair', the long bouncy curls. So did Peter Frampton. Thick as thieves, as they say!! Sorry, Honalee, I did say someone was right, I just like to drag it out a bit, to let everyone weigh in!!

Thanks for playing, everyone. Nancy.

12 years ago

I got that, Nancy. I'm new at this game here and usually go with my first instinct but you had me second guessing myself. I'm like a dog with a bone when it comes to trivia! ;)

The Who opened for the Yardbirds too. And I knew Led Zeppelin was formed later in the 60s. Sometimes I think they were all interchangable! Love the British Invasion! Thanks for the game. ;)

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I once went to an afternoon concert where the Who and the Rolling Stones got equal billing. It was a Day on the Green at the Oakland Coliseum (in California). I don't remember the date, the mid-80s I think.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That would have been amazing - I am so envious!! I saw 2 old guys named Pete and Roger a couple of years back - they really rocked the house. Daltrey is touring 'Tommy' across NA right now, with a stop in Ottawa (nearby) this coming Wednesday - sadly not in the budget, right now. Guess I'll fire up the old VHS machine and watch 'Live at the Isle of Wight' - a fine concert!! Not sure I'd go to see the Stones, I like some of their tunes, just was always a Beatles girl. I should try to find some trivia on them. I've read a couple of books, but nothing springs to mind. Oh well, some of these subjects wake me up on Saturday nights, you know!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Honalee, we always wait until the next day to give everyone a chance to weigh in on the answers. If you know it, you can always chime in with clues for those of us who aren't sure. TM is a master at that!

Thanks Nancy. Another fun question.

12 years ago

So i see. Forgive me, I am new at this and only familiar with board game trivia. :) I did better this weekend like today. ;)